ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

where are some nice es's??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 05:43 AM
W. David
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Leets,

Any idea what kind of price range we're going to be looking at for Tanabe exhaust once it's out? Also, any chance we'd be able to find a vendor who would facilitate a small group buy?? I know 3 of us off hand who want it...(you, myself and smitty), so surely there are a few others.

Also, any update on timing? I'm going crazy here in Canada, it's going to start snowing soon!! (not really, but damn do I want this exhaust)

---------

Finally, I like to think my ES is looking a bit nicer these days too....still waiting for a day to get some caliper paint redone, and an exhaust system, then I'll get a real photoshoot done, but until then, I'm still happy with what the cars become....

Last edited by W. David; 08-16-06 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 07:43 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea what kind of price range we're going to be looking at for Tanabe exhaust once it's out? Also, any chance we'd be able to find a vendor who would facilitate a small group buy?? I know 3 of us off hand who want it...(you, myself and smitty), so surely there are a few others.
Yeah a group buy thing would be great. It sucks so much tryin to find parts for da ES. I was almost thinkin about getting a JP or L-Tuned muffer put on my ES till I could get the full exhaust. I'm just tired of going to meets and not having exhaust and a few other things Like my front lip.

W. David your ES is lookin good. Loving the rims.
Old 08-16-06, 09:57 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any exact figures yet, but from what I've heard it should be a rear section, which would keep costs down. The great thing about Tanabe is that all their parts are made in Japan, and the quality's just as good as any other Japanese brand, but you can still pick up an exhaust system for just a few hundred. I am positive, though, that it will be less expensive than the one I currently have on my car.

For those of you who are super impatient like I am, here's my suggestions:

1. Get the system I have. It's not cheap, but it is super-rare JDM VIP hotness. It's rated at 87dB, and is super heavy, but (at least in my opinion) it is a really nice system.

2. Get a universal Magnaflow muffler and have your local exhaust shop weld it on. You can find Magnaflows for really cheap (especially if you pm me for info ) and they are really high quality mufflers. You should be able to get the muffler and have it installed for well under $200, depending on which model you get and who installs it. Just keep it clean and you should be easily able to turn around and sell it to someone in the Solara/Camry crowd for a good portion of what you originally paid. That way it's kind of like renting the system until the Tanabe one is released.

Of course, I'd recommend holding out for the Tanabe system, but if you just can't wait I do understand. Just know I'll be more than happy to hook up all my ES family with a great deal on that system when it's released.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an authorized CL vendor or sponsor so your business should go to those businesses first. I don't make any money on any "hook-ups" I give ... it's all out of my love of the game. )
Old 08-16-06, 11:36 AM
W. David
Pole Position

Thanks Smitty.....I appreciate it. Your car isn't looking too bad either. Big props to finding a tasteful chrome wheel (I don't usually like chrome on the ES....too much bling factor I find), and 10K HIDS!!! I gotta get to those one day too...good job

Leets - I'm obviously going to wait for the Tanabe, but damn, when I heard they were researching it back in February, I didn't think I'd be waiting this long! Am I being optimistic to see it before the end of September??

Last edited by W. David; 08-16-06 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 02:26 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

thanks leets. how loud is the magnaflow exhaust? my brother has the tanabe touring medallion on his GS and i like how quiet it is until you put the pedal to the ground, then it sounds really nice.

david, those lsportlines look hot on your car!
Old 08-16-06, 03:40 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

I'd jump in on the GB for the Tanabe exhaust as well.
GB on eyelids anyone??
Old 08-16-06, 04:07 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by W. David
Leets - I'm obviously going to wait for the Tanabe, but damn, when I heard they were researching it back in February, I didn't think I'd be waiting this long! Am I being optimistic to see it before the end of September??
Well, the main problem at first was that the system they originally designed didn't fit on my car. Apparently Toyota felt the need to change the exhaust system when they changed to VVTI. They had to take some measurements and go back to Japan to create a new design. I was told that they just missed the deadline for testing the last time the Japanese engineers came to the US so hopefully it'll be ready after they come back again. I'm not gonna commit to a date, but if there are no other set-backs it should be available to everyone within the next few months. I'm going crazy waiting for the system, too, but it is nice to know that Tanabe's being super **** about making sure the system is perfect before they release it to the public. I'd rather wait for quality than get junk tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ChrisES
how loud is the magnaflow exhaust? my brother has the tanabe touring medallion on his GS and i like how quiet it is until you put the pedal to the ground, then it sounds really nice.
The Magnaflow is a straight-thru design, but it is still pretty quiet. With universal exhausts the noise level can vary according to what else is in front of the muffler. If you were to keep the stock piping and just replace the muffler then you should get a nice quiet idle with a bit louder, nicer tone on-throttle. It'll be noticeably louder than stock, but nothing that'll be annoying or illegal.
Old 08-16-06, 05:39 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

I'd jump in on the GB for the Tanabe exhaust as well.
GB on eyelids anyone??
I need some eyelids bad. There's alot of parts i need bad.
Old 08-16-06, 08:44 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
There's alot of parts i need bad.
That's cuz you're just a show-off.
Old 08-17-06, 03:12 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Leets
That's cuz you're just a show-off.
Thats cuz you wont let anyone catch up first.
Old 08-30-06, 11:16 AM
LexOnDubz
Rookie

Originally Posted by W. David
Thanks Smitty.....I appreciate it. Your car isn't looking too bad either. Big props to finding a tasteful chrome wheel (I don't usually like chrome on the ES....too much bling factor I find), and 10K HIDS!!! I gotta get to those one day too...good job
Chrome on the ES is just what the doctor ordered
Old 08-30-06, 01:37 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

L sportlines look awsome, I am lookin at the privat kraftwerk wheels, look reaal nice