ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need Advice on 200K miles major service

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 01:49 PM
detaude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on 200K miles major service

Hey guys, this is my first post on this board, so please bear with me.

Last year I bought my 1992 ES300 with 186K miles for $2500. Now it has 192K miles and I am thinking about doing a major service to keep it running for at least another few years.

So far, I've replaced the serp belts, got new pads all around and new rotors in the back, and new CV joints in the front too. Plus some new tires, I've spent about $1000 in repairs so far, and the car is running fine for now. The only obvious problem it has right now is I think it's leaking a little bit of oil through the valve cover gasket and I can sometimes smell it being burned. Also the valves are kind of loud when the car is reved high, so a valve adjustment won't hurt.

Okay, here is the plan/need.
I am going to be moving across the country this summer from Seattle to Miami, it's a major trip and if I am bringing my car with me it has to be in top notch condition. With that said, I've found a mechanic who is willing to do major tune up and timing belt with water pump for $350. I just have to get my own parts. With that said, can you guys help me come up with a list of parts to replace and services to do??? What website do you guys usually order parts from???

So far I have:
-timing belt
-waterpump
-thermostat
-spark plugs
-wire/cap/rotor
-air filter
-flush coolant
-flush transmission fluid

Here is my last thought: I don't know how much more life this car has and how much more money I have to keep on dumping into it. The struts on the car are bad so I would eventually have to replace them too. That would be another $800 probably... If I do bring this car with me to Miami, it would have to be very reliable because I'll be going to school full time with no energy to mess with cars. Is it worth it? Should I just move on and find another car with less miles?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-08-06, 02:30 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Valve cover gaskets are no big deal
Cam, crank & distributor seal
Use Denso/Toyota wires, unless you're picking up really good performance ones.
PCV valve
Radiator & intake manifold pressure caps
2x main o2 sensors
flush brake fluid
flush powersteering fluid

Springs & struts are a reality. I don't care if someone drives the wheels off a car VS storing it in a barn for 10 years. You only get 10 years out of any suspension. & you don't replace struts. You replace both springs, and struts. Springs don't last any longer than struts.

Are you sure it's the valves/lifter buckets making the noise?

No point in buying another car. You're not going to make money by selling this one, and you're not going to afford a brand new car with a warrantee. If you don't like the car, then buy something that makes your boat float. If you do like the car, general maintenance. You're gonna be stuck doing some type of maintenance on any car that's probably 40,000 miles old.
Old 03-08-06, 02:33 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these cars are good but its tough. you either buy a car to last through college or you invest a chunk rght now and hope nothing major goes out like a tranny. Luckily florida weather is actually not to bad on cars. if you were going to have to survive a michigan winter each year through college ide think about buying a car with a good warranty. so. yeah that was really helpful. mine is a 96 with 157k miles....so far im good for another year or so.
Old 03-08-06, 03:30 PM
papachino
Pole Position

you can always sell that car and pick another one up here in Florida, I don't know how attached to the car you are. If it were me I would get the basics. Check all hoses and electrical, engine mounts. Since it's a yota it should last a while. If you keep smelling burnt oil then your valve conver gasket is leaking fast. That shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just keep the major stuff proper because that will cost the more than the minor stuff later on.
Old 03-08-06, 11:11 PM
detaude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Valve cover gaskets are no big deal
Cam, crank & distributor seal
Use Denso/Toyota wires, unless you're picking up really good performance ones.
PCV valve
Radiator & intake manifold pressure caps
2x main o2 sensors
flush brake fluid
flush powersteering fluid

Springs & struts are a reality. I don't care if someone drives the wheels off a car VS storing it in a barn for 10 years. You only get 10 years out of any suspension. & you don't replace struts. You replace both springs, and struts. Springs don't last any longer than struts.

Are you sure it's the valves/lifter buckets making the noise?

No point in buying another car. You're not going to make money by selling this one, and you're not going to afford a brand new car with a warrantee. If you don't like the car, then buy something that makes your boat float. If you do like the car, general maintenance. You're gonna be stuck doing some type of maintenance on any car that's probably 40,000 miles old.
Oh yeah, those damn seals! My brake fluids were just flushed when I got new pads, so they should be good for a few years.

I am really not too excited about spending another $1K replacing suspension on a car with 200K miles... What happens if I drive on them for the next few years, say another 40K miles??? Right now they are pretty soft and my car isn't too tight when being thrown around the highway onramps, and they do make this clunk noise when going over bumps.

As far as the valve/lifter noise is concerned, I am pretty sure because it's this clinking metal pitch noise that gets louder as the harder I rev. Maybe it's something else, I hope it's nothing too major.

Not attached to this car at all, but I am not sure if it will survive the long summer drive across country if no major service is done. I don't want it to die on the way to FL, especially not any where in the deep south...

Thanks for all the advices you guys, what an amazing and knowledgable community here! I am at a position right now where I can't decide whether to move on with a different or another car with lesser miles and lesser service needs.
Old 03-09-06, 04:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Add a fuel filter to that list too.
Old 03-09-06, 07:47 AM
detaude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Add a fuel filter to that list too.
The dealer told me the fuel filter is a lifetime part and it doesn't need to be replaced. Where do you guys ususally order parts from?
Old 03-09-06, 11:55 AM
that guy
Driver School Candidate

No Way Is A Fuel Filter Lifetime!!!!!! Try Taking Your Fuel Filter Off An Blow Through It I Bet You You Can't!!!! Should Change Fuel Filter Every 80,000kms !!! You Can Buy A Fuel Filter Any Where Napa Bumper To Bumber There Even Cheep At The Dealer
Old 03-09-06, 03:38 PM
papachino
Pole Position

with that list you should pick up another car like that here in fl. Price of mechanics would be around another lex unless you do work your self. I bought my lex fo $1200, but I bought it from my dad.
Old 03-11-06, 10:22 AM
detaude
Driver School Candidate

Where do you guys suggest that I buy parts from?