ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is it only my ES300 that is a peice of ****?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 11:16 AM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it only my ES300 that is a peice of ****?

You might have seen my other posts, if not here it is:

2000 Lexus ES300... many issues with it. Its on the secound transmission, and is currently in the shop getting both knock sensors and thte sway bar replaced. Half the lights in the center counsle burnt out, the tail lights burn out 3 times a year, the cup holders don't hold drinks, the center consol storage compartment thingy broke, and is now being held down with velcro. The headlights HID sensor is broken, which causes my lights to aim up and blind everyone, I get many highbeams a day, and Lexus wants 700 dollars just for the sensor. The paint inbetween the windows is fading and peeling off also. The Lexus dealership has treated us like complete **** also, which is quite stupid saying its time for us to buy a new car, and they knew we where interested in buying another Lexus, but after our expierience, the Benz dealer will most likely be seeing us.

Overall, its not a great buying experience on a car which MSRP's at 37,000.

Well after getting the sway bar fixxed, it started making noise two days later, they installed a defective sway bar. Yay, more time at Lexus. Got that fixxed, drove nice for about 2 weeks, besides when you had the A/C on, you can hear a loud grinding noise from outside the car. Then a couple days ago, my girlfreind asked me why the windows where rolling up so slow, I didn't think anything about it. Last night the add oil light comes on (Oil was changed 6000 miles ago) and as I remove the cap I notice build-ups of oil and gunk on the cap, not sure if that is normal with an ES300? My two DSM's never have done this before... I said what ever, went home and parked it. Today I go to run to the store, and when I come out the car is dead. I get it jumped and drive it home. The whole way home, all the lights are flashing, the transmission is rough shifting in gears, and my windows bearly rolled down. So Im thinking great, now I need to put an alernator in here too.

This is weeks before we get rid of it and get a new car, Id love a IS350, but after all these issues with the Lexus, and Lexus has never stood by there cars like I think they should, I doub't they will get our money. But is it just me? Is this car like a lemon? haha I mean this car makes my first car in terms of reliability look golden, and that was a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 151,000 miles.
Old 07-22-06, 01:52 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Are you the original owner? daily maintained? whats your Mileage?
Sorry to hear about all your unfortunate mishaps with the Lex. Odd the dealer would be obnoxious to there customers.
I hope the best of luck for whatever vehicle you decide.
Old 07-22-06, 02:37 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

sounds like a lemon. lol at comparing a DSM to a lexus.
Old 07-22-06, 08:28 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever consider trying a different dealer for service? It could just be a bad dealer who sold you a very mistreated car. From my experiences all you need is some regularly scheduled maintenence to be worry free with any lex.
Old 07-22-06, 11:43 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

You might have seen my other posts, if not here it is:
2000 Lexus ES300... many issues with it. Its on the secound transmission,
Remember, 90% of transmission failures are from poor/low fluid barring some catostrphic failure. Which is definately what you had to begin with, but still.
getting both knock sensors
That's a total pain in the ***. I feel for you on that one.
and thte sway bar replaced.
What? that's BS. See later.
Half the lights in the center counsle burnt out
That is crappy, but atleast it's not a difficult process to replace them. You know all lights burn out eventually.
the tail lights burn out 3 times a year
Thats sucky. Check the wiring & moisture
the cup holders don't hold drinks
Sure they do. Just not when you're in Drive! LoL! Hey... It says in the manuals you shouldn't be doing both!
the center consol storage compartment thingy broke, and is now being held down with velcro.
Dang man!? Whatd ya break it with? They don't just fall off! I'm 100% joking, but ya know. eBay, or TapRecycling.net. Grab a new one.
The headlights HID sensor is broken, which causes my lights to aim up and blind everyone, I get many highbeams a day, and Lexus wants 700 dollars just for the sensor.
That is a crock tho. ebay or tap.
The Lexus dealership has treated us like complete **** also, which is quite stupid saying its time for us to buy a new car, and they knew we where interested in buying another Lexus, but after our expierience, the Benz dealer will most likely be seeing us.
I wouldn't blame you.
Overall, its not a great buying experience on a car which MSRP's at 37,000.

Well after getting the sway bar fixxed, it started making noise two days later, they installed a defective sway bar.
Dude you're getting BS'ed LoL! You don't install a new sway bar. The $20 sway bar bushings simply get old. If you don't re-grease them periodically the bushing goes dry & that's where the squaks & groans come from. They don't make cars that don't do this over time!
The end-links also get replaced periodically.
Neither are expencive, nor hard to replace.
Last night the add oil light comes on (Oil was changed 6000 miles ago) and as I remove the cap I notice build-ups of oil and gunk on the cap, not sure if that is normal with an ES300? My two DSM's never have done this before... I said what ever, went home and parked it.
Yes. If you're not changing it, or using a good oil. Is it varnish, or is it black sludge?
This is sludge.

If it's black, it's bad. If it's just orangy, that's normal.

Today I go to run to the store, and when I come out the car is dead. I get it jumped and drive it home. The whole way home, all the lights are flashing, the transmission is rough shifting in gears, and my windows bearly rolled down. So Im thinking great, now I need to put an alernator in here too.
Dang man, don't go golfing in the rain! You got some baaad luck!

This is weeks before we get rid of it and get a new car, Id love a IS350, but after all these issues with the Lexus, and Lexus has never stood by there cars like I think they should, I doub't they will get our money. But is it just me? Is this car like a lemon? haha I mean this car makes my first car in terms of reliability look golden, and that was a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 151,000 miles.
I think it's a lemon. Some of that just happens. It's just that it doesn't happen all the time. Alot of it comes with age, but not everything.
I'll tell you like I tell everyone. Buy whatever hoists your mast! You don't have to pleas eanyone but yourself.
Old 07-23-06, 01:09 AM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Are you the original owner? daily maintained? whats your Mileage?
Sorry to hear about all your unfortunate mishaps with the Lex. Odd the dealer would be obnoxious to there customers.
I hope the best of luck for whatever vehicle you decide.
Yep, original owner, and it has 115k miles on it about. Lots of highway driving.
Old 07-23-06, 01:10 AM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Matador
Ever consider trying a different dealer for service? It could just be a bad dealer who sold you a very mistreated car. From my experiences all you need is some regularly scheduled maintenence to be worry free with any lex.
Car had all of its regularly scheduled maintence done at the dealer.
Old 07-24-06, 03:42 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about all your problems. For what its worth, there's always a lemon made every so often even in the best of cars. My wife's es was bought new in Jan of 2000 and to date, the only problem we had was with the front turn signals. Other than that, we had the usual wear and tear items replaced like front brakes and new battery . Overall, our es300 is the best car we've ever owned.
Old 07-25-06, 06:57 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice your post that you said " Oil was changed 6000 miles ago "... even if you're running Syntec.. you should of change your oil 5000 ago.. and if you're running the regular stuff. it should of been change every 3000..... by noticing this , i think you don't take care of your car and just expect it to last forever.