ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

"whining" sound coming from the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 09:52 AM
singhg83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "whining" sound coming from the car

Hello,
ive been lurking around the lexus forums here and there and havn't really posted anything until this point. I have a 97' es300 w/ 185,000 miles. It runs like a champ. However, for the past month ive been noticing a whine sound when i start up the car and while i drive it. I have not much of 1 clue it could be. i checked transmission oil and motor oil (alittle low) and all seemed to be fine. im just concerned that it will end up getting worse and i get stranded somewhere. anyone can help? i'd greatly appreciate any comments.

thanks.
Old 05-04-06, 03:46 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you notice any symptoms of the tranny acting up lately (i.e. hesitation in between gears)? Does the whining sound only happen at start-up, or does it continue while you're driving? We need more details.
Old 05-04-06, 04:07 PM
singhg83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Do you notice any symptoms of the tranny acting up lately (i.e. hesitation in between gears)? Does the whining sound only happen at start-up, or does it continue while you're driving? We need more details.
i have noticed that it has a slite hesitation between gears. and it seems to continue while driving. it happen from start up.

I apologize for the miss-information.
Old 05-05-06, 03:57 AM
xxxavier2k
Driver School Candidate

A similar thing thing happened to me with my '93 windom (83000km). I though it sounded kinda cool like a supercharger whistling. Until it started slipping out of gear.

I'd say clean or change your transmission cartridge filter. If the sound stops it was your tranny pump being starved of tranny fuel due to filter clogging. If not it could be alternator bearings or pretty much anything that spins when the car is moving. Check for other abnormalities.
Old 05-05-06, 06:25 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whine can also be coming from your power steering pump.
Old 05-05-06, 05:15 PM
element51
Rookie

yea i was about to say, check your power steeting pump and fluid especially if it get a lot worse when you turn the steering wheel. i remember i had a really annoying whine on my old bonneville and it turned out to be the power steering belt. problem solved
Old 05-05-06, 08:18 PM
singhg83
Driver School Candidate

its not the power steering, when the i would turn the wheel, it would not affect the noise at all. it happend when i push the gas. i have been noticing a decress in the pick up though.
Old 05-05-06, 08:42 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Based on the symptoms you've described, it's most likely that your transmission is getting problematic. I've seen tranny problems like this on most high mileage '97-'01 ES, even mine. Any check engine lights at all?
Old 05-06-06, 06:11 AM
singhg83
Driver School Candidate

Based on the symptoms you've described, it's most likely that your transmission is getting problematic. I've seen tranny problems like this on most high mileage '97-'01 ES, even mine. Any check engine lights at all?
i was afraid of that, ironically there are no lights showing up on the dash that are showing any problems.
do you guys possibly think that flushing the tranny fluid would make a difference?
Old 05-06-06, 07:13 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'd start with the fluid first since that can be checked out on your own. Note the color of the fluid. If it's reddish, the fluid is OK; if it's greyish or black, then the fluid has to be replaced. If you don't remember the last time you got your tranny fluid replaced, consider getting the tranny system completely flushed out. This service may cost you a few bills if done at a dealership. I would try to get it done at an independent service shop to avoid the extra markup on the service.
Old 05-06-06, 11:54 AM
skiptomylo
Driver

I have that whining sound too, but only on Startup. After the engine gets warmed up, the sound goes away. Does this indicate transmission problems also?
Old 05-06-06, 01:00 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skiptomylo
I have that whining sound too, but only on Startup. After the engine gets warmed up, the sound goes away. Does this indicate transmission problems also?
Probably not, unless you notice similar hesitation behavior when shifting gears. This sound may come from the serpentine belt, which may be dried out and results in a slight squealing sound.
Old 05-06-06, 02:12 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

should i look into getting it lubricated or is it fine the way it is?
Old 05-06-06, 08:04 PM
intrmsof2
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'd start with the fluid first since that can be checked out on your own. Note the color of the fluid. If it's reddish, the fluid is OK; if it's greyish or black, then the fluid has to be replaced. If you don't remember the last time you got your tranny fluid replaced, consider getting the tranny system completely flushed out. This service may cost you a few bills if done at a dealership. I would try to get it done at an independent service shop to avoid the extra markup on the service.
This may actually not be a good idea. As gearing wears over time, if the fluid is not changed regularly, the hardware has a tendency to wear in a way that accomodates the older, thicker fluid. Completely flushing the system will introduce a much thinner fluid which can cause an increase in clearances inside the unit. Rather than fixing the problem, this could easily make it even worse. If the tranny wasn't the problem to begin with, you may have made it a problem now. I would make sure I was totally certain that a flush is necessary before doing it.

As for the belts, you can try belt dressing or even WD-40, but it may just be time to replace them. Their service life is finite, and noise is often an idicator of a stretched belt needing replacement.