ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Braking Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 03:09 PM
hmkim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking Power

Maybe I'm spoiled by incredible braking power of my 2003 Odyssey. But I'm
not too impressed with braking power of my new 2006 ES 330. How would you rate braking power of the ES?
Old 03-09-06, 03:17 PM
papachino
Pole Position

for a lex, I feel that my es should have better brakes, the stock brakes and pad sucks (for the way I drive) and I want stainless steel lines. When you brake alot it just feels more spongy. abs= I hate the fact that computers control the car
Old 03-09-06, 04:35 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

06 ES=pregnant football :-\
Old 03-09-06, 04:54 PM
hmkim
Rookie

My Odyssey's brakes stop the car with strong force. They feel very solid. My ES's brakes feel too spongy in comparison. I haven't scientifically tested both cars' braking power but it feels that my Odyssey takes shorter to stop than my Lex.
Old 03-09-06, 05:23 PM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hmkim
My Odyssey's brakes stop the car with strong force. They feel very solid. My ES's brakes feel too spongy in comparison. I haven't scientifically tested both cars' braking power but it feels that my Odyssey takes shorter to stop than my Lex.
Yes, I know what you mean. My aunt has an odessey and I must say I am impressed with the stopping power. Although, I have no complaints about the stopping power of my 97 es.

TWO-BIT, please refrain from posting your opinions in threads like these. It is YOUR opinion and is completely off-topic. Please keep your opinions and thoughts to yourself when posting in a thread of this sort.
Old 03-09-06, 05:40 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

hmkim the Camry platform brakes are very strong.

Just to stop everybody in their tracks, because I hate the "the Toyota brakes suck" discussions, and seemingly every discussion winds up into a "Toyota brakes suck" talk...

Welcome to both Toyota's, and my idea of how general passanger car brakes should be. The throw is very exponential to provide the vast majority of drivers (Read that as idiots behind the wheel) the ability to come to a smoothe, controlled stop.
Just to thwart any future comments:
It is NOT:
A Defective system
A "low" pedal
Poor quality components
If you push the brake pedal *quickly* (QUICKLY DOES NOT EQUAL HARD, it means fast) The pedal pressure will instantly stiffen.

If you go back and look over the years, the v6 Camry platform always ranks near the tops of it's class in braking performance. Especially with ABS.

For anyone that doesn't like how Toyota sets up *every* general passanger car they've built in the last 15-20 years:
1) Never buy a Toyota product, because it's not going to change...
2) Go to extreme effort and replace the brake master cylinder, and vacuum assist with something from a vehicle of similar weight / parts capability, and stopping performance.
Old 03-09-06, 06:01 PM
hmkim
Rookie

Actually, the brakes of my ES feel and perform like those of a 96 Camry it replaced. I guess I'm spoiled by the Odyssey's brakes.
Old 03-09-06, 06:31 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Right. Toyota's been doing the same thing for like 15-20 years now.

For the Camry platform. It's pretty much been the same basic stopping power, with improving ABS over the years.
Old 03-09-06, 06:40 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

on used cars......the brakes depends on the aftermarket pads/rotors......if u have good pads and rotors then its good.......if not they suck......

but i do notice that brand new toyota/scion/lexus cars lack the feel of firm braking power. it does stop the car.....but u just dunt have the feel

I think nissans have the most sensitive factory brakes setup.........some ppl hate it.........i can control my foot pressure so i tend to like it...........just a matter of opinion.
Old 03-10-06, 05:17 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Have you compared Road & Track or Car & Driver or even Edmund's test data? I haven't. I think that perception of braking/road feel can be affected by suspension/luxury setups. How many times have you been in a high end car and find yourself suddenly at 70 mph? "Wow, I couldn't tell I was going so fast!"
Certainly, one's perception/preference matters, but for me hard performance data would be the final say as to whether I trust in my vehicles ability to stop in a safe distance.
To take it a step further, do you think that tires are the ultimate limiting factor in stopping quickly?
Wouln't tires with superior grip "trip" the ABS sensors "later" than poor gripping rubber?
I wonder if you could actually buy tires that outperform the brakes/ABS? That would be pretty awesome to upgrade your braking system because of actual need vs. upgrading for the pure joy it brings us. I think this scenario is valid for street driving. Track racing would of course involve brake fade from heavy, constant use. Opinions?....David.
Old 03-10-06, 07:29 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that the brake set-ups on the two Lexus I've owned were quite different from other makes. Personally, I love what they did with those brake systems. I hate being jarred to a stop when I'm just casually cruising. When you're light on the pedal the car calmly comes to a stop. But if you're ever so lucky to be around the drivers that I get stuck around, then you know just how well the stock brakes work when you need them too. Whenever I've had to jump on the brakes in a flash they've never ceased to impress me.

However, It seems to me that Toyota is finally giving into all those customers that complain that just because their organs aren't thrown out of alignment every time they breathe on the pedal, that must mean the brakes aren't good. The new IS I've driven has some of the most sensitive brakes I've ever encountered. Whenever I find myself driving it I always end up coming to a stop several feet before I expected to... and it's never as calm or smooth as in my ES or GS. God how I wish the engineers at Toyota would go back to the outstanding systems they've been using than give in to the ignorance of the general public.
Old 03-10-06, 08:11 AM
Two bit
Pole Position

If you got the $$$ go get some brembo gt's :-D
Old 03-10-06, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the '06 ES's but my '93 stops on a dime. One slight touch and "whiplash".
Old 03-10-06, 12:07 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I agree about the maxima brakes. The only thing that doesn't suck about nissan non-racing cars, are the VQ engines.
The Maximas... I just don't get it. Driving a, '02 Maxima every day sucks because:
Brakes - Way too stiff. Too much brake force too early
Engine - great engine. Crappy throttle by wire. *way* to sensitive, AND STIFF throttle pedal
Steering - way too heavy. Heavy doesn't = feedback. It = annoying
Drivetrain - Crap. crap crap crap crap crap To get the torque steer of a Nissan in say... A Toyota. You have to add 50-75-100% more power

If they would spend some time doing some build quality, and change their philosophy of "We're not trying to dampen this car like a normal sedan" they would sell an ungodly number of them.

You can't sit somebody down in a Maxima & say "drive this smoothly". Then come back a few days later & have them actually do it.

Man I loooove that engine. Crappy car compaired to a Camry tho. They looked better (to me) for a long time, but... Looks + an engine = a sunny day car, not a daily driver! LoL!
Old 03-10-06, 01:36 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

06 ES's are pregnant footballs, what can stop them? lol

Quick Reply: Braking Power