ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 11:59 AM
aggiez28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ES aftermarket stereo

I have a 98 ES300 with the standard stereo. I am thinking about upgrading it to somthing a bit better.
I would like to have an indash CD player if possible. a Ipod hookup would be nice also.
I would like to have a bit more bass and more crisp highs.

what size replacement speakers for the es300?
can anyone recomend some decent speakers and head units?

I dont need high end stuff, just decent stuff at a reasonable price. I dont have a set budget, im just seeing whats avalible and i will decide how much i want to spend when i see a few options.

Thanks
Brook
Old 10-02-06, 01:20 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

JL Audio is one brand that will produce crisp highs.. even there bottom of the line stuff, like TR series speakers, will sound really good off a decent deck, even cheaper then the JL's that will still sound good would probablly be something in the alpine or kicker line.. alpine type R componets are really good for the cost. Head units are a different story.. I personally run alpine and kenwood as the decks I have (HAD thanks to recent theft in ES) as they have high prevolt outputs.. but if your not running a amp theres really no need for this.. I'd say even a bottom of the line alpine hooked up to some alpine type R componets would sound good without any amps.. just depends what you want and how much money you want to spend.. I'd say you could get a deck and speakers all the way around for under $500 installed.. if you did the install yourself and purchased the items online even cheaper..
-Scott
Old 10-02-06, 02:37 PM
aggiez28
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the imput.
I do have a few amps laying arounf from a previous car. I dont have a clue to the specs off the top of my head.

what do you think about keeping the stock head unit and just adding speakers (and amps if needed)?

waste of time or would that give good gains?
If i replace the head unit do they make any that are not the usual aftermarket head unit shape?
i dont like the look of the plastic "space fillers" when you put small head unit where a large one used to be.

what size speakers should i be looking at? whats in the doors, trunk etc?

as for budget, 500 would not be a problem, if there are some good guides i may try it myself

thanks
Brook
Old 10-02-06, 02:56 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

As far as the deck, I know someone posted a guide as to how to do it for your year car, im not familiar with your specific year, but different websites.. like sound domain, crutchfield, or even best buy normally can tell you what size speakers you'd need. as far as your deck, not sure as the size of it, but they do make decks that are double din (about 2 time the size) of the normal aftermarket stereo. But, there are several kits, like the metra one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW that make it look good. From what I can see, the stock stereo isnt a perfect square, so a double din unit wouldnt really work. Better off going with a normal size aftermarket stereo. Really doesn't look to bad with one of those kits. Someone might be able to post some pics of there install. Stock speakers cant really push aftermarket speakers, not sure on the specs on your stock system, or stock amp, but i highly doubt that the stock deck has any RCA outputs for an aftermarket amp, so thats kinda a no go.. If you do the install yourself with one of those kits its really not hard.. hardest thing I'd say would be removing door panels/deck cover to replace the speakers then put it back. You can buy aftermarket wiring harness's too for the aftermarket deck.. all just depends on what you want.. if your talking amps, subs, its gonna add up alot quicker.. decent amp hook up kit, for 2 amps will cost minimum $100.. I'd say if you'r gonna replace anything do the deck then speakers.. thats my opnion..
-Scott
Old 10-02-06, 03:02 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

correction stock decks cant really push aftermarket speakers.. more harmful to push speakers below the recommend specifications then above.. normally companys under rate there items a tiny bit if your talking about a main line company.. Do you know if theres a stock amp on this car? i would say there is as the older models do.. not sure..
But if you are interested in aftermarket amps and subs, make sure whatever you buy now can support these items, I mean almost ANY aftermarket deck can add an amp, but i'd say get something with around 4 volt preouts minimum.. and 3 rca pre outs (one for subs).. better to spend more now and be able to upgrade later then have to start over later if you want to add subs..
-Scott
Old 10-02-06, 03:04 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

Aggies!? where in Texas you at!? im in Amarillo for a few more days, then im gone for the weekend but be back next week for a few more weeks... Got plenty of time to help with install if your close by..
-Scott..
Old 10-02-06, 07:05 PM
aggiez28
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info.

I live in Houston but im in the middle of the gulf of mexico till the end of the month

Brook
Old 10-02-06, 07:08 PM
aggiez28
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know of a better lookign kit than that metra one? thats the look I would like to avoid
Old 10-03-06, 07:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take a look below at my sig, i have a decent setup, gonna add subs soon but not yet (thats where im really going to spend $$$$) lol. the speakers i have are real clear and have decent bass response for inside speakers, not expensive either. HU cost $230, front doors cost $200 and rears cost $250. amp was also $250. gettin all tweeters for doors and dash installed this weekend (top of the line kickers) whoo !!
Old 10-12-06, 11:31 PM
aggiez28
Driver School Candidate

tttttttttttttt