ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Camry vs ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01 | 08:55 AM
marcman18
Driver

How much does a S55 Mercedes Coupe Cost compared to an SC430. Hmmm gee its a lot more I hope that a $100,000 car will appreciate one day. Id rather spend $60,000 on an SC430 and not have to get it serviced for $800 every 7500miles and with the money saved $40,000 I can get my wife an GS300 or nice ES300.
Old 10-12-01 | 07:14 PM
VZV21
Rookie

I hope you guys notice, price-point wises a loaded Camry XLE V6 tops out around the starting price of a ES300, hence will the ES300 is positioned above the Camry. But you still can get the stuff like all the pyrotechnics and rear sunshade also (and DVD nav system). But you can't get the lexus exclusives in the Camry.
Old 10-12-01 | 07:33 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Lexus advantage?

The advantages are supperficial except for a few horsepower(use premium gas and a K&N and the gap narrows) and and extra gear!

On paper it is a $5000+/- difference, in real life since Toyota dealers will discount there mother...it's a lot more!

PLUS, if you go with a Camry SE, you get a much better handling car, with better steering...and i don't car what the Ad guys say, the ES [I]IS[I/] and always will be a Camry underneath...no amount of cheese cake can hide that!

Joe
Old 10-12-01 | 08:10 PM
VZV21
Rookie

Default And....

the RX300 is a jacked up Camry
Old 10-14-01 | 12:07 AM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Question Difference?

Lexus will always get you the honeys.
Old 10-14-01 | 06:35 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Lexus advantage?

Originally posted by BimmerLexus
The advantages are supperficial except for a few horsepower(use premium gas and a K&N and the gap narrows) and and extra gear!

On paper it is a $5000+/- difference, in real life since Toyota dealers will discount there mother...it's a lot more!

PLUS, if you go with a Camry SE, you get a much better handling car, with better steering...and i don't car what the Ad guys say, the ES [I]IS[I/] and always will be a Camry underneath...no amount of cheese cake can hide that!

Joe
What a typical hater.
Old 10-14-01 | 07:54 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Sick hit the nail right on the head. Enough said.
Old 10-14-01 | 08:05 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

ES [I]IS[I/] and always will be a Camry underneath...no amount of cheese cake can hide that

that's right i had a 97 es and compare to my company's camry it is exectly the same thing. But i think IS is rear wheel drive so it probably cost more to build. ES is just ripoff
Old 10-14-01 | 08:49 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Question What do you want in a car?

Hey BMW540-6,

It all depends on what attributes you are looking for in a car. Lets take reliabilty for instance. In comparing the BMW side-by-side with the Lexus, there is NO comparison! It is a FACT that Lexus has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better tracck record on recalls and technical bulletins than BMW ever has. Quality IS built in the Lexus and the only reason that BMW still sells is due to its PRESTIGE and as a STATUS symbol. If you doubt what I say, do your homework like I did and you will see that BMW's track record is shoddy at best......you are NOT getting your $$$$ worth with BMW but you certainly can with Lexus! I own a '99 ES300 and I can say without a doubt it is the BEST, most comfortable, quiet riding car I have ever owned! It may be a little lacking in power but it was never built to be a sports car (even though Lexus was trying to sell it as one) but an entry-level luxury car and boy is it a DAMN good one!!!! Personally, if I had to buy a car all over again, I would pick the Lexus EVERY TIME hands down!!

Scott.
Old 10-14-01 | 09:20 PM
marcman18
Driver

BMW's have these inspections which are basically messages from BMW stated "this car may break down every 7500 miles, and cost you 1/8 of the value of the car to fix, so bring it in so we can replace something to avoid or reputation being shattered.
Old 10-15-01 | 07:50 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Got It!!

Amen to that marcman18!! Couldn't have said it better myself! I have a friend at work who has a BMW 5 series......NICE CAR..with one exception........it broke down after only 3200 miles on the car. Reason?? Faulty fuel pump and the car stalled twice on the freeway! Fortunately, no one was hurt. Looks like on this example the car didn't even make it to its 1st check-up

Scott
Old 10-16-01 | 01:09 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

BMW's have these inspections which are basically messages from BMW stated
well that thing is call ON BOARD COMPUTER and yes it has bugs and yes it cost $$$$$ to reset it even it is under warrenty and guess what!!!! it is a BMW not a TOYOTA

it broke down after only 3200 miles on the car. Reason?? Faulty fuel pump and the car stalled twice on the freeway!
well I heard the same problem before, my last e39 has problem too but it was something diffrent... again not every BMW's has problem may be there is less than few percent however there are few lucky BMW owner like me who happen to pick the WRONG CAR!!! I still love my BMW and will definaly buy it again but now i just want to sell my baby ASAP before factory warrenty expire.

Last edited by splitfire; 10-16-01 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-16-01 | 08:28 PM
VZV21
Rookie

Originally posted by BMW540-6

well that thing is call ON BOARD COMPUTER and yes it has bugs and yes it cost $$$$$ to reset it even it is under warrenty and guess what!!!! it is a BMW not a TOYOTA
Man, isn't it nice that all we need to do to reset the OBD (I or II depending on the year) computer, is pull the EFI fuse for about a minute? (Though some other Toyota owners, insist on disconnecting the battery instead, namely www.newcelica.org)
Old 10-16-01 | 09:51 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Dude it is so apparent u hate the ES 300. If the Camry was as good as an ES I would have saved 10k and bought a Camry (no offense to Camry owners).....
I don't hate it but I think ES is not what they worth for... like i said i had both car i don't see much of diffrents... hey i though you had a gs what happen did you down grade it to a es or something?
Old 10-17-01 | 10:18 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs down Go Find Yourself a BMW Website!

Originally posted by BMW540-6

that's right i had a 97 es and compare to my company's camry it is exectly the same thing. But i think IS is rear wheel drive so it probably cost more to build. ES is just ripoff
If you want to sit there and continue to downgrade the ES300 Lexus BMW540-6, go do it on another website! CL is for the Lexus Enthusiast and for owners who LOVE their cars....not idiots like yourself who put them down in favor of another make of car! So, if you don't have anything GOOD to say, stay off this (and other) forums, okay? There are LARGE differences between the Camry and the ES300 and if you cannot see (or feel them) then you are BLIND, DEAF and STUPID! I will bet you that I could take any Joe off the street, blindfold him and put him in the passenger side while I go for a ride and he/she would guess nearly everytime which type of car they were in! I believe the differences are that noticeable.

Next time you feel like "slamming" the ES300 (or any other Lexus for that matter) remember where you are 'cause at this point you are making more enemies than friends!

Scott

Quick Reply: 2002 Camry vs ES300