ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 06:57 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd

Here's how to build the only intake that *actually* does something constructive:
Get on ebay & buy a 2.75" to 3" silicon coupler, and an AFM Adapter WITH a cone filter. That should set you back $25-30.
Go to... Anywhere Lowes/Home Depot / Auto store. Buy a plastic 5/8" barb, 2' of 5/8" hose, and something like Automotive Goop.

1) Drill / grind a 5/8" hole in the top, or bottom of the AFM housing on the flat spot, AFTER everything & just BEFORE the hose flange

2) Cut the barb in half, leaving the flange on one side intact (Mine was a 5/8" to 3/4" barb)

3) Push the hose barb in the hole from the inside out. That way it catches on the flange & gives you some surface area. Goop/Epoxy/Whatever the hose barb in

4) Bolt the AFM adapter to the AFM, & clamp the filter on
5) Clamp the silicon coupler to the AFM
6) Rotate the entire intake clockwise about 45-60* on the throttlebody when you install it
7) Install the 5/8" hose VERY GENTLY
8) Reconnect the AFM
9) Pull the EFI fuse, and count to One - Brandon-kicks-a-lot-of-***. Then replace it.

This accomplishes moving the AFM as close to the throttle plate as possible. This increases the resolution of data that the ECU see's to the maximum it ever will, and increase throttle response across the board. It also gives the best transition, shortest, and smallest amount of intake restrictions currently possible. It's the only way you're *actually* going to gain power with an intake, unless the intake includes a n2o fogger, or a turbo at some point.

Not to mention it's... A very aggressive sound. Especially after modding the ACIS closed.
Remember to take off the wire clip on the AFM to get the harness off... Otherwise you'll rip half the PCB out when you tug the cable.

(I had some 2.75" couplers on hand so I used that. But you want to use a 2.75" to 3" coupler.
You can also adjust the AFM cog. See previous posts on that.
Old 02-20-06, 05:54 PM
RSX989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey nice post
what kind of power gain is this gonna get?
Old 02-21-06, 12:35 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

that's crazy.... ............nice thread.

I swear phoenix, you are like a master tech

so, does it really have any performance gain?
Old 02-21-06, 01:38 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I'm re-modding my valve body mod this week. I'll show you next week.
Old 02-23-06, 07:03 AM
BumpinLex
Driver School Candidate

Hey I love the post, been looking for an intake for a long time, unfortunatly there are none made, so I wound up putting a k&n in the stock intake box and drilled a bunch of holes in it, very ghetto, but desperate, and it does actually sound kinda cool. I would however like to try your type of intake, only prob is mine is a 99 and a lot different. Just woundering if u knew nething about the 99's.....coming off the intake are dual pipes going into a box, then into a single pipe where the mass air flow sensor is, then to the intake box...
Old 02-23-06, 09:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Would love to see this intake you are talking about making.

Mine for my RX are at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/6

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-23-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-24-06, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't wanna make K&N look bad, but I found this page, and it has some info. It looks credible because the guy has some charts to prove his points. Here's the site:

click here
Old 02-24-06, 12:07 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

That's just gadget. K&N air filters suck ***. All air filters suck. No one air filter has any more performance than any other clean air filter. You're talking like 0.2-.05 in/water pressure drop across filters. That's like... Tenths of a horsepower at full load, peak rpm.

Bumpin, sure you could do it. Measure the OD of the throttlebody, make/buy a good flowing Y into a 3" pipe. Then simply mount your MAF a few inches before the Y.
Old 02-28-06, 04:29 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Download Xvid if you can't watch this movie.
http://www.turbotoyota.com/Intakes&E...BestIntake.avi

You can hear the ticking from all my lifter bucket's being mixed up.

That is so loud, watch the resonation vibrate the camera. Also note the AFM signal is practically maxed out for N/A @ 0.27v. Maximum possible (Only achiveable by pushignt he flap open by hand, or via boost) is 0.03v.
Old 03-08-06, 07:47 PM
papachino
Pole Position

wow, there is alot of differences (probally mods) in your engine then mine. How did you deal with the square section on the MAF? Also why is there something like an oil filter near your valve covers?
Old 03-09-06, 03:37 PM
RSX989
Driver School Candidate

will just removing the intake box do any good?
Old 07-27-06, 03:55 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone else followed these steps and applied them to there ES yet?
Old 07-28-06, 05:46 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

i dont kno about "the only intake that actually works" cuz i jus installed a Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Ram Intake on my 94 es300 and it works great. iv gained approx. 15 horsepower and it has a real aggressive sound, i love it. and for the guy with the 99 es, they make it for your car too, check this site out, this is where i got mine: http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/w...intakes/lexus/ ... and i also completely took out my air filter box when i installed this, it frees up a lot of room. i recommend this part to anyone. if anyone wants to see a pic of my intake check out http://my.prostreetonline.com/member/truplaya26/ or http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2401731 and it cost roughly $200 after shipping but you can install it yourself, its really easy, takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
Old 07-28-06, 06:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
i dont kno about "the only intake that actually works" cuz i jus installed a Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Ram Intake on my 94 es300 and it works great. iv gained approx. 15 horsepower and it has a real aggressive sound, i love it. and for the guy with the 99 es, they make it for your car too, check this site out, this is where i got mine: http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/w...intakes/lexus/ ... and i also completely took out my air filter box when i installed this, it frees up a lot of room. i recommend this part to anyone. if anyone wants to see a pic of my intake check out http://my.prostreetonline.com/member/truplaya26/ or http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2401731 and it cost roughly $200 after shipping but you can install it yourself, its really easy, takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
The Secret Intake is a slight step up in design from the Dragon, which did not do much on my RX so I went custom as I mentioned earlier.
Old 07-28-06, 06:26 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well im not bashing your custom design, its actually pretty cool, im jus sayin that other intakes do increase performance, it jus depends on which intake and for what car.

Quick Reply: The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd