ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Pictures of my ES on Tein S-Techs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 09:05 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Ditto! I want to know how those Tein S-tech's ride.
I've been watching them on ebay forever, but don't really know of any other ES / Camry owner that actually took the plunge!?

Last edited by Pheonix; 06-10-06 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (12-01-22)
Old 06-10-06, 12:05 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MCV20
It depends on how thick the spacer you using on the rear; i m running on 3 mm spacer ( with SC430 wheeks) with about 1.5 - 1.6 drop, no rubbing at all.
Cool! I'm running 5mm spacers in the rear and of course none on the front...long story about how Pep Boys screwed up at first and installed them on the fronts (you probably can find my rant about that on here somewhere using search lol).

Here's another question, Chris, did u install new strut mounts or use the original ones?
Old 06-10-06, 12:11 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Chris, how are those springs in comparison to your factory ride quality? I'm about to get my set next week,

The thing I hate about the factory ones is that that sag so much. Because I have a sub/amp in the trunk it sags my rear a lil bit and I'm wondering if the Tein S- Tech will solve this or not. Are they that much more stronger vs. the OEM springs? How do they handle bumps in the road? And did you get that TRD read Sway/front strut brace setup as well?
honestly, i don't know what stock ride quality feels like! i got the car at 165k and now it's at 190k so when i got it the suspension was pretty much all worn out. the tein s-techs are stiffer and guaranteed not to sag more than 3 mm. i think i actually take speedbumps better now because i used to bottom out since the car was bouncier. you should still be careful though. i did not get the sways or strut brace. the handling is so much better with the wider wheels and lowered suspension.

i recommend taking your car to a professional to roll your fenders. i did mine at home and i cracked the paint, leaving spots for rust to grow on. i had to cover it with touchup paint . i don't really care because you can't see it from the outside, and most of my rubbing stopped. oh and it rubbed because i have 5 mm spacers.
Old 06-10-06, 12:13 PM
chrispy

Cool! I'm running 5mm spacers in the rear and of course none on the front...long story about how Pep Boys screwed up at first and installed them on the fronts (you probably can find my rant about that on here somewhere using search lol).

Here's another question, Chris, did u install new strut mounts or use the original ones?
I had to install new ones because my old ones were broken. my suspension was pretty messed up before! does your car rub at all?
Old 06-10-06, 12:16 PM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I've been watching them on ebay forever, but don't really know of any other ES / Camry owner that actually took the plunge!?
i got the solara springs from ebay for 150 shipped. i think these springs had the best drop without sacrificing ride quality. it's not too low that i scratch on anything so i can almost drive it like it's stock. and taking corners and turns are a lot more fun!
Old 06-10-06, 01:11 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Awesome.
I'll get me some this summer/fall. Just gotta save the money for strut mounts & struts at the same time! So emo!
Old 06-10-06, 03:28 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks Chris. With the stock springs my rear wheels would rub only when I have adult passengers in the rear and when I hit dips/speed bumps in the road. I just bid on the Solara Teins and now that I'll be getting those I think it will solve the problem since you mention they don't sag as much as stock. I have absolutely 0 rub in the front.

The only thing is I need to get are those mounts because my installer put these used solara struts in a year ago which had about 30K miles on them however,they're now making a bogging noise in the front when I hit bumps now which sux.

At the time of the install he said I needed new strut mounts in the front but I didn't get them then since he was out of stock and I wasn't gonna wait any longer. I'm glad you like the ride quality now. Which automobile would you compare it to? 3 Series? Mazda 6? G35?
Old 06-11-06, 11:02 AM
chrispy

Thanks Chris. With the stock springs my rear wheels would rub only when I have adult passengers in the rear and when I hit dips/speed bumps in the road. I just bid on the Solara Teins and now that I'll be getting those I think it will solve the problem since you mention they don't sag as much as stock. I have absolutely 0 rub in the front.

The only thing is I need to get are those mounts because my installer put these used solara struts in a year ago which had about 30K miles on them however,they're now making a bogging noise in the front when I hit bumps now which sux.

At the time of the install he said I needed new strut mounts in the front but I didn't get them then since he was out of stock and I wasn't gonna wait any longer. I'm glad you like the ride quality now. Which automobile would you compare it to? 3 Series? Mazda 6? G35?
you should get some KYB struts. i found them for about 150 without mounts on ebay. i wouldn't know how to compare to any other car because this car is pretty much my first car. i'm only 19. all i can say is it's not as nice as my brother's GS4 on tein coilovers.
Old 06-11-06, 11:34 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

It takes some horrible coilovers to compair well against seperate items. Don't feel bad. Looks awesome & you sound happy with the ride.
Old 06-12-06, 08:30 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChrisES
you should get some KYB struts. i found them for about 150 without mounts on ebay. i wouldn't know how to compare to any other car because this car is pretty much my first car. i'm only 19. all i can say is it's not as nice as my brother's GS4 on tein coilovers.
Actually Chris I'm not sure if you read the last thread we did about this but I actually bought the KYB struts in like March and I'm waiting on the springs and mounts to arrive by the end of the week so I can get the install going. Sorry if I thread jacked but I'm so excited on the overall overhaul I'm about to do to my car. Basically I'm about to add/get serviced:

Brand new KYB Struts
New KYB Strut mounts
Reinstall my SC430 Wheels with the bent rim fixed lol
New ceramic brake pads
New Spark plugs
New Timing Belt with accessories (Tensioner, idler etc)
New TRD Rear Sway Bar
New Strut Tower Brace
and of course a much needed oil change (don't ask how much over I am because its embarrassing lol)

I'll add my pics and my 2 cents on how the car rides soon as its done. Does anyone here have coilovers on a 97-01 style ES300? I think Vin98 has some but I'm not sure. And oh yeah have you got your alignment done yet?
Old 06-12-06, 10:06 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pheonix

i had that setup in '03 lmao
Old 06-12-06, 11:03 PM
chrispy

Actually Chris I'm not sure if you read the last thread we did about this but I actually bought the KYB struts in like March and I'm waiting on the springs and mounts to arrive by the end of the week so I can get the install going. Sorry if I thread jacked but I'm so excited on the overall overhaul I'm about to do to my car. Basically I'm about to add/get serviced:

Brand new KYB Struts
New KYB Strut mounts
Reinstall my SC430 Wheels with the bent rim fixed lol
New ceramic brake pads
New Spark plugs
New Timing Belt with accessories (Tensioner, idler etc)
New TRD Rear Sway Bar
New Strut Tower Brace
and of course a much needed oil change (don't ask how much over I am because its embarrassing lol)

I'll add my pics and my 2 cents on how the car rides soon as its done. Does anyone here have coilovers on a 97-01 style ES300? I think Vin98 has some but I'm not sure. And oh yeah have you got your alignment done yet?
i bet it's gonna feel like a brand new ride. yeah i think vin and gato have coilovers on their cars. i'm planning to change all the belts and spark plugs soon since i'm approaching 200k. still need an alignment too. after changing to sc430 wheels and new suspension, i want those new tires to last. can't wait to see your pics.
Old 06-13-06, 05:26 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChrisES
i bet it's gonna feel like a brand new ride. yeah i think vin and gato have coilovers on their cars. i'm planning to change all the belts and spark plugs soon since i'm approaching 200k. still need an alignment too. after changing to sc430 wheels and new suspension, i want those new tires to last. can't wait to see your pics.
Me neither. Too bad someone outbid me on those strut mounts by 2.00 while I was at work. Dammit! Anyhow, I'll search a yard who may have a set with low miles cheap. I just want it to ride like a brand new car so I can make it last and be more valuable when I decide to sell it. I'll have pics up the day of so everyone can see as well
Old 06-28-06, 07:11 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Me neither. Too bad someone outbid me on those strut mounts by 2.00 while I was at work. Dammit! Anyhow, I'll search a yard who may have a set with low miles cheap. I just want it to ride like a brand new car so I can make it last and be more valuable when I decide to sell it. I'll have pics up the day of so everyone can see as well
Ok..I finally ordered the much needed KYB strut mounts (5179 and 5180) for the 2 front struts. I also just received the s-tech lowering springs that finally made it to my parent's house today. (Damn qualifiedjapeneseparts ebay seller lol took almost a month to make it to my house after paypal fee was paid the day after the auction ended) Anyhow, I'm going to take everything into service and get all the above done and I'll have an update for you guys soon. I can't wait to see how the car will drive and respond now especially on the twisting roads. I'm sure Chris can somewhat attest to that!

And yes my oil was changed about 2 weeks ago lol...

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-28-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 08:48 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea.. for those who want stechs, a lot of fakes are going around ebay, so watch out

Quick Reply: Pictures of my ES on Tein S-Techs