ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Loud Grinding Noise when trying to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06 | 12:32 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Question Loud Grinding Noise when trying to Start?

Anyone else's ES do this I have 98 if it helps. If you get into the car and start it immediately and turn the key like in a rush, the car makes a loud grinding noise in the start position? And the engine will not start, you end up hearing like this high pitch metal grinding noise till you release the key. Once I starting a car that was already running, a late model Toyota Sienna, it kind of sounds like that but a pitch a littler higher probably because the cars have different engines.

But if you stick the key and turn to the position right before the engine starts, but where all the instrument lights turn and wait maybe 3 seconds then start. Then it almost never happens.

Does anyone else's do this?

Is this normal? Or is something wrong with my 98 ES?

Thanks not to technical with cars. Could it be on the key immobilizer, I know on my Mercedes if you stick in the Smart Key and twist really fast the car will start for 1/2 second then shut off and beep. Then you need to take the key out and put it back in before it will let you try to start the car again. I don't think thats the problem with my Lexus? as when i do it on the Benz it does not make a loud grinding noise.

Thanks any thoughts would be good. Aslo price to fix. Sometimes it just happens no mattter what. Ideas?
Thanks
Old 09-02-06 | 01:37 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

my question for you is whats your rush???? if you wait that 3 sec. and the car starts with no noise or problems, then just wait that 3 sec. for the car to load whatever is necessary to perform normally. think of it this way, 3 sec. can save hundreds if you break some in the engine just because you are not patient.
Old 09-02-06 | 01:46 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

very good point and I usually wait. But when one of my friends heard the noise once and he told me the starter was going and if I don't get it fixed they will have to replace the whole starting system or wheels not sure. Also because my Toyota van has the same key as the Lexus and it does not need any waiting time. I just want to know if anyone else's ES is doing this? Or could I need to replace a part before it gets worst and costs more to replace.
Thanks
Old 09-02-06 | 02:17 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

First, is check to insure the connection wiring is tight, battery, starter and body grounds. Any one of these would also be cause of your problem. The starter motor has the highest current draw in the vehicle.

If the above conditions are clean and tight, my suspicion would be your starter is about to be in need of replacement. If so, a re-manufactured unit from Toyota or Denso would be recommended.

It's up on top, just to the left of center in the engine compartment.
Old 09-02-06 | 02:44 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

So waiting a few seconds before turning the key has nothing to do with it then? Also if this happens 1 out of 15 starts would you know how much time I have left on this starter?

Thanks
Old 09-02-06 | 04:30 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Again, insure the electrical connections are clean and tight.

If it fails more frequently, better be on the lookout for a replacement.
Old 09-02-06 | 06:01 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by integra144
the car makes a loud grinding noise in the start position? And the engine will not start, you end up hearing like this high pitch metal grinding noise till you release the key....
Is this normal? Or is something wrong with my 98 ES?
What happens is you hit a damaged tooth & the engine moves a small amount, but continues to spin. When you let off the starter, the teeth re-engange & you can normally start it on the second attempt.

The cause of damaged teeth is that the driver simply does know how to correctly crank an engine.
They turn the key to start & continue to hold it there after the engine is rotating on it's own. This chips teeth off the both the ring gear on the flexplate/flywheel, and off the starter. The only fix is to flog the primary driver. Or replace the ring gear / starter gear. Whichever is damaged.

To reiderate. The cause is the driver is holding the key in too long. This must be stopped, or eventually you'll knock afew consecutive teeth off & the engine will no longer crank.
Old 09-02-06 | 06:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Basically... Live with it until the transmission/engine needs replacing, or the ring teeth is so damaged the engine will no longer turn over.
Old 09-02-06 | 06:58 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

thank for that explanation. i do tend to hold the key to long maybe 4 seconds just to be sure the engine is started. Thanks for the tip i will stop doing that.

One thing the Japanese automakers can learn from the German and American car makers is a touch start feature.

On the ones I have driven or owned GM's Buick cars, Chrysler and Mercedes all you have to do is turn the key to the start position and let go; the car computer does the rest of the starting process. They also do not allow you to crank the engine once the engine is running. Also on Mercedes cars the vehicle computer does not allow you to crank the engine more then 3 times in a row when starting to prevent damage.

Last edited by triplecore; 09-02-06 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-02-06 | 07:40 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The japanese have been using touch start for awhile too. I don't think anyone used it in 1998. The process is the same for any car. As soon as the engine fires. Stop cranking.