ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension parts purchasing question! What? Where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06 | 11:51 PM
dkfresh
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension parts purchasing question! What? Where?

Hi.
I need to do some suspension work done and was searching the forum for what I need. I manage to piece some parts together but need help.
Ihave a 92 ES300. I was told that I need struts. So I went on Ebay and found STRUTS and STRUT CARTRIDGES(Gabriel cuz I was told it's OEM manufac), two different parts with big $ difference. What do I need? Also, I found out that upper strut mounts, bearings and bushings should be replaced as well? (Can someone please tell me WHICH busshiings need to be replaced? )Where can I get them for good price?
I feel like I am running all over the place without finding answers!
Thanks!
Old 08-14-06 | 11:57 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213808
good priced OEM parts. They also have diagrams of each part so you can see and find out what exactly you need.
Old 08-15-06 | 08:20 AM
dkfresh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link.
So do I need struts or strut cartridges?
Old 08-15-06 | 09:28 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Gabriel is cheap crap. OEM Lexus/Toyota is KYB.
What you need depends on what you want to do. The 92-october '94 ES/Camry struts are serviceable. meaning you can take them out, unscrew them & replace the gas cartridge & put them back together.
The problem is nobody is so cheap to actually do that.

Who wants to save $20-30 on real KYB cartridges VS real 95-96 sealed KYB struts.
And it's not just the struts. If you need struts. I'll bet money the springs are getting nice and worn to some degree & could use a changing. Ontop of that I'll gaurentee the strut mounts are shot. Frankly... Rubber mounts don't last *that* long LoL!

You can do what you want. But even if you're broke, its going to be a major regret if you don't save up the extra hundred, or two so you can buy real struts, and strut mounts. (And if you've ever wanted to lower you car, or give it a slightly sportier ride, that's read sportier, not harsh like a corvette. Now is the time for good springs.)
Old 08-15-06 | 12:11 PM
dkfresh
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks!

Wow, great info! Thanks.
I just checked just by looking at the suspension and rear springs are sagging. I can't even put two fingers into the gap. Rubber boots are torn badly also. Pretty much the whole suspension is shot due to high miles/years.

I am trying to find a good stock replacement setup so no super firm or lowering springs are necessary.

So you are saying I can use 95-96 KYB struts? (thinking GR2) Are the ones on eBay good enough? I plan to change strut mounts and bushings, sway bar bushings, springs, and rubber boots for the struts. Am I missing anything? I think I've read somewhere about bearings. I wish they had a list of suspension parts that need to be changed
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Gabriel is cheap crap. OEM Lexus/Toyota is KYB.
What you need depends on what you want to do. The 92-october '94 ES/Camry struts are serviceable. meaning you can take them out, unscrew them & replace the gas cartridge & put them back together.
The problem is nobody is so cheap to actually do that.

Who wants to save $20-30 on real KYB cartridges VS real 95-96 sealed KYB struts.
And it's not just the struts. If you need struts. I'll bet money the springs are getting nice and worn to some degree & could use a changing. Ontop of that I'll gaurentee the strut mounts are shot. Frankly... Rubber mounts don't last *that* long LoL!

You can do what you want. But even if you're broke, its going to be a major regret if you don't save up the extra hundred, or two so you can buy real struts, and strut mounts. (And if you've ever wanted to lower you car, or give it a slightly sportier ride, that's read sportier, not harsh like a corvette. Now is the time for good springs.)
Old 08-15-06 | 12:54 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Hmmm I have the same issue although it's not terribly urgent. My rear struts and shocks gotta be replaced since its sagging a little bit, not much. Dealer quotes $1100........sound excessive? Is this something a good mechanic cant do himself?
Old 08-15-06 | 12:58 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Na, strut bearings are good.
What do you have in your trunk? If you've got a pair of subs, it'll normally push the old springs down to a descent looking 2 finger gap.

Honestly, does anybody know where to get real OEM springs? I don't.

I generally just tell people to buy the low end TRD lowering springs. (Rebadged Eibach)

The 92-96 normal springs only drop like 1.1" front and rear. You can't even notice that. (Stil way too high in the air). and the ride honestly doesn't change a whole ton (compaired to brand new oem springs, compaired to old springs its a ton). To me, that really doesn't even drive as stiff as a new maxima, or accord. So I consider that tolerable.
The 96-01 springs are only 1.2".

'02+ is where they finally dropped the low end springs.
02-04 is a 2" / 1.2" drop
04-05 is a 1.6" drop.

The eibach pro kits are more.
Old 08-15-06 | 01:54 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Honestly, does anybody know where to get real OEM springs? I don't.
I'm sure TAP auto has a grip of them, but you never know what condition they're really in... nowhere near the peace of mind that you get with new OEM parts from the dealer. However, I can gaurantee you the dealer will charge you some insane amount for those OEM springs. Like Pheonix said, the eibach's aren't what just about anyone would consider "performance" springs. If you're looking to get back that "stock" feeling, though, they'll do the trick for a lot cheaper than buying all 4 springs from the dealer.
Old 08-15-06 | 02:47 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Werd.
Ya I'm sure TAP has springs too LoL! But who wants used springs? I could go for a set if it was like... coilovers, or springs off a car only a couple of years old, but there's a big differance in new-few year old suspension parts & what they're like after around 9-10-11 years!
Peace of mind would be a big thing.
Old 08-15-06 | 04:12 PM
dkfresh
Driver School Candidate

Damn! I forgot that I have three boxes full of crap that weigh like 40 pounds each. I guess that explains the saggin, DOH!

So I should be good with KYB GR2 struts for 95-96 and Eibach springs (model name)? All I want is to get rid of the horrible suspension that I have now and I want to get it done cheap!

Btw, I had Eibach prokits on my WRX and I thought that was stiffer than I would've liked.

Na, strut bearings are good.
What do you have in your trunk? If you've got a pair of subs, it'll normally push the old springs down to a descent looking 2 finger gap.

The eibach pro kits are more.
Old 08-15-06 | 04:55 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Depending on the gen, Pro kits have more of a drop. Instead of right aound an inch, more like 1.5-1.75".
Old 08-15-06 | 05:45 PM
dkfresh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help! Iguess I have more searching to do