ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Problem- NEED HELP Vacuum hose broke off

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 06:13 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem- NEED HELP Vacuum hose broke off

Here's the story. I was working on my car a couple of months ago and one of the vacuum hose broke in half because it was so dry. So naturally i replaced it but with a generic one from napa about the same size. However, the problem was that the generic hose does not have the bend like the OEM one. So fast forward a couple of months later which is now.......the vacuum hose broke off from the intake tube due to i guess vibrations and incorrect bend too much stress on it. but the generic hose did not break because i clamped it on real tight. Instead, it took the little piece of rubber hose that was attached to the big tube off. So basically it was just hanging there and yesterday i try to fix it and it just broke right off. so i threw that lil piece away and just connected the generic hose to the big tube with a lil piece of metal tube in between so i thought i can get away with sealing it with 2 part 60 sec epoxy. It worked great yesterday. Engine was not missfiring or stuttering anymore. I was so happy.

Now today, i was driving the car and it started missing again and very violently. I was like wtf. So i popped the hood and found that the epoxy had cracked and the hose was falling off again. Apparently the epoxy was not flexible enough. now I need to know what you guys recommend me to do. Buy a new intake tube? $60 from newlexusparts or just find some kind of sealant to secure it.

If i use sealant, what's the most flexible sealant i can use?

For those who dont understand what hose i'm talkin about.......here's a pic:

Here's the oem hose just for comparison (notice the special bend it has):

any advice is appreciated. thx
Old 07-31-06, 09:27 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Because of the extreme temperature variance, glues or sealents won't hold. Best to replace the intake tube as you suggested. Then, it is fixed .. no more worries
Old 08-01-06, 04:15 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just afraid if i get a new Intake tube......my generic vacuum hose might rip that lil rubber piece off the OEM tube again.

And i cant find an OEM vacuum hose online..............i dunt wanna hit up the dealer cuz i know it definitely won't cost $2 like my generic one.
Old 08-02-06, 05:58 PM
draikonz
Driver

well you can do what I did...Go to a place like autozone and get a vacuum hose. Then you get some clamps and a barb that fits into your original vacuum OEM hose. Then you just connect them up together into your intake hose and kazaam...theres your solution.