ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 07:45 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, and the backlighting LEDs will make it look even better!

Good job!!!!
Old 11-29-07, 03:15 PM
Lexus4You
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before:

AFTER!:

Before:

AFTER!:

before:

AFTER!:

I LOVE IT!!!!!
THANKS GUYS SOOOOOO MUCH.... tell me how i did!
Old 11-29-07, 03:24 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Schweeeeeet!
In a week's time, it will seem your new cluster was always this way, and lookin' this good!

Last edited by Lexucan; 11-29-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 03:33 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thumbs say it all
Old 12-06-07, 12:53 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump for new member: GKenns

Old 12-11-07, 07:24 PM
300man
Driver School Candidate

could someone be so kind and provid a direct link, to a good place to buy the LED back light bulbs. I have spend alot of time looking at the links listed, but its appears confusing to me because so many bulbs are listed...lol I just fixed my wifes 300Es (1994) burn't out needles with the great info on this site.. so I'm looking for a "Click & Go order" site with the correct bulbs listed..but please not someplace in china..I need them asap, since I have the dash apart..

oh yea..my wife thinks I'm a "genius" since fixing those needles..lol !!!!
Old 12-11-07, 08:01 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Truthfully my friend.. most of us received or bulbs from an eBay vendor (Warden_jp2002). However they are located in Hong Kong so I guess you are SOL on that one.

http://www.superbrightleds.com Is the place to go if you want high quality bulbs, only con to this site is they do charge you a pretty penny. Although you will not be dissatisfied!
Old 12-12-07, 06:54 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Truthfully my friend.. most of us received or bulbs from an eBay vendor (Warden_jp2002). However they are located in Hong Kong so I guess you are SOL on that one.

http://www.superbrightleds.com Is the place to go if you want high quality bulbs, only con to this site is they do charge you a pretty penny. Although you will not be dissatisfied!
Yep, I bought mine from an ebay store in the U.K., so probably would be no faster delivery than buying from China.
I think the WLED-x series LEDs on superbrightleds.com are the ones you are looking for - 5mm wedge base, flat top, 12v, white color.
Old 12-17-07, 04:20 AM
300man
Driver School Candidate

..got my led's in 3 days from your recommendation source..!! fast & yes pricey !! $16.00 for 10 bulbs with shipping... thanks..question: The wedge fits just fine in the socket..but the bulb "Base" is smaller & kind of wiggles when you touch it..someone in earlier posts said maybe to wrap electrical tape on the lower bulb base..suggestions or leave it as is??? and thanks lexucan for the write up on this fix !!
Old 12-17-07, 08:25 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by 300man
..got my led's in 3 days from your recommendation source..!! fast & yes pricey !! $16.00 for 10 bulbs with shipping... thanks..question: The wedge fits just fine in the socket..but the bulb "Base" is smaller & kind of wiggles when you touch it..someone in earlier posts said maybe to wrap electrical tape on the lower bulb base..suggestions or leave it as is??? and thanks lexucan for the write up on this fix !!
$16 for ten LEDs (including shipping) doesn't seem like an expensive price to me. I'm sure I paid quite a bit more than that for the ones I bought.
Hmm...I guess different manufacturers make the LEDs slightly different shapes or sizes. The ones I got from the U.K. fit in the sockets perfectly - no wiggling at all. I think what I would do is cut a small strip of tape and apply it to the inside collar of the socket, then push the LED bulb into the socket and see how snugly it fits. If that didn't work, then I'd probably wrap a small strip of tape around the outside of the socket and the lower part of the LED bulb.
Old 12-17-07, 01:50 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Also, to allow it fit more snug, you can pry the wire connector off of the led no more than 1 millimeter. Mine were wiggly as well and i tried this and haven't had a loose one since.
Old 12-21-07, 04:12 AM
300man
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Also, to allow it fit more snug, you can pry the wire connector off of the led no more than 1 millimeter. Mine were wiggly as well and i tried this and haven't had a loose one since.
yup, I saw your note after I did the same..& it worked !! What an incredible inprovement with these LED lights.!!!.highly recommended !!
I have the dash plugged in now, but not 100% fastened..I checked the lights etc, before fastening it down for good..question: I started the car & let the engine warm up, ( 20 degrees above aero here) until warm air was blowing from the vents..but now the temp gauge does not move into the heat zone..or move at all..I didnt drive it yet, but with the warm air from the vents it should have moved a little..did I put the repaired gauge needle in a wrong position? ..the new led light works..( love the fix for the needles lexucan !!) thanks in advance & I cant wait until I install led lights in my '94 dodge diesel truck cluster gauges...
Old 12-29-07, 07:16 PM
300man
Driver School Candidate

***.but now the temp gauge does not move into the heat zone..or move at all..I didnt drive it yet, but with the warm air from the vents it should have moved a little..did I put the repaired gauge needle in a wrong position? ***

I fixed it..took it apart & retighting the fastening long shaft screws behind the gauge..works perfect now..needs to be "tight" when reinstalling !!!!
Old 01-18-08, 11:58 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Default More How-To Info Added To Write-up

I've edited the write-up to include a link to a good hand soldering tutorial video on YouTube for those who are thinking about trying the needle fix DIY but who have not done any soldering before.

The info is in POST #1
Old 03-25-08, 02:36 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexucan,

Great tips on the DIY's for cluster and needles. I am going to attempt to do my own needles. I purchased another cluster because I needed the fuel gauge needle so I have some spares to play with. I have removed the strip led's from the fuel gauge needle. How do you think the original led's disipated heat? I am wondering if they are connected to one of the resistors on the post modules. Did you investigate this during your original work? My thought is to replace the strip Led's without a resistor. I have found 1mm wide blue Led's in a strip. I can fit a strip of 24 on the fuel gauge. They are enroute.

Thanks,

Lex2001

Quick Reply: Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles