ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fuel filter replacement 92 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 01:28 PM
tafoya1971
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter replacement 92 ES300

Hey guys,,

ANyone ever change fuel filter in 92 es300? I bought the part and was going to do it then became harder than I thought so I left alone.
Maybe I was doing something wrong cuz I was trying to un bolt it and it was not having it. ANyone can help?

thanks
Old 07-19-06, 10:38 AM
kahuna825
Driver School Candidate

I am going to assume that you were trying to unbolt the bracket, after that it is not that difficult to change. I did mine within 10 min or so. Are you sure you are loosening it the right way? Everyone has that difficulty at some time. after that it's just the two hoses and taking them off. Remember though, make sure the new filter goes in the way the old one comes out, should be an arrow on the filter.
Old 07-19-06, 10:39 AM
kahuna825
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Filter

I am going to assume that you were trying to unbolt the bracket, after that it is not that difficult to change. I did mine within 10 min or so. Are you sure you are loosening it the right way? Everyone has that difficulty at some time. after that it's just the two hoses and taking them off. Remember though, make sure the new filter goes in the way the old one comes out, should be an arrow on the filter to show gas flow.
Old 07-21-06, 12:11 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always have trouble with the fuel filter .. as easy as it looks to just unscrew it and put the new one in.. but remember the filter might be the stock one(14 years old).. sometimes it's stuck in there. that the fuel line need to be cut..and it's always a good idea to get a OEM part cuz i try the after market stuff and when i put it all together.. gas be leaking out like a mother... but anyways. good luck..
Old 07-21-06, 04:35 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

All the fuel filters across the entire camry platform (and afew others, 4runner/truck, etc.) of that period were notoriously hard to change. Toyota "accidently" specified a torque entirely too high to the plants, who wrenched the fuel filters on almost to their breaking point (when new).

One of three things will happen:
1) You'll use enough penitrating oil & enough muscle to break them loose. Don't be afraid to put everything you have into it because of #2
2) You'll put so much force through it you break it, requiring a new fuel filter & a bit of new line
3) You know beforehand that it's difficult & decide to cut it off in the first place & run a new bit of hose.

That's generally how it goes. The good news, is that you really only have to change the main filter about once every 10 years & if they've ever been changed. They won't be that hard. Ofcorse that's barring you don't do something stupid like put Diesel in the gas tank!
Old 03-30-07, 02:35 PM
ralber
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing Fuel Filter

Originally Posted by Pheonix
All the fuel filters across the entire camry platform (and afew others, 4runner/truck, etc.) of that period were notoriously hard to change. Toyota "accidently" specified a torque entirely too high to the plants, who wrenched the fuel filters on almost to their breaking point (when new).

One of three things will happen:
1) You'll use enough penitrating oil & enough muscle to break them loose. Don't be afraid to put everything you have into it because of #2
2) You'll put so much force through it you break it, requiring a new fuel filter & a bit of new line
3) You know beforehand that it's difficult & decide to cut it off in the first place & run a new bit of hose.

That's generally how it goes. The good news, is that you really only have to change the main filter about once every 10 years & if they've ever been changed. They won't be that hard. Ofcorse that's barring you don't do something stupid like put Diesel in the gas tank!
Can I ask where the fuel filter is? I've got a '93 ES300 with surging problems, particularly at stop lights when it's warm. I suspect the fuel filter hasn't been changed in the 175,000 miles since it was new, but I'm not sure where the filter is located.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-07, 04:00 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

follow the fuel line coming off the fuel rail. driver's wheel well.

I think you have a vacuum leak.
Old 03-31-07, 06:24 PM
ralber
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Pheonix. I did indeed have a vacuum leak and discovered it by reading some other posts on this excellent message board. I duck taped my cracked air intake hose and the car runs as good as new (almost). No more hesitation or rough idle.

Originally Posted by Pheonix
follow the fuel line coming off the fuel rail. driver's wheel well.

I think you have a vacuum leak.
Old 02-23-14, 03:24 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

What is the exact procedure for replacing the fuel filter on a 3VZ-FE?

Do you need to clamp the fuel line on one side or the other of the filter? Does the fuel pump need disabling?

Do you need to open the tank to relieve pressure?

How many nuts & bolts need removing? Is there just a single bolt on either side?

Are any special tools required? What tools are needed?
Old 02-26-14, 09:56 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

anyone?????????
Old 02-26-14, 10:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
What is the exact procedure for replacing the fuel filter on a 3VZ-FE?
I don't know the exact procedure, but the gist of it is remove the airbox, then use a 1/2" ratchet with extension and remove the banjo bolt on the top of the filter. Then use a flare wrench or perhaps a crescent wrench to remove the line at the bottom of the filter. Use sharp quick force to break the fasteners free, especially the bottom one there is a danger of rounding off the nut or even twisting the fuel line.
Do you need to clamp the fuel line on one side or the other of the filter? Does the fuel pump need disabling?

Do you need to open the tank to relieve pressure?
Some fuel may spray out but not a lot. Wear eye protection and have the engine cool. You may need to use a combination of tools to get the bottom nut loose. You can use a rag to catch some of the fuel, if you do this put the rag outside in the open somewhere so the fuel can evaporate. Removing the gas cap to relieve pressure is a good idea although I'm not sure it actually helps but can't hurt. Some people disable the fuel pump by pulling a fuse or relay then attempting to start the engine, this will release fuel pressure. I don't bother doing this.
Are any special tools required? What tools are needed?
No special tools except for maybe a 6 sided flare wrench, 17mm I think but can't remember might be 14mm. Oh yea disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting the job.

Last edited by LeX2K; 02-26-14 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 11:42 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Thank you... much appreciated..
Old 02-27-14, 05:24 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is so hard about replacing fuel filter on Camry/Lexus???? Not much harder than replacing a wheel.
Use ratchet with extension on top banjo bolt and use flare nut wrench on the bottom fitting. You probably want to remove driver's wheel to access bottom fitting better. Also Toyota used blue lock-tite on fuel filter so bottom one is bit harder to pull off.
Old 02-27-14, 08:24 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I don't know that anything about it is all that hard....

I've never replaced the fuel filter myself on any car I've had so wanted to know a few things...

I don't have a set of flare nut wrenches so now I know they might be useful for this I grab a set... they were on my list of things to get at some stage so now I will that I've got a use for one...
Old 02-28-14, 09:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by mitmaks
What is so hard about replacing fuel filter on Camry/Lexus????
Nothing, but the bottom fitting especially can be really hard to remove. In my experience it's because the previous person tightened the the fitting way too much. On an original filter I've never had an issue, also never seen thread locker on any of them I've done.