ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 Anti-theft stereo code question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 08:56 AM
BigRig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ES300 Anti-theft stereo code question

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I just got my 99 ES300 a month ago (from a private seller) and things have been great. Someone just got me a DICE ipod interface for a gift which means I have to disconnect my battery and my stereo (i have the factory changer in my glove box) to install it. My tape deck has the anti-theft warning on it and all of my reading has led me to believe that when I disconnect the battery the radio is is gonna lock up on re-connect. I could not find a code in my owners manual. Some people talking about different Lexus models have said there is a way to detect if the anti-theft lock is 'enabled' or not. If my model has that feature that would help alot. When I called the dealer the service guy only said that they have a code and they couldn't give it to me, I just had to come in to get it reset for 100 bucks. Obviously that is not the route I'd like to go since I haven't touched the radio and everything works fine right now. I was hoping someone had been down this road before and could offer any help at all.
Old 08-22-06, 12:57 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRig
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I just got my 99 ES300 a month ago (from a private seller) and things have been great. Someone just got me a DICE ipod interface for a gift which means I have to disconnect my battery and my stereo (i have the factory changer in my glove box) to install it. My tape deck has the anti-theft warning on it and all of my reading has led me to believe that when I disconnect the battery the radio is is gonna lock up on re-connect. I could not find a code in my owners manual. Some people talking about different Lexus models have said there is a way to detect if the anti-theft lock is 'enabled' or not. If my model has that feature that would help alot. When I called the dealer the service guy only said that they have a code and they couldn't give it to me, I just had to come in to get it reset for 100 bucks. Obviously that is not the route I'd like to go since I haven't touched the radio and everything works fine right now. I was hoping someone had been down this road before and could offer any help at all.
My ES300 is a little older than yours so maybe things have changed in 6 years but, on my stock Lexus head unit there is a small rectangular red LED on the face of the unit that continually flashes (if the car is off) when the stereo's anti-theft is enabled. Also, when the car is turned on "SEC" appears in the LCD display for a few seconds to indicate that the security system is enabled. In my case, it is true that after the battery has been disconnected (if the anti-theft system was enabled at the time) the stereo will no longer function until the code is entered.
What puzzles me about your post is that you say the dealership has a code for your car but they won't give it to you??? What's up with that?

Oh and......Welcome to Club Lexus!

Last edited by Lexucan; 08-22-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 06:48 PM
BigRig
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply! I definitely have the flashing light when the car is off but not the SEC on my LCD display at any time. I was suprised myself by the answer from the dealer, since a few weeks ago I got the 65,000 mile check up there and sevice was excellent (not to mention the 06 GS300 loaner i had for the weekend). To be honest, I had to explain my simple question three times to a guy who did not sound like he was having a great day. Tommorrow I'm gonna call again and try to talk to someone else. I know there's a way to do this.
Old 08-23-06, 03:58 PM
99es300
Rookie

Question- How does this DICE thing work? Can you still use your CD player?
Old 08-24-06, 08:02 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by BigRig
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply! I definitely have the flashing light when the car is off but not the SEC on my LCD display at any time. I was suprised myself by the answer from the dealer, since a few weeks ago I got the 65,000 mile check up there and sevice was excellent (not to mention the 06 GS300 loaner i had for the weekend). To be honest, I had to explain my simple question three times to a guy who did not sound like he was having a great day. Tommorrow I'm gonna call again and try to talk to someone else. I know there's a way to do this.
It sounds to me like the first guy you talked to is attempting to hold your stereo system for ransom until you cough up the money for the system reset. Not a smart way to bring in and retain new service customers, I'd say. I would definitely speak to someone else (preferrably his boss) and explain that unless you are given assistance regarding the stereo system (i.e. the security code that the first guy refused to devulge to you, or a free system reset), you will be taking your service business elsewhere. At least, that's what I would do. And I would visit them in person, not call them on the phone. It is not so easy to dismiss someone when they are looking you in the face. The only scenario I can envision in which they could have a legitimate reason for not giving you the code is if they suspected that the car or the stereo system was stolen. Otherwise, they are just being jerks about it.
Another thing you might try is to casually mention that you read about their dealership on Club Lexus, of which you are a member. And that positive AND NEGATIVE feedback about specific lexus dealerships spreads very rapidly throughout the Club forums and to its tens of thousands of members. Such knowledge just might help nudge them into taking the high road, if you know what I mean. ......Good luck!

P.S. yeah, tell us more about this DICE iPod interface...it sounds cool!
Old 08-26-06, 08:51 AM
BigRig
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input Lexucan, I just read your post but yesterday I actually solved my problem. I had some time before work, so I went to the dealership and asked the guy at the counter. The other service guy he was talking to intercepted my question and said don't worry it won't lock up. I told him about the Anti-theft badge on the tape deck and he said they all say that, but only models earlier than mine (i.e. your 93 ES) will lock up if you disconnect the battery. This took about three seconds and I learned a lesson about how to approach dealerships.
About the DICE interface....this was an idea my friend saw me looking at and suprised me for my birthday. Unfortunately she thought I had a 2000 ES, and the compatibility for the module is for 2000-06. I just tried to hook it up anyway but it didn't go for me. But if anyone has the right car, it's a really cool product. It lets you keep your factory stereo and uses the text display to navigate your ipod. It hooks up through your changer input so the sound quality is capable of being CD-quality. You can still use your changer, and still use your ipod to navigate through your music if you want (it has a switch that gives you the option). It also charges your ipod. It's about $160 though, but worth it if you like your original stereo and love your ipod. It took me no time to hook it up (the wires fit but the CPUs won't interface), I used the DIY thread I found in this forum and it was alot of help (thank lexusk8!) But it looks like I'm back to the drawing board.
Old 08-26-06, 09:05 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Well, glad to hear that you got the "will it or won't it lock up" issue resolved.
And sorry to hear that your DICE iPod gadget won't work on your car. It sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the explanation of what it is and how it works. I guess I won't be ordering one for mine

P.S. I know the previous owner of my car personally, so I was able to get the security code for the stereo from him.....saved me a lot of potential hassle. And I DO like the stock stereo. A lot of guys swap it for an aftermarket unit as soon as they buy the car, but I see and hear nothing wrong with mine. And in my opinion, sticking an aftermarket head unit in there just looks bad....but to each his own, as they say.

Last edited by Lexucan; 08-26-06 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-26-06, 09:21 AM
copy252
Driver

wheres this DIY yur talking about? searched and didnt find it
Old 08-26-06, 09:32 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by copy252
wheres this DIY yur talking about? searched and didnt find it
I think this is probably the DIY he was referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong, BigRig.

http://users.adelphia.net/~talmeida/...io_Removal.pdf