ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 09:10 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboymatt
Thanks for the fast reply. I originally did mix up the needles but have corrected this mistake. I also ballanced the needles because i thought that it may have been too heavy on the needle end. Still made no difference. I read somewhere that the fuel guage may read incorrectly due to a burnt out resistor. Not sure if that is the problem or if i need to unhook the dash cluster, reset the fuel needle and plug it back in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Just wondering if you got your fuel gauge to read properly again. Let us know.
Old 02-23-10, 11:40 AM
Walnut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Needles won't come off

Ok, so I got some used needles but the orginals won't come off. I pulled as hard as I could with just thumb and forefinger, even wedging underneath to lever up. Has anyone else had to pull harder than this
Old 02-23-10, 12:28 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Walnut
Ok, so I got some used needles but the orginals won't come off. I pulled as hard as I could with just thumb and forefinger, even wedging underneath to lever up. Has anyone else had to pull harder than this
I had a heck of time removing one of my needles. It seemed as though it was glued on or something but it did eventually let go. Gentle persuasion and persistence is the key.

And hey, where in BC are you located??
Old 02-23-10, 12:36 PM
Walnut
Driver

Hey Lexucan, I am in Victoria. Picked up another white '92 ES with 168K which I am fixing up for sale. I should post a pic with these two girls in my driveway, they make such a pretty pair
Old 02-23-10, 12:49 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Walnut
Hey Lexucan, I am in Victoria. Picked up another white '92 ES with 168K which I am fixing up for sale. I should post a pic with these two girls in my driveway, they make such a pretty pair
Yeah, you should post a pic of the twins! It'll probably be difficult to split them up when the time comes!

Last edited by Lexucan; 07-20-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 08:59 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Why isn't this stickied yet?
Old 02-23-10, 10:15 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by 88Legend
Why isn't this stickied yet?
It was stickied...a long time ago. But more recently all the stickies were incorporated into one thread at the top of ES300 and ES350 forum. Just makes it a little harder to find.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...me-inside.html
Old 07-20-10, 07:51 PM
Avidstarr
Rookie

Thanks for this write up Lexucan, my experience with soldering is little to non but your steps kept things in order. Now i can see how fast im going at night! haha.

Oyi... becareful when taking out the needles since i think mine wont read as accurate as it should >_>
Old 10-03-10, 06:13 PM
kado92
Driver School Candidate

i may have missed it somewhere in the 9 pages ... but is it possible to light up the whole needle rather than just the tip?? Also would anyone consider doing this for me for a reasonable price(Lexucan)?
Old 10-04-10, 12:52 PM
Walnut
Driver

There is a guy in Quebec I believe who is rebuilding needles end-to-end for a nice price. Seems that people are liking his service so far.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aliensim/
Old 10-04-10, 09:58 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

nice write up
thanks for taking the time
Old 10-13-10, 06:55 PM
avspecguy
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks for a great solution!

I was googling around for a solution for this problem when I ran accross your post. Now I'm in the process of completing this project for myself. I own a 93 Lexus ES300 that was my son's college car. It served him well but now it's a bit of a fixer upper. It's such a nice car still that I think I'll go ahead and keep it for a spare driver.

I'm amazed at how well your instructions are written! They're nicely detailed with some extra know-how tips for us neophites. Where did you learn to do this kind of stuff?

FYI, I was able to order the LED's using the part # and supplier you listed in your original write up. I think I read where someone said you couldn't get the same part # anymore... Apparently this is not the case.

I was thinking about trying to position one of the resistors on the opposite side of the post to help them balance better. Sounds like it may not be neccessary though. Furhtermore there may not be enough clearance between the "balance end" and the face of the needle. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you very much for an awsome and inexpensive fix!

Last edited by avspecguy; 10-14-10 at 01:25 AM. Reason: more to say..../ask
Old 10-20-10, 08:41 AM
CamH
Driver School Candidate

Hey, guys, I'm new here - Actually, I just bought a 1993 Lexus SC300 yesterday, and it has the notorious needle problems as well. Anyways, it is my understanding that Toyota used electroluminescent wires to light these needles originally.

Knowing this, wouldn't it be possible to order some electroluminescent wire (such as http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/st...oducts_id=1038) and solder it on to the original needles (following instructions similar to http://www.instructables.com/id/how-...ire-junctions/) to give the needles the original factory look?

It seems feasible. I'm thinking about ordering some and giving it a shot. Maybe this is what some of the companies who do gauge cluster repairs are doing?
Old 10-20-10, 08:57 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Actually, Toyota/Lexus started using EL wire in 1997 after the burn-out problems were discovered with the LED needles of the 2nd generation ES and the SC300/400, but due to the fact that the needles need to be balanced to function properly, I have my doubts that trying to incorporate ELW into the earlier model ES or SC needles would be very successful. Nothing to stop you from attempting it though, and I wish you success!
However, if it doesn't work out for you, I do have a ready-to-go set of red-tipped SC needles, if you are interested.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-10, 09:10 AM
CamH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information, Lexucan. I apologize if I haven't searched enough, but what was the lighting scheme on the earlier needles? Were they simply a very tight array of LEDs? Is there some type of comparable strip available online?

I really like the simple solution in this thread, but I'd like to take it a step further to get the "factory" look. I'm looking at the red-tipped needles as a secondary solution if there's no way I can get the needles fully lit without spending lots of money and being without a gauge cluster for weeks.

Quick Reply: Low Budget DIY Solution for Burnt Out Needles