ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

90000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 09:49 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 90000 mile service

hey all, for the owners that had their 30-60-90k miles service done already, would you recommend letting the dealer do the job or somewhere else thats cheaper? i have a 96' ES300. thanks
Old 09-01-06, 10:05 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
hey all, for the owners that had their 30-60-90k miles service done already, would you recommend letting the dealer do the job or somewhere else thats cheaper? i have a 96' ES300. thanks
If you can...get it done somewhere else...You'll save tons of $$$.
The 90K service usually involves the timing belt and oil change. If you can find a good shop specializing in imports or a good mechanic that's willing to do the work on the side for you, buy your parts online then take them over to him/her and have them work on it for you.

Look at the Lexus manual to find out all that's involved then buy your timing belt and tensioner and idler together. If you want, you can also grab a water pump since everyone suggests you should swap that out since its right there in the engine and exposed when they open the area up to service your timing belt.
Old 09-02-06, 02:49 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

anyone else got their 90k service done?
Old 09-02-06, 08:40 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm about to get mine done next month along with the Weapon R intake (unless you know a better one). I have a Toyota mechanic that'll do both under 500.00 as long as I bring him the parts. Look around. you'll save. I think Lexus wants like double that for the timing belt alone
Old 09-02-06, 09:08 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is a local Toyota dealer who is willing to service your Lexus, have them do the tasks. They have the expertise and tools for bleeding the brakes, servicing the automatic transmission and power steering. They also carry the correct coolant and air filters.

Timing belt, small parts, water pump, idlers and spark plugs are available as Toyota OEM parts.
Old 09-02-06, 09:19 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
If there is a local Toyota dealer who is willing to service your Lexus, have them do the tasks. They have the expertise and tools for bleeding the brakes, servicing the automatic transmission and power steering. They also carry the correct coolant and air filters.

Timing belt, small parts, water pump, idlers and spark plugs are available as Toyota OEM parts.
oh crap, speaking of right coolants, my dad had his service done at some tire shop, they replaced the coolant also, what if its the wrong coolant or what is the right coolant? will it cause any damage? anything else Lexus requires a certain type(fluids)?
Old 09-02-06, 09:23 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the 90K service on two separate occasions, one for my '96 Coach Edition and one for my '01. The service included TB change, all fluids change, some minor tweaks, rear main seal fix (common problem on high mileage ES). Never needed a water pump replaced even though I got that inspected. I got both 90K service done at a Lexus dealership. The one for the '96 costed me around $2,200; and the other one for the '01 only costed me $1,100 since I got some prior work done like oil filter change, air filter, etc.
Old 09-02-06, 09:33 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I did the 90K service on two separate occasions, one for my '96 Coach Edition and one for my '01. The service included TB change, all fluids change, some minor tweaks, rear main seal fix (common problem on high mileage ES). Never needed a water pump replaced even though I got that inspected. I got both 90K service done at a Lexus dealership. The one for the '96 costed me around $2,200; and the other one for the '01 only costed me $1,100 since I got some prior work done like oil filter change, air filter, etc.
did they charge you extra for the rear main seal, or is it included?
Old 09-02-06, 09:48 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Your ES was originally equipped with the Toyota "red" long life coolant and distilled water mix. It should be exchanged every three years or 30K mile intervals.

Your owners manual states ethylene-glycol type coolant. It may be green, red or pink. Toyota used green with an iron block; red with aluminum block and pink in aluminum block starting with 2005 models. The premixed pink (add no water) is backward compatable with the earlier red type, but not the green.
Old 09-02-06, 10:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Your ES was originally equipped with the Toyota "red" long life coolant and distilled water mix. It should be exchanged every three years or 30K mile intervals.

Your owners manual states ethylene-glycol type coolant. It may be green, red or pink. Toyota used green with an iron block; red with aluminum block and pink in aluminum block starting with 2005 models. The premixed pink (add no water) is backward compatable with the earlier red type, but not the green.
he drives a 2001 LX470 and sorry i have absolutely no clue what you meant!explain if he need to get it redone or is it good for the 30000 miles
Old 09-03-06, 06:36 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait uh, so is it okay if I put in a green mix I buy from Autozone (it's Prestone pre-mixed 50/50) with the red stuff the dealer I put in? My radiator leaks a bit and I have to top the coolant off once in awhile.
Old 09-03-06, 07:06 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
did they charge you extra for the rear main seal, or is it included?
The rear main seal was charged separately from the 90K service. Can't recall how much it was, probably in the $300 range (parts and labor).
Old 09-03-06, 07:12 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

What's to explain? Use ethylene-glycol type coolant in your Lexus, whether it is in an ES or LX. (This is the ES forum, but no matter)

No matter what the color, is the coolant of the correct type...as stated in the owners manual?

Is it good to mix different products and different types of coolant...

My suggestion is that it is not a good idea. Corrosion is more apparent in an aluminum block engine than the cast iron block engines.
Old 09-04-06, 03:55 PM
shannon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 1994 es300 which is the same as your car. i got it serviced at 80k. i got a really good deal going through a friend, if you lived in ca i'd hook you up too. the following is what i got done, all oem parts.... i might have forgot to list some things

timing belt
water pump
all fan belts
motor mounts
strut tower mounts
changed coolant and tranny fluids
oil change with syn.
platinum spark plugs
i forgot if the plug wires were changed too

$763 which is definitely on the lower end.
Old 09-04-06, 04:36 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shannon
i have a 1994 es300 which is the same as your car. i got it serviced at 80k. i got a really good deal going through a friend, if you lived in ca i'd hook you up too. the following is what i got done, all oem parts.... i might have forgot to list some things

timing belt
water pump
all fan belts
motor mounts
strut tower mounts
changed coolant and tranny fluids
oil change with syn.
platinum spark plugs
i forgot if the plug wires were changed too

$763 which is definitely on the lower end.

too bad for me i live in FLA. one more ?, i know for a fact that most 1st generation ES300 have some sort of engine oil leak(my 96' started 3+ years ago and now its pretty bad), did your mechanic recommend anything or did he/she mention anything about the oil would interfere with the belts

Quick Reply: 90000 mile service