ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Info Needed Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 08:31 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info Needed Urgent

I was very fortunate to have a 1992 Es300 passed down to me. So I am new to the Lexus family, Hi all. Now as for the car it currently sits with just passed the 200k mile, yes many miles. Now my questions are 1. I know the car is is need of an oil change but the (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT JUST TURNED ON RECENTLY) but i have no clue what this may mean, do some out there have any suggestions. 2. The **** to turn the radio volume up is kicked out, dont know y but on accident, so the screw on the inside wont raise or lower the volume would it be better for the dealership to fix or replace with an aftermarket radio? and if the dealership is the best route how much would this probalby run for because if this car needs alot of work ill just have to start saving instead of enjoying it. The only problem i have with the car that im not too sure if it is related to the check engine light coming on recently its auto, but first seems to kick a lil rough....whats going wrong with the transmission and should it be looked at quick?
Old 06-20-06, 08:47 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

When its changing gears from 1st to 2nd thats when it kicks rough, help please thanks
Old 06-20-06, 08:49 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Diagnostics port, connect TE1 & E1 - the CEL flashes the code.

Get back with us.
Old 06-20-06, 09:09 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

so in simpler terms what has more than likely gone wrong with the (cel)
Old 06-20-06, 09:29 AM
ZaxEX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itgrowsind
so in simpler terms what has more than likely gone wrong with the (cel)
CEL, as in Check Engine Light. I've never done it in my ES, but in my Taurus theres a way to run a self diagnostic test. (Look in your Lex manual) The Check Engine Light will flash a certain number of times in a row, say for example 4 times, then a break, then flash 6 times. It showed you 2 codes. You may have to look online to find what it means when the light flashes a certain number of times.

I have no idea if this is how Lexus does it, but thats how it works on most cars, so best of luck to ya.
Old 06-20-06, 09:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We ask for your location so we have a clue what your driving environment is like... hot, cold, dust, humidity.... No one really cares where you live...

You'll need a paper clip to short out the two diagnostic port wire locations referenced. This will activate the engine diagnostic computer readout and flash a light (CEL) on the dashboard. Long flash or short flash in sequences, repeating while the short remains connected.

Or have it looked at by a qualified person to determine if the value of the auto is worth the cost of the repairs.

You, sometimes, have to look a gift horse in the mouth.... with two hundred thousand miles in any case.
Old 06-20-06, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a lot of things. If the tranny kicks rough it could be that the fluid needs to be changed along with the tranny filter. (And the engine light can also be on due to the tranny.) And for that ****, if you want another oem radio, buy it from elsewhere besides the dealer. If you want an aftermarket one, it's fine, but you need to do some modifications.
Old 06-20-06, 11:30 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Short TE1 & E1

Start with the beginning, then we'll troubleshoot.
Old 06-21-06, 11:50 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

I've only had this car for a week but want to get it fixed but i dont have any clue how to connect the two cables to do the diagnostic
Old 06-21-06, 04:49 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Anything that conducts electricity.
A wire, A paperclip, etc.
Old 06-24-06, 08:27 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

I am unable to locate the area where im supposed to connect the wires Is it on the left or right side? And while im driving 1st kicks 3rd kicks and when im about 60-65 it fells like it slips while just driving at those speeds. any one had this problem?
Old 06-24-06, 08:33 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

ok found the diagnostic port. but it looks as if all my fuses in there are kerroded....not sure if i spelled that right. They look like their all to hell. I'm gonna try to get some pics on here but see if i can. Where would i be able to get replacements, their in real bad shape!
Old 06-24-06, 08:46 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

Okay i connected the Te1 asnd E1 but i got no reading of any sort. So i repeated and did it when the car on, where am I supposed to be getting the reading? nothing happened while it was connected,,,, having trouble please help
Old 06-24-06, 08:46 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

The thing that still shows is where it says CHECK and the enging sign
Old 06-24-06, 09:43 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

There's not fuses in the diagnostics port. It's just little plugs, and normaly it will have a greasy stuff in them smeared around (die-electric grease to keep moisture out).

When you connect TE1 & E1 together, and turn the key to ON. The computer is in diagnostic mode.
The check engine light will flash a pattern to tell you what's wrong.

Quick Reply: Info Needed Urgent