ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES300 Questions (new owner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 08:59 PM
99es300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ES300 Questions (new owner)

For one, did I pay too much for a 1999 ES300, 110k at $7500?

I have several questions:
1. On the 2000-01 ES300's, the remote and key are all-in-one units. Can I buy one off of eBay and have that remote programmed to my car? Would it work (and have the key cut to match mine)?

2. Also on the 2000-01 ES300's the back taillights are different. Can I swap mine for the newer versions? I heard that I could, but where can I find the tail light cover for the 2000-01? I looked on eBay and they are hard to come by.

Thanks.. I'm sure I'll have more questions later on...
Old 06-20-06, 09:21 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site!
I'm not sure about your first question, but I upgraded to the `01 tail lamps, they bolt on perfectly. You might have to buy a small section of the rear light bulb harness, which isn't too expensive.
Yeah they are pretty hard to find on ebay or for a decent price for that matter , I bought mine from the dealer.
Old 06-21-06, 12:50 PM
99es300
Rookie

Default Question 1

For example, this ebay auction has the new remote for sale. Could this remote/key combo be programmed/ cut to my 1999?? Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, is what I got it for a good price?
Old 06-21-06, 02:03 PM
99es300
Rookie

What about a wood trim steering wheel? How hard would it be to get/install?
Old 06-21-06, 09:10 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not too sure about either topics.
I've never replaced my keys before.
As far as the steering wheel, It looks like it will fit, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-22-06, 05:33 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99es300
Yes the wood steering wheel for the '00-'01 ES will fit in your '99. The kicker here is that most of the steering wheels sold on Ebay come without the air bag, and you'll need to retain the air bag from your old wheel for the new one. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the DIY procedure for removing/installing the wheel, but if you do a search for "install steering wheel" in any of the Lexus model forums (not just the ES), you should be able to find the general answer. Hope that helps
Old 06-23-06, 08:21 PM
jondiego
Driver School Candidate

Default not too much help

I have a 98 ES 300 and It has wood grain on the steering wheel, so I guess it is available, but i'm not too sure where you can have it installed. Just search the net and you should be able to find it fairly easy.
Old 06-24-06, 05:20 PM
hkbladelaw
Driver School Candidate

For one, did I pay too much for a 1999 ES300, 110k at $7500?

I have several questions:
1. On the 2000-01 ES300's, the remote and key are all-in-one units. Can I buy one off of eBay and have that remote programmed to my car? Would it work (and have the key cut to match mine)?

2. Also on the 2000-01 ES300's the back taillights are different. Can I swap mine for the newer versions? I heard that I could, but where can I find the tail light cover for the 2000-01? I looked on eBay and they are hard to come by.

Thanks.. I'm sure I'll have more questions later on...
First answer: No, paying 7500 for a 1999 ES is actually a good deal assuming its in good condition...I checked KBB just now...

Second Answer: The lexus keys can only be made by the dealer, and the electronic keys as you know are well over 150 bux, so heres what you do...Get an aftermarket alarm to unlock your doors...or just dont be lazy and use the key at the door. The non-electronic keys at lexus over here are 65 bux...

Third Answer: I'm not sure on this...read someone else's post
Old 06-28-06, 10:22 PM
Pchaser
Driver

Hi Im new here this is my first post but anyway, I am a used car dealer I sell cars 15k & under on my lot. just wanted to say $7500 for a 99ES with 110k in good condition is a fair price

also my wife has an ES300 & I plan on upgrading the taillights, grille, wood steering wheel & headlights to HID from 00-01 ES
so chances are I will probly be bidding against u on ebay for the 00-01 stuff LOL

Originally Posted by hkbladelaw
Second Answer: The lexus keys can only be made by the dealer, and the electronic keys as you know are well over 150 bux, so heres what you do...Get an aftermarket alarm to unlock your doors...or just dont be lazy and use the key at the door. The non-electronic keys at lexus over here are 65 bux...
NOT true Lexus makes everyone believe that crap & they even brainwash their employees to believe it ...quite a few locksmiths make Lexus keys with transponder chips they program them also, u need to bring 1 master key & the car or just 2 master keys & they can do it in like 15min

most locksmiths dont have the machine because it cost so much money, so it may be hard to find one unless u live in a big city
Old 01-30-07, 08:59 PM
99es300
Rookie

Ok, [to the post above] so the key can be CUT to match mine, BUT can the newer-style "all-in-one" REMOTE be PROGRAMMED to mine? They are found in the 2000-2001 ES300's and I have a '99 but I really like the all-in-one key, a lot less on the key chain so can I have a newer-style remote programed to match mine? (I know the actual key blades are the same so having it cut shouldn't be a problem, just matching the frequencies or whatever you do to make the remote work with my car).... THANKS to anyone who can help answer!!!
Old 02-01-07, 03:51 PM
99es300
Rookie

Anyone Know???!
Old 02-01-07, 07:36 PM
Instructor

This was written by silversc3

"uh...........

i programmed my remote to my car no problem, all it takes is the master key...

uhm, here's what i have on it...

Registaration of recognition code:

Follow the flow chart on the following page to register the transmitter recognition code with the wireless door lock ECU.

HINT:
- If the prescribed conditions are not enetered while registering the transmitter code, the wireless door lock ECU returns to normal operation.
- There are 4 modes: add mode, rewrite mode, confirmation mode, and erase mode; the mode to use is decided after the recognition code is registered.
- If a maximum of 4 recognition codes can be registered

Reference:
- The add mode is used to retain codes already registered while you register new recognition codes. However, if the number of registered codes exceeds 4 codes, previous registered codes are correspondingly erased in order, starting from the first registered code.
- The rewrite mode is used to erase all previous registered codes before registering new recognition codes. This mode is used when replacing the transmitter or wireless door lock ECU.
- The confirmation mode is for confirming how many recognition codes are already registered before you register additioned recognition codes.
- The erase mode is used to erase all registered modes and cancels the wireless door lock operates. Use this mode when the transmitter is lost.

Here's the actual process, it's complicated and it took me a couple of tries to do it right.

To begin with, the vehicle should be as follows
- The key is not inserted in the ignition key cylinder
- Driver's door is OPEN (other doors are CLOSED)
- Driver's door is UNLOCKED

1. Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder, then remove it.

2. Within 40 seconds: Using the door control switch (for manual operation) move the switch 5 times to LOCK/UNLOCK at approximately 1 second intervals (so in this step, hit the lock button on the driver's door, then the unlock button a second later, and repeat 5 times)

3. Close the driver's door, then open it

4. Repeat step 2, again within 40 seconds

5. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder

6. Turn the ignition switch (the key) from ON to LOCK at approximately 1 second intervals for 1 - 5 times, depending on which mode..

Add mode - 1 time
Rewrite mode - 2 times
Confirmation mode - 3 times
Erase mode - 5 times

7. Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder

8a. If add, rewrite, or erase mode have been selected:

The car should now lock and unlock the door itself, the number of times depending on which mode you selected. The number will be the same number you used to select the mode. So if you chose add, then the car will lock and unlock once, if you chose rewrite, then the car will lock and unlock twice...

8b. The car will lock/unlock itself at 2 second intervals for each set of code programmed into the car.

9. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

10. The wireless door lock ECU automatically performs LOCK-UNLOCK once at a 1 second interval to inform the technician that it has received the signal from the transmitter

11. Close the driver's door, then open it.

12. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

13. The car will LOCK-UNLOCK one or twice at 1 second intervals. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's once, then the it is completed. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's twice, then it has not been completed because the ECU didn't receive the same code from steps 9 and 12 or when selecting add mode, a recognition code indicating registration completed was already received.

In case it lock-unlock's twice, just go back to step 9 and keep trying

Now I know the directions look kinda whack, but it worked for me after a few tries..."
Old 02-01-07, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hkbladelaw

Second Answer: The lexus keys can only be made by the dealer
Ilco also cuts Lexus keys.
Old 02-01-07, 09:22 PM
99es300
Rookie

THANKS a lot for getting back to me, but do you guys understand my question? I want the NEW style key that is normally for a '00-'01, I have a '99. Will the 'codes' match and stuff for the remote if I buy a '00-'01 remote? I understand that the key can be cut to match, but will the remote work? (A 2000-01 remote with a 1999 ES300) Sorry if I am being redundant but I just want to be sure before I shell out the money. THANKS AGAIN!
Old 02-08-07, 05:26 PM
99es300
Rookie

Anyone Know??

Quick Reply: 1999 ES300 Questions (new owner)