ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to Install an Aftermarket Stereo/Headunit in a Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 08:18 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Engine whine noise? Never heard of that from a stereo install..
Old 01-10-16, 06:37 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbhalla24
I captured the video of how I replaced the ES300 stock radio with after-market double din head unit. Happy with results so far. BASS is low, I was able to adjust it a bit in Equalizer option. Sound is more toned, crisp and high on treble side but not bad at all. Very nice and acceptable, cannot compare it to original Pioneer's sound. I do hear some engine whine noise which is very low and hides when i increase the music volume, i read on forums that attaching black (ground) wire to body of the unit too will solve this problem (it does not bother me right now). Engine whine noise is not at all the stereo issue since i did a same install on 98 Honda Accord that has no external amplifier therefore i connected to amplified speakers output and the sound is superb clear and fantastic without absolute no engine whine. This issue is due to the external amp integration and grounding mismatch on speakers. I am sure by doing additional ground connections (that is connecting black wire of car to the body of head unit), even this small issue will go away.

1997 Lexus es300 stereo replacement with aftermarket double din head unit - YouTube
Thank you for the video. I have the same car, 1997 ES300. Does the subwoofer still function after installing the aftermarket head unit?
Old 01-11-16, 01:48 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I do hear sound from all speakers including subwoofer but no BASS, it is more toned and not as rich and stereophonic hifi like original PIONEER one.
Old 12-29-16, 06:36 PM
LexuzES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Wires (nubies)

This Is probably the easiest way (not recommended) to hook your head unit up.
your Harness should hook right up to the factory radio harness in the car. the harness you buy for a new head unit should have a yellow or (constant 12v) red or (12v) black or (ground) blue/white stripe or ( remote ) and 4 plugs. Hook up these wires to the head unit, then you should have 8 speaker wires on the head unit. 4 with a black or etc colored stripe and 4 solid colored. Tape the ends of each wire with the stripe (ground wore) because the ground is already in the car then the last 4 solid colored wires find a way to connect to the four colored plugs (I just wrapped them and black tape(rednecked it) so don't do this unless you have female plugs handy) and you should have temporarily gained all sound and bass your car should have. But please don't leave it this way if you decide to do this. Anyway have a good one everyone
Old 03-03-19, 02:53 PM
MichaelPm
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh man this is a pain in the *** i have came up with many different answers im guessing because folks have different years different model head units and what not.I want to install my aftermarket cd player but it seems it is going to be hell .i found out this much the ground will be white and run the black ground to the metal on my car after i sand top the paint.i am going to keep my factory amp so how do i connect the speaker wires by tapping into the wires under the seat at the factory amp.i almost feel like ripping it all out all of it burning it and getting all new speakers and wires then installing it the god damn normal way.

Last edited by MichaelPm; 03-11-20 at 08:54 AM.