ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What tires do you have

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 09:13 AM
Ejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires do you have

I'm looking to buy a set of new tires for my 98 ES300. I want some that will be quiet give a good ride and also do a pretty good job in the snow. I need 205/60/16's. Tell me what you have and if you would buy them again. If you want, tell why you bought them.

Thanks
Ejoe
Old 08-23-06, 10:06 AM
Plum
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also living in an area that gets snow I did a lot of looking before deciding
on tires for my ES. I ended up with Nokian WR and have been very happy with them. They are "all season" tire but designed to do very well in snow.
I purchased them last Nov. and they did great the few times I had to drive in snow. (not the snowiest of winters).
They are great in rain and dry traction is also good.
No affiliation but I would buy these again even though they are pricey.
They are not sold everywhere but their website provides dealer information.
Good luck.
Old 08-24-06, 11:51 AM
Ejoe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I checked and I don't think anyone sells the Nokian tires around me. Still not sure what I will end up buying. Maybe Cooper Lifeliner SLE's. They are fairly resonable and supposed to be quiet and not too bad in the snow.

Thanks
Ejoe
Old 08-24-06, 11:58 AM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bridgestone LS-V

Expensive, but a very good tire. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 08-24-06, 07:36 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the following in 16" on my ES:
1. Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (came stock)...worst tire I have ever had. Very very quiet but no traction whatsoever in rain and snow, even a dusting of snow.
2. Dunlop Sport A2..nice tire, excellent water/rain traction and moderate snow traction even in the deep stuff. However, this tire became very noisy at 15,000miles.

3. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: The absolute best tire I have ever had on any car I have owned. Ultra quiet, excellent traction on dry and wet. Snow traction is to be seen this winter. Reasonably priced and long rated tread life.
Check them out.

steviej
Old 08-24-06, 08:21 PM
diamondlex
Driver School Candidate

I got the Perelli P-Zero Nero M&S (which stands for mud and snow...) in 215/45/18 on my 94 es300. They got everything your looking for plus they look pretty good and you're getting a good name at a decent price. I'm not sure if they come in the size you're lookin for but you should check em out.
Old 08-24-06, 08:58 PM
AHanson7
Driver School Candidate

I have Bridgestone Potenze G009s on my ES. Great traction in all conditions, but steering feedback isn't as good as I'd like (even if they are 15s). Very, very quiet and smooth...phenominal in rain. I'd definitely recommend these on the stock wheels.

As I mentioned, the steering feedback isn't great, but I'd give it a B+. Initial turn-in is a little soft, and that's my main complaint. After that, the grip is great.
Old 08-24-06, 10:05 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

as my sig states. i run pirelli pzero on my 18x7.5 wheels in the summer. Superb traction. in the winter i run my stock wheels and the dunlop m3 sports. Truely an incredible tire. in colorado driving from colorado springs to denver in the winter on I-25 is a true test for any cars traction especially over one stretch called monument hill. Last winter i was the only car on the road during a large blizzard. and i did just fine. Very confident feel to the car. and also quiet during the dry times.
Old 08-25-06, 07:07 PM
pkchin
Driver

I've had Bridgestone LS-V's, great tires. Just replaced with Bridgestone 960AS (pole poaition), feels solid in rain and pretty close to the LS-V but less expensive.
Old 08-25-06, 08:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

since the original post asked for suggestions on 16" tires, I only posted those.

However, in keeping with the direction of the thread here are my 18" tires that have been on the ES. (235/40-18 to be exact.)

Toyo FZ-4s: total crap. Thank God Toyo does not make them anymore. Poor traction all round, they broke traction easily and by 15k miles they sounded like an 18 wheeler.

Currently running 235/40ZR-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. What an awesome summer tire. Great rain and dry traction. Absolutely total quiet and smoothness, almost the same as the Exaltos mentioned earlier. A bit pricey, but so far worth every penny.

steviej
Old 08-26-06, 02:20 PM
Ejoe
Driver School Candidate

One thing I'm finding out about tires is that for every tire out there you can find people that love them and people that hate them. I guess what I'm thinking of doing is buying the one that more people love than hate and see how I like it. According to Tire Racks reviews the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred, Goodyear Assurance ConforTred or the Michelin Harmony look like tires I could live with. I'm 60 yrs old and retired so I'm not in any hurry to get anyplace anymore so I don't need a high performance tire, just one that rides nice is quiet and goes pretty good in the snow. Looks like any of these tires will fit the bill. Thanks for all the input.

Ejoe