ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 09:31 AM
mattjtf2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i snuged up all 16 of screws and noticed one wont snug down rpm gauge will move now but gets stuck ?
Old 03-28-12, 04:47 PM
Ghosryder5
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexucan Needle Fix

Hello, i took on the task of repairing my needles on my 93 gs 300 and i followed the directions and finished the needles tested with the 9 volt passed but put the needles back on and they dont light up.. Is the polarity different on es and gs models? Where did i go wrong?
Old 05-31-12, 08:31 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosryder5
Hello, i took on the task of repairing my needles on my 93 gs 300 and i followed the directions and finished the needles tested with the 9 volt passed but put the needles back on and they dont light up.. Is the polarity different on es and gs models? Where did i go wrong?
Thanks for the PMs. As you discovered, the polarity is different in the GS as compared to the ES. Don't know why.
I have updated the write-up to include this info for GS owners. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-27-12, 02:56 AM
erikism200
Rookie

great write up. im actually doing this right now, but i am having trouble soldering anything to the LED. nothing sticks, i used flux, i pre-tinned and nothing as soon as i touch it with anything the solder comes off of the LED. i do consider myself an ok solderer, this is not my first go around
Old 07-27-12, 06:14 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by erikism200
great write up. im actually doing this right now, but i am having trouble soldering anything to the LED. nothing sticks, i used flux, i pre-tinned and nothing as soon as i touch it with anything the solder comes off of the LED. i do consider myself an ok solderer, this is not my first go around
Sounds like you got some defective LEDs. I would contact whomever you got them from and request replacements.
Old 07-27-12, 11:23 AM
erikism200
Rookie

dang, i got them from digikey using the p/n supplied. i'll probably just order more. thanks i would have never thought of that.
Old 01-30-13, 03:06 PM
slikjik
Driver School Candidate

Are these the leds? http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-1206-...item56351709c2

Is it ok to put multiple leds in series? Would it change the resistance or require a different resister? I'm planning on lighting up the whole needle.
Old 03-06-13, 11:46 AM
donmcc
Driver School Candidate

Default burnt out needle repair

Both my speed and fuel needle light are completly gone. I have read in several posts today about trying to find a way to connect a black light to illuminate needles painted with a flourscent paint. I found an article with "google" about it. but the part numbers and purchase locations are not valid. The article does tell where to get a 12 vdc source for a black light on the dash. I will be checking with vendors to seee if I can find a black light for the installation and post it when I do. In the meantime, here is the web article to Google and read:
"lexus needle kludge fix"
it shows the wiring points and complete instructions to "black light" the needles. You only need to find the black light with power supply to do the repair.
Old 03-06-13, 12:59 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by donmcc
Both my speed and fuel needle light are completly gone. I have read in several posts today about trying to find a way to connect a black light to illuminate needles painted with a flourscent paint. I found an article with "google" about it. but the part numbers and purchase locations are not valid. The article does tell where to get a 12 vdc source for a black light on the dash. I will be checking with vendors to seee if I can find a black light for the installation and post it when I do. In the meantime, here is the web article to Google and read:
"lexus needle kludge fix"
it shows the wiring points and complete instructions to "black light" the needles. You only need to find the black light with power supply to do the repair.
I read about the black light idea before starting this thread. It seemed to me like an overly complicated, much more expensive, and far less effective approach than the solution I have posted. Although the painted needles may show up adequately under the glow of a black light during night time driving, during daylight driving the needles would still remain virtually invisible behind the smoked plastic cluster face. One other thing to consider is that clear view of the instrument warning lights such as, oil pressure, oil level, check-engine light, etc., would likely be obstructed by the placement of the black light and/or the inverter needed to power it. Just food for thought.
Old 09-30-13, 07:32 PM
mainstreet
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Needle Repair

Originally Posted by ikant
I did this last summer, and learned much from this DIY [Thank you Lexucan!!]. Funniest part of my experience; my mechanic highly suggested AGAINST doing this--"LEDs run hotter and use more energy..." After I completed it, he came by a couple weeks later to check something and IMMEDIATELY noticed the cluster...and exclaimed, "DAAAAYUM!! Did you replace the whole cluster?? How much did it cost??!! DAYUM!!...that looks sooo much better!!" I just soaked it all up especially when I told him I did it all myself.

Your gauges look great! Did you use the same components as the OP? If not, what parts did you use. Thanks
Old 11-13-13, 11:52 PM
eblick99
Driver

thanks for the info!
Old 11-24-13, 10:55 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Does anyone know if you can put multiple 1210s and a single resistor to give it more light in the needle? maybe 2 or 3 at the tip with 1 resistor?

how do you count how much power draw there is and how many resistors you need? i cant seem to figure out how much power the needle is putting out and then there is the wattage, voltage and miliamp to count.

can i get a graph or a pie chart or something? lol

i ordered some 1210's on ebay and some 330ohm .5watt resistors but i want to make sure i do it right and lexucan is only using 1 smd and 2 resistors so i need to know how to offset the 2nd resistor, or can i fill the damn needle up with lights and run a resistor in the back? do i even need one if i put in say 8-10 leds? and how do i connect them to one another. (+) to (+) or (+) to (-)
Old 02-02-14, 11:35 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Ok., so I sort of cheated and went to the wreckers and got 3 full sets of needles (all they had)....
I installed a set today to replace my dead & dying needles using the full red speedo & tacho needles along with orange fuel & temp needles... I discovered someone had removed the bulb for the rear brake light out light so replaced that with a bulb i'd grabbed at the wreckers...

Anyway I removed my needles, the centre post on the speedo just crumpled as I took the needle off, the tacho seemed wobbly in it's place and it's post fell apart also as I removed it (probably a good thing I had replacements after all!)...

I replaced them all and went for a drive to test...

I think the temp is reading a couple of notches high, I'm not sure about the fuel will have to wait til I put some more in to know for sure.. I didn't realise until just now reading this thread again that one needles had the counter weight and one didn't this may well explain the temp reading high, I'll have to go and check tomorrow...

The tacho seems to be reading as it should... The speedo I'm a little unsure about.. it sort of seems like it takes a moment to wake up when i accelerate... It just doesn't feel right, I don't know if it's in my head or not... Given that I've not really been able to see it, it could well be normal.. I'll have a go checking it off the GPS navigator...

Anyway looks cool, I like it 2 fully lit red needles in the 2 large centre gauges, and factory orange in the fuel/temp...

I know cheated but none the less credit still has to go to the OP for writing this guide, I doubt I would've even tried replacing them without reading this...
Old 02-03-14, 01:37 AM
deez188
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Ok., so I sort of cheated and went to the wreckers and got 3 full sets of needles (all they had)....
I installed a set today to replace my dead & dying needles using the full red speedo & tacho needles along with orange fuel & temp needles
I didn't think they had different coloured needles. All of mine are the same colour.

I had a spare cluster so I was able to swap, mix and match and so on.

I did go and check out a cheap ES300 and probably due to it being a smokers car everything was a bit off looking and clouded. That may have altered the colour a bit.

Cheers Damo.
Old 02-03-14, 11:46 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deez188
I didn't think they had different coloured needles. All of mine are the same colour.

I had a spare cluster so I was able to swap, mix and match and so on.

I did go and check out a cheap ES300 and probably due to it being a smokers car everything was a bit off looking and clouded. That may have altered the colour a bit.

Cheers Damo.
Someone had previously been into the cluster of one of the vehicles I raided and repaired only the Speedo & Tacho needles... They used Red LEDs instead of orange - hence the differing colours..
I would have liked all 4 needles in red, but Ican't compain I consider it a bonus that I found 2 already modified!

Quick Reply: Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles