ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Ground Noise? Recently installed new Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 09:42 PM
knocnemdown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Noise? Recently installed new Head Unit

Hello everyone. A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new headunit in place of the factory radio in my 95 ES300. I've got some noise which gets louder as I hit the gas. I used the Metra wiring harness to utilize the stock pioneer amp. I didn't connect the ground wire from the HU to the factory harness, opting instead to connect it to the metal bracket which holds the whole A/C and radio Unit to the dash. Should I place it somewhere else? I was wondering if it would help to change the ground on the stock amp to somewhere near it with a thicker gauge wire. If so, which wire at the stock amp is the ground wire? Even though I can't hear the noise at fairly high volumes, knowing it's there is driving me CRAZY. Not looking to purchase a new amp either.

I've been doing search after search on here and google, but I can't seem to find anything that's fixed my situation. I also tried a ground loop isolator, but it didn't seem to work. I'll take any suggestions I can get. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-10-06, 10:08 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the factory ground (sorry I'm not sure of the wire color), if that doesn't work try looking for a more solid ground point, right to the body, not the brackets that holds the AC/radio.
Old 04-11-06, 03:48 AM
knocnemdown
Driver School Candidate

If someone only knew which was the ground! I think it's one of the white wires in the middle of the harness since the wiring harness has it going to the metra harness in the middle. I'm just not sure if i picked the right one. I'll try to ground it to another point. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep 'em coming!
Old 04-24-06, 02:06 AM
FwC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator Hum

I think what you may be experiencing is something called 'Alternator Hum'. It usually happens if you're runnng a separate line to power your HU or Subwoofers. But that grounding point definitely is not a safe bet, find something you can attach directly to the chassis. When it comes to alternator hum, not quite sure how to get rid of it try keeping all wires as far from ignition and steering wheel as possible.

I would like some advise on getting off the factory HU though. I can't seem to get the dash vents off... Are there screws under there I need to remove?
Old 04-24-06, 04:23 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no screws but two clipps that fold down with a flat head screw driver. they are attached.to the vents themselves on the top on the inside of the vent.
Old 04-26-06, 09:17 PM
knocnemdown
Driver School Candidate

It's actually pretty easy to get the vent off. I just slid two flathead screw drivers in the bottom of the vent and then take a third screwdriver and pry it from the right of the vent. Just do it nice and slow till you can pull the vent the rest of the way out by hand. Hope it goes well.
Old 04-30-06, 07:03 PM
kyfucius
Driver School Candidate

heres a link to a thread that has the wiring diagram for the amp. the gnd is the white wire with a silver dot.

has anyone tired using a bigger wire to ground the amp yet ?

i am having the same problem on my 95 es300. i'll let you know if i find a solution. lets work together to solve this problem!
Old 05-04-06, 06:45 AM
sk72
Pole Position

Exclamation

If you r working on your car, one thing I would suggest to get that annoying noise off would be to remove your driver seat, run the ground wire through the carpet and locate any bolts beneath the carpet under the driver seat, remove the bolt, sand the area where the bolt just came off to get some paints off of it and attach the ground wire there and bolt it. This will 100% eliminate the annoying humming noise. I had this done when I installed an AMP.. well not myself but the shop haha...

This really worked great. Good Luck.. buddy