ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Another sc430 wheel member!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06 | 07:16 PM
shannon
Driver School Candidate

Talking Another sc430 wheel member!

**updated with pics**
i finally got the chance to have my lowering springs installed and wheels mounted/balanced.

before:

after:

i've been lurking around the forum for at least 2 months now when i picked up my 1994 es300. thanks to everyone here i've aquired almost all the information needed to answer questions that i had about my car.

without spending too much money on wheels and tires, i thought the sc430 wheels looked great on this car even though it's about 50/50 well recieved by the community. i really wanted to just keep this car stock since i have a ae86 that has a less than friendly daily driver suspension -- but how could i resist on fixing up a wonderful car like this??

anyway here are some pictures of the wheels i just got in the mail today! total i paid $380 with shipping from the ATL. too bad i didn't live locally, i could have picked them up for $250!! all in all i think i got a great deal given the condition they are in. hopefully they will be on sometime next week.

here they are after a nice cleaning!

unfortunately one hub cap was cracked so i just took it off. i have a newer set coming in the mail.

i also picked up some vogtland lowering springs for $180 shipped. they offer a 1.4 - 1.5 inch drop. i was gonna go with h&r or b&g but i wanted something a little lower than what the aforementioned offered. i researched a lot and read well recieved reviews for these springs so i will let you guys know how they are!

here is one review if you're interested.....
http://www.yellowmustangregistry.com/vogtland.html

oh yeah! here is my ae86. custom short stroke set up with welded ground control coilovers. 6.5 kg/mm eibach in the front and trd japan 5.1 kg/mm spring rate in the rear. ss tokico hts adjustable dampers all around.

Last edited by shannon; 09-19-06 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-11-06 | 07:50 PM
chrispy

hot ae86! any pics of your es? welcome to the club.
Old 09-11-06 | 08:02 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Hot wheels man. I need some. What size are those?
Old 09-11-06 | 08:44 PM
Mr.Pink86
Rookie

Default Welcome

nice corolla, do any drifting?
Old 09-11-06 | 09:00 PM
shannon
Driver School Candidate

hey guys! thanks for the warm welcome!

no pictures of my es yet, but i'm planning on updating next week when the springs and tires are on. before and after of course.

the wheel size is 18x8 and i will put a 3mm spacer in the back.

my plan was to get another car as a daily driver so i couldn't do it. now that i have my es i can! so to answer your question, i will be taking her to the track late december, early january and hopefully to some drift days in the near future. i need a new lsd. =( $$$$
Old 09-19-06 | 04:31 PM
shannon
Driver School Candidate

bump for new pictures!
Old 09-19-06 | 07:09 PM
chrispy

wow that looks great!

your car would look great with some cleared tail lights and corners. just a suggestion.
Old 09-19-06 | 08:35 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, your new car is hot, old car is gorgeous. mkIV wheels?
and those sa-3r's? look pretty dope in that shop as well.
the more and more i see es' with sc wheels, the more i wanna get em.
congrats,
Charley
Old 09-19-06 | 11:43 PM
shannon
Driver School Candidate

a little update on my suspension.

i found out that my rear shocks are dead so they need to be replaced soon. the weird thing was, i had one non rebuildable shock on the drivers side and one rebuildable strut!! i'm planning on getting some gabriel sealed/non rebuildable shocks to replace both.

my ride home was rather bumpy but i figured it was the highway. i took a different highway later on and was pleasantly surprised how well and smooth these springs feel in comparison to stock. of course i do feel more bumps here and there but it's totally worth the trade off. the car handles much better on turns. it's great.

i was rubbing with all 4 stock tires + spare in the rear on bigger bumps on the way home. i figure once i install new shocks i should be okay without major rubbing issues.

chris: i'm planning on doing my clear corner project when i have some time. i agree that it'll look better!

charley: i think you should get some sc430 wheels too! i've gotten a lot of mixed feedback from other people who aren't familiar with our cars. but i did it because i thought it looked great, as well as many on the forums here!

the wheels i have on my 86 are made by ssr called star sharks. i wish i could get my hands on some mkIII's!!

Last edited by shannon; 09-19-06 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-19-06 | 11:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

nice!!

You plan on getting shocks/struts to compliment the lowering springs??

Tint the windows and you will be set(IMO).

Good luck.
Old 09-20-06 | 12:05 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by charley240
yeah, your new car is hot, old car is gorgeous. mkIV wheels?
and those sa-3r's? look pretty dope in that shop as well.
the more and more i see es' with sc wheels, the more i wanna get em.
congrats,
Charley
how much and where did you get your OEM HIDs from? i'm debating whether or not i should do a retrofit or get the OEM ones. nice tails too, how much did those run? i've seen them at $500 at the cheapest but they look so great. join the sc430 wheel club! they're really cheap because the SC guys don't like them.
Old 09-20-06 | 03:34 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

how much and where did you get your OEM HIDs from? i'm debating whether or not i should do a retrofit or get the OEM ones. nice tails too, how much did those run? i've seen them at $500 at the cheapest but they look so great. join the sc430 wheel club! they're really cheap because the SC guys don't like them.

i got hids and tails off ebay. the seller had them in almost mint condition.
when i got the hids though, he offered it as a package or just the light units with no ballast caps, or bulbs. so i got em for 600 for the package, because goodluck on piecing together things, as youll probably end up spending more.
but, all in all, if i was to go to hid from stock, id honestly go projector hids. es hids are much better than standard halogens, but in my opinion not as good as other nonprojector hid equipped cars.
and as the wheels go, i really plan on going for 19's dished wheels, but it will cost a lot of money and i havent seen anyone go with 9" width wheels all around. i want wide, with streched tire, and fender flush like my previous 240sx.
Charley
btw, taillight prices on average id say is about right $500. i got mine for 350 since it was all from the same seller.