ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Camry vs ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 02:27 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CAMRY VS LEXUS

Originally posted by marcman18
Do you want to tell your girlfriend you drive a toyota camry a family car and tell people its like a lexus or Do you want to tell your girlfriend I have a Lexus, which puts you in a totally different category. Dont get a Camry otherwise you will turn into that person who thinks its just as good when it fact its a family car with no prestige.
wow.. I didnt know Lexus owners disliked Camry's that much.. i guess my coments arent worth squat so I'll keep my opinions to myself. BTW I love my 2002 Camry.. sorry to hear most of you guys here think its crap.

Old 07-12-02, 03:38 PM
LexFather

Dude very nice Camry, what size rims? I don't think no one here hates or dislikes the Camry, it's just ES 300 owners get their share of "camry" jokes. I know, I used to get that crap when I drove the ES all the time (not the SC or GS).

Motor Trend said it is still the best, family sedan, NUFF SAID!

I cannot believe how much larger it is, very spacious and smooth.
Old 07-12-02, 03:49 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude very nice Camry, what size rims? I don't think no one here hates or dislikes the Camry, it's just ES 300 owners get their share of "camry" jokes. I know, I used to get that crap when I drove the ES all the time (not the SC or GS).
Thanks, I have 18" Racinghart C5's with eibach springs. I guess the Camry bashing is cool.. but we int the Camry CLub (teamsc3) have nothing but love for Lexus's.. My next car is gonna be a GS430....
Old 07-12-02, 04:00 PM
LexFather

Is your Camry an SE with the titanium trim? C5 Racing Harts are some of my fav rims of all time (sad it is now discontinued).

How about a link to ya'll site. I know we do have some Camry guys hanging around from time to time, they are real cool and know lot's of stuff about our engines.

My 92 ES 300 is a manual!
Old 07-12-02, 04:13 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Yes I have the SE 5 speed with titanium trim. blackish-grey interior. it sometimes gets mistaken for a Lexus (and that gives me a lil of what you guys feel everyday)

Yes the RH C5 's were discontinued but recently made a comeback. Funny thing is, is that they are on back-ordered for 6 weeks.

If ya have any Camry guys hangin out have'em come over to www.TeamSC3.com The guys there are pretty smart when it comes to Camrys.. I myself work at Mitchell1 information co.. the people that make automotive manuals for most of the auto shops.

Thanks again for responding.. I think I'm gonna hang out with CL this weekend at the Bob Baker Lexus meet here in San Diego with my cousin who is a member of IS300.net.. see lotsa love for Toyota/Lexus..
Old 07-13-02, 02:17 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Sick, it's not that any of us dislike the Camry; it's the people who think the ES and Camry are the same car that bother us. They have their similarities, and both are excellent cars; but they aren't the same, ya know.

Edfrsd, I like your Camry too, looks very nice. One question though, are 18's the biggest wheels that fit properly, or can you go bigger?

The Camry guys who have come here have added alot to our discussions, they have alot to offer and it'd be great to see them here more often.
Old 07-13-02, 04:46 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edfrsd, I saw your camry in the CL gallery and had a good look. Very nice! The wheels looks great on your camry...makes it stand out more. Very tasteful.
Old 07-13-02, 10:36 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: CAMRY VS LEXUS

Originally posted by edfrsd

wow.. I didnt know Lexus owners disliked Camry's that much.. i guess my coments arent worth squat so I'll keep my opinions to myself. BTW I love my 2002 Camry.. sorry to hear most of you guys here think its crap.

Everytime I see a camry I have to take a look at it, and I have a GS, so no hate here.

Oh, yeah..Nice car!

Last edited by meanboy; 07-13-02 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-14-02, 08:26 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default One and the Same?

With the last generation Camry/ES300 the advantage by a small amount went to the ES300 because the two were tuned similarly, about the same HP 210 vs 194. The ES had a luxury ride with a little sport.

With the 02 versions of the Camry/ES300, the Camry comes out on top at least in SE V6 Trim. The New ES went too soft and too luxurious. The Camry SE V6 has a sport edge and look and feel that many ES300's tarket market want. The Es300 with NO additional power, softer tuning, worse performance and more luxury and a lot more money is not good for the direction they should go. According to "Automotive News and Reports" the initial swell of sales for the ES300 has died off. I got over $4000 off a 02 Peal White ES300 this week that I bought for my 70 year old parents. A perfect car for 70 year olds or Woman.

The recent Car and Driver report on the ES liked the car as a Luxury car, but it's a Yawner.....

I'll keep my 01 ES300 with Tociko's!

BimmerLexus
Old 07-14-02, 01:59 PM
LexFather

The ES 300 will REGAIN it's top selling crown this year as they are selling 6-7k cars a month, the TL is next at 5-6k a month. Considering the ES BASE price is more than the TL-S loaded price, a lot of people want full blown luxury and a soft ride and don't want to race.

I JUST had a 2002 loaner and I've had 98-01 loaners and I have a 92 ES 300. The new one is softer but is so serene and quiet, I was so relaxed, I DID NOT TRY TO RACE, lol. Maybe cause we know it's a luxury car, not a race car.
It need bigger wheels cosmetically speaking though.
Old 07-15-02, 12:43 AM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Abcedefghij

Last edited by brian3268; 08-28-21 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-15-02, 01:17 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I stayed at the Marriot in BC last week. Visited vancouver..
Old 07-17-02, 06:37 PM
toyotagabor
Driver School Candidate

Hey People,
I've owned a lot of toyotas and they are great cars-their dealers leave a lot to be desired in both the sales and service departments.
If you like Wal-mart buy the Camry,but if you prefer Nordstroms or Saks or Harrods get a Lexus.
The lexi are all made in Japan which I think makes the cars better and more reliable.
Old 07-18-02, 05:30 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Hell, I absolutely love the Camry. If the platform is good enough for a Lexus, it can't be a bad car. I gotta agree with bimmerlexus though, I think I would now prefer a loaded Camry SE 5-spd over a new ES. This was not the case with all the previous generations. The new ES is not a bad car at all; its excellent at what it is meant to do, and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a car in its class. Just not my kind of car though. I hope Lexus sells a bunch.
Old 07-18-02, 07:32 AM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Originally posted by toyotagabor
If you like Wal-mart buy the Camry,but if you prefer Nordstroms or Saks or Harrods get a Lexus.
The lexi are all made in Japan which I think makes the cars better and more reliable.
Ok, let me start off by saying thanks for everybodys opinions, good or bad, can't win em all. but, that sure is a funny coment about Wal-mart.. I would agree with the older Camrys but have you even driven the new ones? take a test drive, tell me what you think but the way your talking I don't think you even have the time.. "don't judge a book by its cover" Im not saying you'll love the or even like the Camry, but atleast find out more information before you make your comments. By the way my car was made in japan.. so I guess its as good and reliable as your Lexi.

Last edited by edfrsd; 07-18-02 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camry vs ES300