ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Engine Not Idle After Install New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 07:37 AM
Dave Zorychta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Not Idle After Install New Battery

Model ES 300 (1993) with 80K miles:

Battery failed (original battery). Installed a new battery and engine starts fine. However, engine will not idle when releasing accelerator ---just dies. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know of no security feature (other than the stereo and airbag systems) that would care that the battery was disconnected.

I checked for disconnected or cut vacumn hoses, wires, etc.

I did have maintenance done a few days before the battery died: one CV boot was replaced because it was found defective during a state safety inspection.

Coincidences do happen but this is weird.

Old 10-02-01, 07:36 PM
MyLexRokZ
Driver School Candidate

Dont worry when you disconnect your battery and then reconnect it takes the ECM (computer) some time to "relearn" everything.Normal! If it doesent clear up in a day or two I'd bring it to the dealer.
Old 10-03-01, 03:54 AM
Dave Zorychta
Driver School Candidate

I could not wait for the idle to stop diving for zero RPM, so yesterday, I adjusted the idle speed to sustain 700 RPM; it works fine now. Just do not see the relationship between the battery disconnect and the idle fall.

The ECM "relearn" process should have a improvement trend, not dive for the deck.

One other thing is puzzling, the stereo system did not require recoding...it works fine. I thought the anti-theft system would lock out the radio/CD systems?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-03-01, 01:10 PM
MyLexRokZ
Driver School Candidate

You should NEVER touch the idle screw the Idle screw is set from the factory and should never be turned! The Raido is a good Question i think if you remove the raido and unplug it then you might have to recode.
Old 10-05-01, 04:34 AM
Dave Zorychta
Driver School Candidate

I did not change any jets or fuel flow, just adjusted a physical linkage between the foot accelerator and the throttle assembly. It is effectively just like me holding my foot down on the accelerator a quarter of an inch.

The radio worked fine even though the battery went dead and I replaced it; that is more of a mystery that the other quirk.

Caveman