ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bad News...My Tranny Went Out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 03:39 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News...My Tranny Went Out...

So... here what happen today, I started my car and it was idling unsual... the car would shake... then after i drove off it was fine... But there was a catch! I went off driving and it would rev in high RPM. going about 40mp with 5k RPM.. i was like WHOA! so I let off the gas a bit and the gear change... it even went worse when i tried ETC. so thinking i could goto work and be back home and check whats wrong later it didn't happen. i went up a very steep hill and my car was reving at 5kRPM @ 20mph .. and i didn't want to red line... and right when i got to the top... my car did not budge at all.... not Even in D,2,&L.... so there i was stuck between an intersection... so i told my wife to get in the car so i can push it to food for less.... sadly to say my car is out of commission....

Things I checked -
Mounts = up to date
tranny fluid = alittle off it was black! and flooded.

Problems Anyone suggest?
Torque Convertor?
Tranny Fluid ( obviously it was black ) my stupidity

Any Help would be greatful...

I hope to put this car back on the road where people would turn their head and look!
Old 09-15-06, 04:35 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's slipping. Don't drive it while it's slipping. Change the transmission fluid. It's normally about 3.7qts draining the pan. So get a 4 quart jug & put the whole gallon in the transmission. From there let the engine idle a min, or two so it's drawing fluid through the transmission.
Shift to every gear position for several seconds & back to park. Then check the transmission fluid level again It'll be hard to read b/c of the fresh fluid in the dipstick tube, but do your best. It may want to move at that time.
If it's still slipping & you can't tell the transmission level, it's most likely still low on fluid (Provided it's not burned up.). Add another quart to it, shift through all gear positions & see if it'll move then.

Driving a transmission while it's slipping will kill it. Stop driving it if you have any transmission slipping.

If it's still in the parking lot. Add a quart, or two & see if you can drive it home.
Too much transmission lfuid is bad, but not as bad as too low. "How much is too much". Well, its dependant. But if it's not foaming up, you're OK. If you go adding abunch of fluid to get it to register, pull the dipstick out after it's run afew min. If it's foamed up, it's too much. If not you should be OK for now.
Old 09-15-06, 08:51 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

My car is in the garage now... I had my friend ram me in the *** to get me home. lucky i was up hill. i let the down hill did most of the work and running through stop signs. i was suprise that there wasn't any cops around! and had some major scratches on my rear bumper ..but thats okay.

but yeah, I'll difinately try that, but what type of tranmission fluid do you recommend? i know that there are several out there.

thanks.
Old 09-16-06, 12:14 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Everybody makes Dexron-III.
Everybody "recommends" AMSoil's. LoL! My recommendation is go to wallmart & buy the gallon jug of super-tech for like $7.

You'll need a long neck funnel too. And newspapers & if you don't have a pan, get one.
Old 09-16-06, 08:04 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

so yeah heres what happen in this very long process...

I went and got the super-tech dexron-III , gasket & filter. I then got home to my car and flush out all the dark tranny fluid .then i cleaned the old gasket that was still stuck on the tranny pan .then I replace it with the new gasket and also wipe down the tranny alittle bit with some paper towel and replace the filter also.

so after starting the car and letting it warm up i then got into "R" and everything was kewl... Then i went on "D" "2" and "L" the car did not budge at all. until i rev at 4k rpm and it started to lock on and it moved. afterwards i decided to put it to the test on the streets ( front of my block ). i shift to every gear and had to rev at 4k+ rpm then it grab on and my car just pulled. it felt like i was lunching on a manual. 4k-rev and BOOM! the car just jerks and pull hard forward. so after doing acouple runs i shift to every gear and drove normally. but this time i did not have to rev so high... i check my tranny fluid and it seems alittle redish black. i was thinking of flushing it one more time and see how it performs.

other than that.. do you know what other problems i could be facing? or do i have to completely get a new tranny?
Old 09-17-06, 11:33 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Do it again, and add more fluid to it.
Stop driving it while it's slipping. It's gunna cause you problems... If it doesn't move on it's own from an idle you need to let it run longer & add a cup of fluid before you completely strip the clutches bare.