ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Camry vs ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 12:13 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clam down buddy.. i think this is way off topic so lets stop here alright

Last edited by splitfire; 10-18-01 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-18-01, 01:33 AM
marcman18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should have more moderators like Captin Finally someone who can stop the nonsense.
Old 10-18-01, 11:09 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Gotta Love Those Lexi's

Originally posted by BMW540-6
clam down buddy.. i think this is way off topic so lets stop here alright
Tell ya what pal! I will clam up when you can show a little respect for all Lexus models instead of putting them down. Yes, YOU are wayyy off the topic which is "Camry vs. ES300", not "ES300 is a cheap imitation therefore is a ripoff!" If you cannot appreciate a Lexus for what it is like everyone else on this board then you need to go off to another website (ie: BMW like your name suggests) and leave CL alone. I (as well as others on CL) are deeply insulted by your bad mouthing of the ES300. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that when you put down a Lexus on this website, you are going to infuriate many a CL member! I will stop when you realize what you have done and apologize to others on CL about your conduct.

Thanks marcman18 for your kind words but I think there are plenty of moderators out there to keep things in check. I wouldn't mind being one either but thats another story

That's all I have to say on this

Scott.
Old 10-20-01, 01:11 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I remember the acryomn "POC". The "C" does not mean cake when you are talking about bimmers. I had one years ago and all I can say is that my the mechanic probably made a few porsche payments from my car repairs. Maybe, POS is a pretty one when describing them.

Frankly, BMW stands for "bring more work". Keeps the mechanics in business and the economy going. They knew about global economics, that's for sure.
Old 10-21-01, 07:11 PM
z@forgetaboutit
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by jwaters
Don't forget about the water repellent front door glass, the 5 speed automatic vs. the Camry's 4 speed, the Regency leather (same as in the LS430) covered seats, the "real" wood trim as opposed to plastic in the Camry, the 240 watt Mark Levinson stereo system in addition to more sound insulation, better paint quality, warranty, service and dealer treatment. Those things make it worth it for me at least.
Course, what you just quoted cost a lot more than $5,000 difference. I'm just saying.
Old 10-21-01, 07:20 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by z@forgetaboutit

Course, what you just quoted cost a lot more than $5,000 difference. I'm just saying.
The ES is about 10k more then the Camry. I priced the ES yesterday and it was 35k without NAV. The camry is about $25k.

Add 2k more and you can buy a corolla on sale!

Personal decision I would say. I just know that my GS brings smiles to my face and glances from strangers.
Old 10-25-01, 07:23 AM
Skinny
Driver

BMW540-6:

A 2002 330i sedan with automatic trans, premium package, HID lights, and heated seats runs $41K. And you're calling the ES300 a "rip-off" and "overpriced"? LOL! YOu're a joke.

The 330i will handle much better and is quicker, but the ES300 is bigger inside, has a larger trunk, has a nicer interior, IS more luxurious and higher quality!

"that's right i had a 97 es and compare to my company's camry it is exectly the same thing. But i think IS is rear wheel drive so it probably cost more to build. ES is just ripoff"

That's really funny. Considering neither look alike in any way, inside & out.
Old 10-25-01, 11:53 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Way to Go!

Nicely put Skinny!!!

I am glad to hear more ES300 owners speaking there minds in defensive of their cars! I thought that I was alone out there.......nice to see others stepping forward and telling those who are badmouthing the ES300 (and you know who you are) where they can go!

Lets have more ES300 owners/enthusiasts step-up to the plate and let us know how wonderful there cars are!!

Scott
Old 10-25-01, 01:18 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this to say:

I drive an ES250. It's no ES300, but it's a good car. It's served our family since we bought in 1989. It is a Lexus, however. And Lexus has a reputation that no other car company can touch. And that says a lot. The only out-of-warranty repair work we've had done on it was replacing a water pump a little while ago, which only cost 600-some-odd dollars. I don't think a BMW that's 12 years old can say the same thing (I am not taking into account regular maintnence in that $600 figure, of course).

The ONLY area where Benz and Merc beat Lexus is in the overall performance category. But most of Lexus' vehicles are not deisgned to be hard-core sports cars. It's hard enough for Lexus to design the world's safest, most luxurious, highest-quality cars. Now imagine them putting ultra-performance capability into their cars. NOT an easy thing to do and maintain their famous quality. BMW and Merc know their cars will sell only because everybody knows their name, and will pay for the name, no matter the cost. Benz and BMW are much more focused on charging a premium and designing high-performance cars instead of high-quality, cost-effective, luxurious cars like Lexus. If you've got money and want to blow it on a German car, please feel free to do so. Even rich people choose Lexus because it's just a plain all-around great car.

I will also say that I have no love for the handful of BMW owners who post on this forum, slamming Lexus and exhalting BMW, using that "But I have a Lexus, too..." excuse. Pathetic.

In addition, I test drove the new ES with my dad, and it is an EXCELLENT vehicle. The ES's interior will blow away the interior of any Benz or BMW, regardless of price. My parents are trying to decide between the new ES and a '02 GS3. Either one is a great car.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. I truly love Lexus as a company because no other car manufacturer comes close. I am only 16, but I think it's safe to say that I am sold on Lexus for life!!!
Old 10-25-01, 07:05 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Well Spoken!

WantAnewLex,

That was one heck of a post (it brought tears to my eyes -

, yes but happy tears). Well spoken! And since you have had the car since 1989 (your parents) and have only had one "out of routine" sevice repair job, that speaks HIGHLY of the Lexus product line. NO other car manufacturer (except maybe Mercedes) can really make that claim on most every car they sell.

In my opinion you cannot find any other car company out there to offer that kind of quality for that price range!

Scott.
Old 10-25-01, 07:18 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Well Spoken!

Originally posted by Captain Ratman
WantAnewLex,

That was one heck of a post (it brought tears to my eyes -

, yes but happy tears). Well spoken! And since you have had the car since 1989 (your parents) and have only had one "out of routine" sevice repair job, that speaks HIGHLY of the Lexus product line. NO other car manufacturer (except maybe Mercedes) can really make that claim on most every car they sell.

In my opinion you cannot find any other car company out there to offer that kind of quality for that price range!

Scott.
Don't forget the parent company, Toyota, is just as reliable. We had a celica and sold it at 88k miles. We had zero non maint issues for ten years.

My GS is almost at good. It has a couple of intermittent rattles that I will get rid of one day.
Old 10-25-01, 07:39 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Thumbs up Toyota Is The Foundation

Meanboy,

NO, definitely NOT forgetting the founding car company that started it all....Toyota! That is what a Lexus is after all! I have a 1989 Toyota SR5 P/U (had it since it was brand new) and have had VERY few problems with it. It still is running well after 148K miles and it has been quite a workhorse since I bought it (I have been camping, piknicking, numrous moves, hauling around MANY big things, etc). My only "beef" with Toyota was the paint on my truck (clear coat) in one specific area began to haze and come off. I was only a few months out of warranty but went through all the diplomatic channels with my Toyota dealer (Cerritos Toyota) to get the truck repainted......they REFUSED and said the truck was no longer under warranty so they wouldn't do anything. I took them to small claims court (dealership) but filed suit with the wrong entity (should have been Toyota Motor Corp) and lost my lawsuit. I vowed NEVER to buy a Toyota again due to this incident. I inherited the '99 ES300 from my dad who passed away last June........I have always loved his car because of the way it was put together, its ride, quietness smoothness, etc. so even though I didn't like what Toyota did to me, I will always LOVE there quality that they put into there cars!

Scott.
Old 10-25-01, 10:22 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Toyota Is The Foundation

Meanboy,

NO, definitely NOT forgetting the founding car company that started it all....Toyota! That is what a Lexus is after all! I have a 1989 Toyota SR5 P/U (had it since it was brand new) and have had VERY few problems with it. It still is running well after 148K miles and it has been quite a workhorse since I bought it (I have been camping, piknicking, numrous moves, hauling around MANY big things, etc). My only "beef" with Toyota was the paint on my truck (clear coat) in one specific area began to haze and come off. I was only a few months out of warranty but went through all the diplomatic channels with my Toyota dealer (Cerritos Toyota) to get the truck repainted......they REFUSED and said the truck was no longer under warranty so they wouldn't do anything. I took them to small claims court (dealership) but filed suit with the wrong entity (should have been Toyota Motor Corp) and lost my lawsuit. I vowed NEVER to buy a Toyota again due to this incident. I inherited the '99 ES300 from my dad who passed away last June........I have always loved his car because of the way it was put together, its ride, quietness smoothness, etc. so even though I didn't like what Toyota did to me, I will always LOVE there quality that they put into there cars!

Scott.
Did you file your case again?
Old 10-26-01, 08:40 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Unhappy For a Second Round of Fun?

Meanboy,

Never tried again after that. Because it was Toyota Motor Division, I would have had to file in Los Angeles County and attended court in or near the Torrance area (because of where their western regional headquarters is) and it would have been extremely difficult to take time off and drive there since I lived in South Orange County at the time. I put a lot of effort into the 1st lawsuit and when the judge ruled the case "invalid", I pretty much gave-up at that point!

But, I learned a lot from that experience !

Scott.
Old 10-26-01, 01:23 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: For a Second Round of Fun?

Meanboy,

Never tried again after that. Because it was Toyota Motor Division, I would have had to file in Los Angeles County and attended court in or near the Torrance area (because of where their western regional headquarters is) and it would have been extremely difficult to take time off and drive there since I lived in South Orange County at the time. I put a lot of effort into the 1st lawsuit and when the judge ruled the case "invalid", I pretty much gave-up at that point!

But, I learned a lot from that experience !

Scott.
Sorry to hear about the paint.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camry vs ES300