ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need to disable airbags

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 12:33 AM
Mr. Mc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to disable airbags

I have just learned that if you are in the car and the airbag goes off, you will suffer a massive hearing loss.(search google, its everywhere) Another reason to disable airbags on top of making you lose 50% of your hearing, they will go off at nothing 20mph accidents and cause injury. I need to disable the airbags, I heard you can unplug the powercable from them.

I have a '96 es300, I like my hearing, and I would rather get more injured in an accident than have the hearing of a 80 yr. old man.
Old 09-08-06, 12:50 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

I had airbags go off and I never lost any hearing. My friend had his go off he hasn't lost any hearing nor did the other 2 passengers. My mother's friend had her's go off and she lost no hearing but she did need some plastic surgery on her nose from thrusting forward and scraping the tip of her nose to almost flat on the airbag. Imagine, if she hits the airbag that hard to scrape her nose what she would have looked like with no air bag.

Google masturbation, and I am sure you will find that it leads to blindness. So stop doing that too! Don't believe everything you google man.
Old 09-08-06, 01:04 AM
Mr. Mc
Driver School Candidate

Tell that to these 10+ people that complain of huge hearing loss form their airbag.
http://www.hearinglossweb.com/discus...st1920060108pm

And also considering airbags make a sound of 170 decibels, and 140 can make you deaf in miliseconds.

I really dont think you and your firends had a hearing checkup before and after the accident. You probablly forgot how good your hearing was before.
Old 09-08-06, 02:18 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm lets see......... disable airbags and risk being in a bad accident and becoming one with the windshield, and steering column, or believing you'll have hearing loss after being in an accident, but living to tell about it.
Old 09-08-06, 03:15 AM
Mr. Mc
Driver School Candidate

Airbags mostly only help if you do not wear a seatbelt. If your seatbelt is tight enough to stop your face from ever hitting the steraing wheel, you are fine.

Airbags can actually seriously injure you in accidents that would not hurt you.(like 30mph acidents)
Old 09-08-06, 05:21 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, from my recent experience with the wrecked ES, my airbag went off, and I was wearing my seatbelt, but my face still slammed into the bag; however it's like hitting a pillow. No damage to the face and no hearing loss, but the strong odor emitted from the deployment of the airbag is just awful. Nonetheless, I came out alright.
Old 09-08-06, 05:51 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm told it's like a .410 shotgun shell going off.
Old 09-08-06, 06:12 AM
copy252
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Well, from my recent experience with the wrecked ES, my airbag went off, and I was wearing my seatbelt, but my face still slammed into the bag; however it's like hitting a pillow. No damage to the face and no hearing loss, but the strong odor emitted from the deployment of the airbag is just awful. Nonetheless, I came out alright.
CO SIGNS!!!
2002 march 18th, i was going down a winding road loacated in south eastern CT and it was snowing, then stopping... warming up a bit, then getting cold and snowing more..... in that order for HOURS! i was going about 45-50 in a 35 (yeah... stupid i know) in a 1995 Infiniti J-30 when OOPS! i hit back ice and go flying off the road down a 30 foot decline off the road into trees, rolling about 15 times HOOD OVER TAIL! air bags went off (to say the least) and i was FINE! i broke my collar bone and my pinky! THATS IT! no hearing loss, no face surgery, NOTHING! im gonna try to remember to post a pic of the **** pit and frame (that was in my lap) and you tell me if you would want an air bag or not....
Old 09-08-06, 01:21 PM
LexusYYZ
Driver School Candidate

Mr. Mc, You seriously need to lay off the propaganda and read a real car safety report.
Old 09-08-06, 02:12 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

when you crash into something that causes the airbag to go off, it would make a loud noise itself, as a result the sound of the airbag might not be the sole purpose of the ringing in the ears. as a medical student i know for a fact that when someone experiences severe head shaking or whip lash like going through an accident, the part of your ear that is responsible for balance is disturbed. that would cause more damage than the noise it self and probabely thats the cause. all i know is i rather be half deaf than smashing my head on the glass or steering wheel
Old 09-08-06, 03:38 PM
Specter
Driver

Disabling air bags dumb move...

I would rather have ringing ears than no teeth.

I would also think that anybody that does help you disable the bags either here on the net or your local mechanic could be held liable for injuries.

Come to think about it... do it. You could be a finalist for the Darwin Award.

Specter.
Old 09-08-06, 04:58 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Frankly, this is news to me. I didn't know you the possibility of hearing loss and as high as 168SPL!! - that's painful.
I feel sorry for these folks living with the constant ringing and pain.
I wonder if they will make advancements in airbag technology to reduce the likelihood of hearing damage.
Old 09-09-06, 05:05 AM
Mr. Mc
Driver School Candidate

Again 90% of accidents you would be fine if you are wearing a seatbelt with no airbag. Its the 10% very high speed ones that you need the airbag.

Another thread with more people posting that it is a fact that the airbag caused the hearing loss. Accidents that would of left them totally unharmed if the airbag didnt deploy.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

http://www.hearinglossweb.com/discus...ry2220060249am
Old 09-09-06, 06:28 AM
copy252
Driver

whats that u said? i cant hear you? and its not from my airbags.... its from stupidity what i dont get is that ive been in MANY car accidents (only one with me driving) and about 3 air bag deployments.... never had ringing in my ears, it did smell like the air was going to blow up tho. in any case, im on the side of EVERYONE here.... id rather not beable to hear ANYTHING ever again than to lose my life cause i was STUPID and had someone cut my air bags.

Last edited by copy252; 09-09-06 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 07:39 PM
Mr. Mc
Driver School Candidate

Life is not worth living without your hearing.

Quick Reply: Need to disable airbags