ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

95 ES: high pass filter on rear channels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 02:48 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ES: high pass filter on rear channels?

Hello,

I replaced my rear 6x9 with a pair of Polk 6x9 3 ways, I took out the tweeter and mid so I am just running the rear channels to a pair of woofers. However, I found no improve in bass response. Same flat low end as before.

Before someone tells me to get a sub to get good bass, I want to emphasize that I only want to improve low end from stock, not going all out.

My question is: Are there high pass filters embedded in the stock amp rear channel? The speakers are not hitting the low end at all.

TIA
Old 06-09-06, 04:39 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Buy an amp for the 6x9's.
The simple fact is you've still got a factory pioneer amp that can't push but 15-20watts max on that channel. By upgrading, you've lost the bad (but sensative / low power requirement) paper speakers & traded them for some that will bearly wake up when the factory amp is maxed out.

Most descent 6*9's really want 30-40watt RMS for general playing. Not like, 5-10watts.
You an do great sub setups without them costing much & still retain your trunk.

Otherwise.... Ditch the 6x9's, cut out the deck & install some *real* midbass drivers. Kicker SMB8's rock. I loved mine. No, there is no high pass filter. You're just not driving the 6x9's.

It's a pain... But you can cut the dek out & mount your deck speakers in a small closed, or ported enclosure & they'll sound infinately better. Just do the math on volume & port size if you're going to try a proted enclosure on them.
Old 06-09-06, 06:07 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

How come the front doors have more bass than the rear, if they are both full range?
Old 06-10-06, 08:51 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

They're driven harder? Balance? I don't know.
I don't *like* telling people to spend money, but go spend alittle money LoL!
You can buy used single channel 150-250watt amps on ebay for like $20-40usd & a wiring "kit" for $10-15usd shipped.
Old 06-10-06, 12:36 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pheonix
They're driven harder? Balance? I don't know.
I don't *like* telling people to spend money, but go spend alittle money LoL!
You can buy used single channel 150-250watt amps on ebay for like $20-40usd & a wiring "kit" for $10-15usd shipped.
Yeah, I could easily spend some money and get it over with. But it's not my questions, if you don't know the answer, don't try to convince me to spend money.
Old 06-10-06, 01:28 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

WTF Sheesh you try to help people... You screwed it up, You didn't do your own math. So don't take it out on me.
The FSM, tells you everything you need to know. RTM
The current polk lineup of 6*9's (as searched off google) all want 100watts RMS. That amp puts out roughly 20 watts peak per channel.

Buy an amp, buy a big head unit, or keep suffering - that's the bottom line.
Good luck with that.
Old 06-10-06, 11:58 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

The fsm doesn't have that info. i have it.
Old 06-24-06, 06:52 PM
Spyder187
Rookie

WIMPWGN, did you ever get this solved?

The efficiency of the polks seem to be 91db and 93db depending on model at 4 Ohm average impedence. If the efficiency is 1db @ 1w/m, then I don't get how they couldn't be playing nicely, as in amount of bass. Did you try readjusting the front/back balance?

Their frequency response goes down to 35hz, again not sure what the differential range is for that, +/- 2db or something. Everytime you double the power, volume should increase by 3db, so if the stock radio puts out 15W, you should have lots of volume. How loud do you turn your system up and what sort of bass are you trying to feel/hear?
Old 06-24-06, 09:52 PM
WIMPWGN
Rookie

Originally Posted by Spyder187
WIMPWGN, did you ever get this solved?

The efficiency of the polks seem to be 91db and 93db depending on model at 4 Ohm average impedence. If the efficiency is 1db @ 1w/m, then I don't get how they couldn't be playing nicely, as in amount of bass. Did you try readjusting the front/back balance?

Their frequency response goes down to 35hz, again not sure what the differential range is for that, +/- 2db or something. Everytime you double the power, volume should increase by 3db, so if the stock radio puts out 15W, you should have lots of volume. How loud do you turn your system up and what sort of bass are you trying to feel/hear?
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I did not get it resolved. The rear volume seem very faint compared to the front. I guess it's a good thing since I dont want the rear to overpower the front to ruin the staging. But bass is still lacklustering. I adjusted the fade to rear only and volume at medium, not very good. Dont know what to do.