ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1993 ES300 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 12:49 AM
kook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ES300 problems

last night as I was coming home from town (16 mile drive), I stopped by Jack in box which was 2 miles from home, BOOM! as soon as I pull out of the parking lot onto the road the car starts shaking. If I stay at idle it would eventually die out. So I kept the gas going even at stop lights and what not, I did notice this sound that goes with the vibration since my windows were down, it sounded like the boxer engines on a Subaru. I was trippin out! When I got home I turned the car off, checked the fluids (looked okay), ate my food and slept. The next morning I start the car, BOOM! It was normal, I was wondering what the hell then, turned the car off and did some work around the house. Night time came and I went to go put gas, turned the car on, fine, drived cautiously, all good. Got home, good. Now heres what I did, I burped a few tones from my audio system, turned the stereo off, then BOOM! came that dieing idle then death. So I figured it was electrical. The day before yesterday I bought a JBL 1200.1, its a current hog putting out over 1200 watts RMS. After the car died out, I turned it on again and it came on. Then I tried blasting the bass again, yep died. Im assuming the amplifier draws more than what the alternator can supply then sucking out the life of the battery which maybe damaged the cells. I think the WRX sound is probly spark plug failure or something. What im asking is,

could there be anything else causing it? As for electrical, should I get a good battery such as Optima Yellow top? id like some input, thanks.
Old 02-27-06, 01:33 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Is the engine going boom, or the subwoofers?
If it's the sub's going boom, then they're either shorting, the signal to the amp is shorting, or they're ungrounding for a second & regrounding, the surge poping the subs.
If the engine's going boom, it may be backfiring through the intake, or out the exhaust from a lack of ignition.

Engine's tend to die when they don't have any electricity to run the fuel & ignition components.

Test the battery & the alt. Sounds like you've solved it by yourself.
Old 02-27-06, 02:39 PM
kook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Is the engine going boom, or the subwoofers?
If it's the sub's going boom, then they're either shorting, the signal to the amp is shorting, or they're ungrounding for a second & regrounding, the surge poping the subs.
If the engine's going boom, it may be backfiring through the intake, or out the exhaust from a lack of ignition.

Engine's tend to die when they don't have any electricity to run the fuel & ignition components.

Test the battery & the alt. Sounds like you've solved it by yourself.

my bad, when I use BOOM! its not for the actual noise, boom as in thats the instant it happens. its not backfiring or subwoofer. Its strange.