ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

got a few questions on 97ES to 01ES upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 01:05 AM
Pchaser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a few questions on 97ES to 01ES upgrades

Sup everyone Im new here & had a few questions
Im not new to forums so I know "search button" is my friend
but had a few questions some things I searched & came up with incomplete conclusions
& some I didnt find
my wife has a 97 ES300 & of course I am going to upgrade it to the 00-01 look

1. Taillights I heard on here its just an easy swap-out but then I heard u may need to change the harnesses. If anyone on here knows for sure which is it will be greatly appreciated. & if I have to change the wire harnesses do I have to splice them & match colors are do they have short wire harnesses that i can just swap them out too. (I hope this doesnt sound confusing they way i put it)

2. 97 grille to 01 grille Im 99% sure this is just an easy swap out but I notice some members on here are taking out there 00-01 grille & using the 97-99 grille (I guess they dont like the chrome grille look?) so if any member is going to do this in the near future I'd be glad to swap or if anyone is selling a 00-01 grille for a decent price contact me.

3. 97 headlights to 01 HID headlights swap complete, I dont wanna just do the bulb & ballast & splice wires. Im doing the complete 01 headlight with everthing attached
has anyone on here done this (im prety sure they have)
my question is will it be completely plug & play or will I have to splice wires to make it work?

4. I know the 00 woodgrain radio will not plug up into 97 I plan on getting the radio with harness & pigtails attached from a junkyard
I know I will have to splice wires & match them up so. Is there a DIY with pics on CL somewhere, I searched but didnt find

5. didnt search this one but which steering wheels are interchangable with a 97 ES (wood steering wheels only) Its very hard to find the 00-01 wood wheel with gray leather but
I find 02-03 steering wheels very cheap for some reason (I know I will have to get an airbag with it) but will it still function. I dont know which Lexus are stage 1 or stage 2 airg bag system

6. Has anyone on here upgraded to heated seats to there ES 97-01??
Im thinking about doing it

7. anyone in NY NJ PA DE CT area selling there stock 00-01 16" rims?

8. sorry so many questions
Old 07-01-06, 08:43 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Answers:

1) Yes, the wiring harnesses for your '97 tails will have to be swapped out for those of the '01. If I remember correctly, you can get the '01 wiring harnesses for relatively cheap at the dealership.

2) Currently I have the original '01 grille back in mine, but I also have the '97 grille on the side. No plans to get rid of the '01 grille now, sorry.

3) Early this year I completed the '01 HID replacement, which includes everything except the auto-leveling mechanism. I was planning not to implement auto-leveling into the headlights since I can still adjust the headlights manually if need be. For pics and write-up of my headlight project, click here.

4) No answer to that one..

5) There is a member here, named MRLEXUS, who retrofitted an '02 steering wheel (including airbag) into his custom blue '97 ES. I'm sure the MODE and RESET controls don't work, but pretty sure cruise control will still work.

6) I don't know of anyone who's done it but the wirings for heated seats may already be there (correct me anyone if I'm wrong). You'd just need the shifter woodgrain trim w/ the heat controls to replace with, connect the wirings together, and be done with.

7) I sold my factory rims a long while ago to a local guy intending to put them in his '05 Sienna. Now I've just been riding the factory wheels from an '03 ES. Better looking than the '01 rims IMO.

8) No problem at all
Old 07-01-06, 10:17 AM
Pchaser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a million man

ur HID conversion looks sweet
now the auto leveling mechanism ...I didnt know ES came with that (I learn somethin new everyday)
was it to hard to do or was it not possible or u just didnt bother?

I'll try to contact MrLexus to find out the steering wheel swap my main concern is will the airbag work because its my wifes car.

I figured the seats may be pre wired in all Lexus because i have done non-power seats to power seat swaps in Acura's & Honda's before & those were wired already, so maybe someone could shed a little more light on this topic or maybe I'll just have to try it & cross my fingers

& yes the 03 wheels are better but when I find them ppl want an arm & a leg for them
so I wont even try asking for the 07 17" rims
whats worse is my wifes doesnt want gray alloy ...only chrome or silver (who does she think she is!!)