ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

6 inch midrange in door swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 11:09 AM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 inch midrange in door swap?

Hey guys I used to consider myself a car audio freak but this car I have pretty much left alone minus in dash dvd, sub and aftermarket rears(powered only by deck power).
I had to replace my window regulator so I started staring at the paper 6 inch woofer in my front door and have been pondering the thought of replacing that woofer. Most likely with another midrange or possibly a 2 way. My concern is the built in hi-pass xover that is part of the the factory 3 way system will make this mod pointless. Also to find a highly effiicient two way or a decent midrange to match the system. Any suggestions? Have yall replaced just the door woofer and ran off of factory power or just aftermarket HU?
Old 09-06-06, 12:48 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by azmalu
Hey guys I used to consider myself a car audio freak but this car I have pretty much left alone minus in dash dvd, sub and aftermarket rears(powered only by deck power).
I had to replace my window regulator so I started staring at the paper 6 inch woofer in my front door and have been pondering the thought of replacing that woofer. Most likely with another midrange or possibly a 2 way. My concern is the built in hi-pass xover that is part of the the factory 3 way system will make this mod pointless. Also to find a highly effiicient two way or a decent midrange to match the system. Any suggestions? Have yall replaced just the door woofer and ran off of factory power or just aftermarket HU?
Since you do have a 94 with the 3-way component system, the door speakers are mid-bass only so the run on a low pass crossover. If you put in 2 or 3-ways then the crossover would block the higher frequencies. But this is only true if you have the stock radio/amp. Do you have an aftermarket radio in there? If so then you can install and configure whatever you want pretty much.
Old 09-06-06, 01:40 PM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

lebox i have aftermarket HU but even if I adjust settings at the HU are you saying that the inline xovers will be bypassed? Assuming I want to keep 3 way system intact any suggestionson replacement woffer off aftermarket HU power ~18rms .... www.geocities.com/azmalu/lex.html
Old 09-07-06, 06:55 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i also have a 94 es and i have an alpine cda9851 HU installed and infinity kappa 63.7i 3-way speakers in the doors, also mb quart component system in the rear deck, and it sounds fine. the only thing is that when i had the aftermarket HU installed the guys bypassed the factory amp which i think is right under the passenger seat. btw the alpine is 18w rms 50 peak, so its not bad, real good HU btw, .
Old 09-07-06, 08:23 AM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

Tru Playa you must have doen some serious mod work to fit comps in rear deck....do you have pics...Also what made you go comps in the rear and three way up front. Do you have some hardcore subs in a ported box or something? I was always a reference fan beause it didnt sound as tinny as the kappa's IMO but for some types of music it hit the spot. Especially after they started using the Plus One surrounds lot more throw out of a midrange. Yeah though the factory amp is bypassed I was thinking it didnt undo the xover settings because otherwise there is nothing on my HU that would keep my mids on the dash and tweets from not blowing(by receiving all freq. etc)
Old 09-08-06, 07:40 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Tru Playa you must have doen some serious mod work to fit comps in rear deck....do you have pics...Also what made you go comps in the rear and three way up front. Do you have some hardcore subs in a ported box or something? I was always a reference fan beause it didnt sound as tinny as the kappa's IMO but for some types of music it hit the spot. Especially after they started using the Plus One surrounds lot more throw out of a midrange. Yeah though the factory amp is bypassed I was thinking it didnt undo the xover settings because otherwise there is nothing on my HU that would keep my mids on the dash and tweets from not blowing(by receiving all freq. etc)
Well the comps in the back are MB quart reference but i wanted to make sure i had real clear sound up front instead of more bass, and the infinitys are REAL clear even at really high volumes. im also goin to be putting in an infinity reference 7541a amp for the inside speakers probobly this weekend. then for the subs, i dont have them yet, in the process of buying them, but im going to be getting 2 12" kicker L7 solo baric subs with at least a 1000 watt mono amp, maybe 2 dunno yet, depends how loud it is with just one, lol. and no there wasnt too much work involved in putting the comps in the rear deck, i took it to smart sounds and payed $35. i saw how they did it, they went through the trunk, unscrewed the deck, took it out, took the stock speakers out, and placed the new ones in their place, i made sure they were the same size, it was a perfect fit, 6x9". i have pics here: http://my.prostreetonline.com/member/truplaya26/ (dont pay attention to where isaid the xovers are mini tweeters, i put that by accident, lol . and the clarions are wut i used to have in the front doors before being replaced with the infinitys, ill update pics soon. I also have pics here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2401731 pics have accurate descriptions there, again ignore the clarions, lol.
Old 09-08-06, 08:20 AM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

Okay 2 l7 Justify putting in comps...that sht will be loud....Just a suggestion bp1200 if you can find one is a beast and inexpensive... the lanzar vibes if you can find one is also not bad...I live in arizona and was hungover a little bit from the night before and when i started taking the deck apart in the garage i was getting lightheaded so I just gave up and paid like 4o bucks to a shop..totally worth it...also my mistake I was assuming the the comps were 6.5 not 6x9....shoulda looked up model number...If I had 4 chan amp I would get something like that in a heartbeat...love mb quart sound how much did you drop on those rears?
Old 09-20-06, 10:41 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

The rears ended up costing me about $240 or so shipped at www.woofersetc.com but i used a lil trick to save more money. at www.cardomain.com they have a 105% lowest price policy, so i showed them that woofers etc had the same ones for WAY cheaper and they matched their price plus 5% off so i saved a lot. they used to be $349.95 and have now been dropped to $244.98. but at woofers they sell for $229.99, so just report the price to car domain and save an additional $20-$30. lol, so all in all i saved over $100 and got some bad *** speakers. did the same with the front door speakers, saved about $100.
Old 09-20-06, 10:44 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

also, at www.crutchfield.com they have a feature where you can tell them what car model and year you have and they will tell you what parts will fit in it. whether they will fit perfectly, or whether they will need little to major mods. that not only goes for speakers, but for all other parts they sell as well. i dont buy from them tho, too expensive.
Old 09-20-06, 01:20 PM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

yeah crutchfield will list very few things that require modding...they are pretty by the book..i still get there catalogs to get an idea of whats out there..
i get a kick out of messing with car audio shop guys...i have a need to memorize useless info like model numbers rms wattage etc...so anytime one of them quotes something they made up...i throw it in there face ask them to bust a catalog out bet em lunch the list goes on i call it cheap entertainment...
Tom at mr alternator has had his site up for years ...every car i have had ive gone through at least one alt... 85 volvo 740 and 94 maxima and 94 es3000 so i always contemplate sending it out but dont have the luxury of a 2nd car. .
but without a doubt the highlander alt at 130 is the simplest way to do it..only thing is all local shops had to special order and checker and bap wre the only two who could even do that autozone and napa coudnt even do that...im still debating about just throwing in some midrange replacements from partsexpress and leavin leaving the 3 way system alone...

tru playa if you are still running your midrange on dash and tweet in door what is your power source for those...also did you have to build a custom xover?
Old 09-20-06, 02:30 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

lebox i have aftermarket HU but even if I adjust settings at the HU are you saying that the inline xovers will be bypassed? Assuming I want to keep 3 way system intact any suggestionson replacement woffer off aftermarket HU power ~18rms .... www.geocities.com/azmalu/lex.html
Crossover points are handled by the amp. If I remember right the tweeter does have one in-line with the speaker wire but none of the others do because again...it was handled by the amp. If you have an aftmerket radio then it should not be of any concern.
Old 09-20-06, 06:35 PM
azmalu
Driver School Candidate

well the thing is since that oxover remains when you install a midranger 3 way (like you did) i dont think the HU will override those in line xovers? or am i wrong...?
Old 09-21-06, 08:40 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

tru playa if you are still running your midrange on dash and tweet in door what is your power source for those...also did you have to build a custom xover?

Yea they are still working but honestly im not sure how they are being powered because the only thing i installed myself were the door speakers. the rear deck speakers with xovers were installed by smart sounds and they also installed my HU. They bypassed the stock amp so im guessin evrything is running off of the HU's internal amp. if not then i have no clue , i should ask them though, lol.