ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fixing the Radio LCD

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 05:50 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Not everything is lost actually, while not so trivial, those are standard lights that can still be obtained, albeit not from Toyota directly. I wasn't able to spot any kind of difference between Black and Brown bulbs in the Climate Control Unit other than the color, and here is a light bulb that fits pretty much perfect into both of those chassis, at least according to numbers.

As for the Radio, I am yet to get those bulbs out, so I don't know what dimensions are they. Here is a full catalog of the website I linked earlier, but I would also appreciate if someone can get those lights out of the radio and measure them.

EDIT: Coming to think of it, a while back I managed to use one of those Neo-Wedge lights in the display of that radio in a pinch once, I just found the bulb that is close enough in size, unraveled the contacts and soldered them in place of the old bulb. From what I know, that still works, but the color of the lighting on the radio was a little different from that of the climate control..

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 01-28-22 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 06:03 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Question for the 3d Gen experts.

Are you guys experiencing the entire LCD display
( IE channel #, station # AM , FM ) going out?

I just started experiencing the #sign 1/2 way disappearing
but then it would momentarily come back. Have you
experienced this issue or everything in the display is gone at
one time?
Old 01-28-22, 06:17 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Question for the 3d Gen experts.

Are you guys experiencing the entire LCD display
( IE channel #, station # AM , FM ) going out?

I just started experiencing the #sign 1/2 way disappearing
but then it would momentarily come back. Have you
experienced this issue or everything in the display is gone at
one time?
It is a pretty common issue, here you can find more information about it. In short, sooner or later, no matter whether you use the radio or not, the display will inevitably fail on those cars. There are ... were several ways to go about it - replace the screen or replace the radio itself.

There was time when Pioneer officially sold replacement displays for those radios, but it appears that this time is long gone by now and those are now discontinued, for better or for worse, considering the asking price of about $200 for one. The only way to get a replacement screen now is to buy a donor unit, but it is only to prolong the agony, such replacement will fail as well eventually.

The other option is quite a bit more tempting in that regard, and I am not talking about a new aftermarket unit. It appears that with a facelift in a year 2000, they did find a way to combat this issue, so there are far less cases of those screens failing in the same way as they used to, with that, they also replaced connectors for the new unit, so it is not a plug-and-play option. However, there is a way to go about it, adding some nice wood trim in the process as well, here you can find a thread that explains how to make an adapter for the new radio to work with the old wiring without having to cut into it, making the mod completely reversible.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 01-28-22 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
Hayk (01-28-22), NewSlang (01-17-24)
Old 01-28-22, 08:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Arsenii thanks for the detailed response. That’s definitely something I would do to my car, just not sure how comfortable people are with soldering/finding matching bulbs if they’re not able to find replacement parts on their own so I usually default to suggesting easier plug and play options.
Old 01-28-22, 08:14 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hayk
Arsenii thanks for the detailed response. That’s definitely something I would do to my car, just not sure how comfortable people are with soldering/finding matching bulbs if they’re not able to find replacement parts on their own so I usually default to suggesting easier plug and play options.
I just always like to have options..
Old 01-29-22, 05:26 PM
Jrb2u
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsguillet
Argh! I ordered the part from Pioneer ($102 including shipping) and it got here today. But, alas, it's the wrong part for my Nakamichi radio! I can't seem to find the LCD display anywhere. Found a couple of places in FL that will replace it for me if I ship the radio to them. Anyone know where to get Nakamichi display?
How do you know if you have a ‘Nakamichi’ radio? Can you tell without dismantling everything or do you have to take it all apart first.
Old 01-29-22, 06:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrb2u
How do you know if you have a ‘Nakamichi’ radio? Can you tell without dismantling everything or do you have to take it all apart first.
It was a very rare option and would say it in the top right corner of the radio unit.

The following users liked this post:
Jrb2u (01-30-22)
Old 01-30-22, 01:51 AM
Sol1977
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixing the Radio LCD

Originally Posted by Hayk
It sounds like you came across my YouTube video. As you mentioned the parts became discontinued shortly after I published my video with their parts numbers which I believe is around 2018-2019.

I just double checked the Lexus part numbers and it appears this one is discontinued:

HVAC lights
Black Bulbs - 90010-03002

I think at this time your best bet is to switch to a modern radio unit. Maybe something that has CarPlay or similar.

It’s a real bummer not being able to source replacement parts and I wonder how long my radio will continue to work before I have to make the same decision. It’s just the reality of owning a car that’s over two decades old.
Thank you very much for the reply..I guess that's the next best option..
The following users liked this post:
Jrb2u (01-30-22)