ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

new here with some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 12:10 PM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here with some questions...

hey guys, i just got a 92 lexus es300, and i had a couple questions...
the speedometer needle isnt illuminated anymore, and the tach needle is slowly going out as well...ive heard this is a common problem and i was just wondering if its an easy fix.
also, my left rear window is off the track...is it hard to fix that, and how would i go about doing that?
i have used bimmerforums.com for the last year for help on my other car, and its been a major help...
any replys are appreciated!!!
oh yeah, when can i post pics??? on bf.c its after 20 posts...
Old 06-24-06, 01:10 PM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

here are some pics...

Old 06-24-06, 04:15 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You may be able to transplant the needle from another cluster but the best thing to do would be to contact Lextech.org and see what they can do for you.
Old 06-24-06, 10:53 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you know how to do a bit of soldering, I posted a DIY gauge needle fix that I did on my '93 ES300. It isn't perfect, in that the needles will not be totally illuminated from base to tip as the originals were when they were new (and working) but after the fix, the tips of the needles are all lit up and the gauges are easily readable in all light levels. Better than having to use a flashlight to see how fast ur going!

I'm real happy with the way mine turned out. Here's the write-up I posted (with pics):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217411

On the other hand, if you need to have totally illuminated needles again, I agree with Lexbox about checking out Lextech.org.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-06, 12:21 PM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys for the replys...are the people on this site not very talkative or what??? i was expecting more than 2 responses...haha, anyways, the needle doesnt really bother me too much...i just look at the tach, or whats left of it, to make sure im not speeding...i have a bad record
Old 06-25-06, 12:27 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

thanks guys for the replys...are the people on this site not very talkative or what??? i was expecting more than 2 responses
Most likely it's because most members are not doing computer things on the weekend.
Old 06-26-06, 10:04 AM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amf1932
Most likely it's because most members are not doing computer things on the weekend.
haha...what are you trying to say...that youre better than me??? haha
Old 06-26-06, 10:54 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sleepy740
haha...what are you trying to say...that youre better than me??? haha
Not at all.....I meant that the internet is very quiet on the weekends.
Old 06-26-06, 08:55 PM
blazin3gen
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepy740
here are some pics...

holly **** my cluster is 100% exact to yours! it annoys the crap outa me
Old 06-26-06, 10:03 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

My cluster looked pretty bad too. I had two needles completely dead, one that was only half lit up, and the fourth was flickering and almost ready to bite the dust. Plus some of the backlighting was burnt out. So, I replaced all of the backlights with white/blue LEDs and removed the needles and replaced the dead and dieing LED strips inside each with a fresh new bright red LED at the tip.

Went from looking like this:

To this:

in a few hours.....and it cost me about as much as a lunch at McDonalds!
After it was done it took a few days to get used to the new look but now it's like it was never any other way. Friends who have ridden in the car since I did the work say they would have thought it came like that from the factory if they hadn't seen the cluster earlier with the burnt out needles.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-26-06 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 05:50 PM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blazin3gen
holly **** my cluster is 100% exact to yours! it annoys the crap outa me
yeah it sucks...but i dont speed...haha, i havent even floored it yet!!!
Old 06-27-06, 05:52 PM
sleepy740
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexucan
My cluster looked pretty bad too. I had two needles completely dead, one that was only half lit up, and the fourth was flickering and almost ready to bite the dust. Plus some of the backlighting was burnt out. So, I replaced all of the backlights with white/blue LEDs and removed the needles and replaced the dead and dieing LED strips inside each with a fresh new bright red LED at the tip.

To this:

After it was done it took a few days to get used to the new look but now it's like it was never any other way. Friends who have ridden in the car since I did the work say they would have thought it came like that from the factory if they hadn't seen the cluster earlier with the burnt out needles.
wow, that looks pretty good acutally...it really doesnt bother me too much, except for at night...but i can deal with it...i just need to get new tail lights, there is a lot of condensation after i wash it...oh, and i need to fix the the part of the windsheild wipers that shoots out the water...i guess its broken too
Old 06-29-06, 10:08 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan

To this:

That looks REAL nice. Do you have any more info on the bulbs and pics of the needle repair for us?
Old 06-29-06, 10:43 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Lexbox
That looks REAL nice. Do you have any more info on the bulbs and pics of the needle repair for us?
The 8 instrument cluster incandescent backlight (#286) bulbs I replaced with white/blue ultra bright 5mm wedge-base LEDs that I purchased on E-Bay.

The needle fix I wrote up and posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217411

At first blush, the write-up may appear to involve too much work for some, but it really is a fairly straight forward and not too complicated a DIY project. The write-up is somewhat lengthy because I attempted to make it as self-explanatory as possible. It is simply removing the needles, taking out the old burnt out LED strip inside each needle, and soldering in a new LED with a couple of resistors.
The pictures don't really do the project justice. If you saw how the cluster is now (in person) compared to how it was before, I think you would agree that it looks quite impressive. And the bonus is, it costs very little to do.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-29-06 at 10:47 PM.