ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A few pics of my ES (and a couple of questions)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06 | 10:13 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Default A few pics of my ES (and a couple of questions)

I like how she looks from this angle.

The paint doesn't look this good for real.

These Avalon wheels look so nice on the ES.

Gah! Look at that gap though.. can't wait to drop her a little bit.

Better shot of the wheel.

Bumper is in serious need of some paint.

No tach or speedo needles. (The whack-it method brought back all the other lights though)

Thats right, she's a 5-speed!

Picked this up a few weeks ago from the original owner for $3500. A 1992 with 140k miles (not too bad), never wrecked, no rips or cracks in the leather, engine is spotless, overall I think I came out pretty well. The wheels are 17" Toyota Avalon XLS rims off a 2006, that I had originally put on my 1995 Avalon last year. Unfortunately my dad totalled that car, but if he hadn't I would never have found this car so everything worked out for the better.

Now on to my questions. First, about how much would a body shop charge to just paint the front bumper? I plan to paint the whole car one solid cover eventually, so I was thinking of just taking it somewhere cheap like Maaco because I only need it to look good for maybe a year until I do the whole thing. What do you guys think? I was also considering just getting a bra for the nose instead, but I have never seen one on this model ES and haven't found one anywhere online. Second, does anyone know if a steering wheel off of a different/newer model Lexus that has wood grain would fit on this car, as well as a wood shift ****? The inside looks so bare with just that little bit of burlwood on the console.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, and let me know what you think of the car! Hopefully in the next year I can have mine lookin as nice as some of y'alls rides.
Old 10-08-06 | 10:23 AM
shahir18
Instructor

wow, never knew the ES came in manual... pretty nice!!!
Old 10-08-06 | 12:23 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MCG33
I like how she looks from this angle.

These Avalon wheels look so nice on the ES.

Gah! Look at that gap though.. can't wait to drop her a little bit.

Better shot of the wheel.

Bumper is in serious need of some paint.

No tach or speedo needles. (The whack-it method brought back all the other lights though)

Thats right, she's a 5-speed!

Picked this up a few weeks ago from the original owner for $3500. A 1992 with 140k miles (not too bad), never wrecked, no rips or cracks in the leather, engine is spotless, overall I think I came out pretty well. The wheels are 17" Toyota Avalon XLS rims off a 2006, that I had originally put on my 1995 Avalon last year. Unfortunately my dad totalled that car, but if he hadn't I would never have found this car so everything worked out for the better.

Now on to my questions. First, about how much would a body shop charge to just paint the front bumper? I plan to paint the whole car one solid cover eventually, so I was thinking of just taking it somewhere cheap like Maaco because I only need it to look good for maybe a year until I do the whole thing. What do you guys think? I was also considering just getting a bra for the nose instead, but I have never seen one on this model ES and haven't found one anywhere online. Second, does anyone know if a steering wheel off of a different/newer model Lexus that has wood grain would fit on this car, as well as a wood shift ****? The inside looks so bare with just that little bit of burlwood on the console.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, and let me know what you think of the car! Hopefully in the next year I can have mine lookin as nice as some of y'alls rides.
Very nice! love the the avalon rims on the ES!!! 16's or 17's?

Anyways, welcome to the 5 speed club!!!

A 5 speed is very very rare in the ES community.

One of the CL member posted this in a thread:
"In 1992 1,395 5 speeds were produced. I got this in a written letter from lexus so i can qualify for ohio collector plates "

Here's mine:

I think for $200 would get the front bumper painted. I don't know if it's a good idea to bring it to a macco bcuz I've heard alot of stories about how they fk it up so bad for such a simple job. Alot of ppl said it would of came out better if they painted the car themselves. Some select few, very little ppl had good experience with macco.

I say no-no to a bra!!!!!

If u want more wood, u can try one of those wood dash kits.

As for the shifter, i've been looking for one myself and havent found one i like yet. I was just thinking about re-upholstering the worn oem leather one.

Last edited by maniax; 10-08-06 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-08-06 | 12:46 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

Bra's are avaible for this generation ES.. not the easiest to find but they have them on ebay, think one seller has them in there store. As for painting the front bumper, there was a post about someone painting the rear bumper of there car themselves. Got the paint in spray cans i believe from some website.. not sure maybe someone can fill u in on the site.. or ill look for the post later..
-Scott
Old 10-08-06 | 12:51 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

paintscratch.com.. can match stock colors, and heres the thread..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=67398
-Scott
Old 10-08-06 | 01:14 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Looks pretty good, especially with the Avalons on...they suit the ES really well. Seems you did ok with the purchase deal. I agree with the others - No Maaco! Your bumper would probably look just as bad or worse in six months.
There's an easy fix for your burnt out speedo and tach needles, if doing a little soldering is something you can handle. There's a link to my DIY post in my signature. The needles are not fully illuminated afterwards, just the tips. But it sure is better (IMO) than having to use a flashlight to see how fast you're going! I also replaced the cluster backlighting bulbs with LEDs....looks so much cooler...and brighter!
Old 10-08-06 | 02:22 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Do not bra a car. They cause more damage than they save. If you ahve to, cut some of the plastic ones out to fit.
Don't waste your money painting the bumper if you plan on painting the car. Buy a set of toothpicks, a pack of 1000, 15000 & 2000 wet/dry automotive sand paper, go to lexus & pick-up a bottle of your paint colors.

Here is a great guide on how to repair a chip, or scratch. Half my car is touch-ups. The vast majority of which I don't even know where they are anymore.

Sure, you can do alot of steering wheel swaps. Virtually any Lexus/Toyota. 3 spoke Celica swaps are popular for the sporty.

Last edited by Pheonix; 10-08-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-08-06 | 04:44 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Wow cool a rare 5-speed . The ES has quite a bit of torque, and I can imagine how much more lively it'd feel without that (POS) automatic and torque converter. As for minor chips and scratches, I used the Autosharp pen on mine and got decent results. I also agree, that there's a bit too much plastic on the interior, so maybe look for a decent trim kit for the HVAC panels.

Out of curiosity, how's the manual? Toyota doesn't have the best reputation for good manual transmissions (my dad's previous Toyota was an example of a bad one). I'm curious to hear.
Old 10-08-06 | 09:28 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
Wow cool a rare 5-speed . The ES has quite a bit of torque, and I can imagine how much more lively it'd feel without that (POS) automatic and torque converter. As for minor chips and scratches, I used the Autosharp pen on mine and got decent results. I also agree, that there's a bit too much plastic on the interior, so maybe look for a decent trim kit for the HVAC panels.

Out of curiosity, how's the manual? Toyota doesn't have the best reputation for good manual transmissions (my dad's previous Toyota was an example of a bad one). I'm curious to hear.
smooth but boring
Old 10-09-06 | 10:57 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Just remember. When you hit the gas on the automatic & it jumps RPM. You get 359ft-lb. Torque multiplication rules!
Old 10-09-06 | 11:43 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback and responses! The more I drive it the more I love it, and I'm glad there is such a good little community for us. You guys have already helped me with a lot. And to answer/respond to your comments:

that boy: thats the general response I get from everyone in person too lol.

maniax: thanks for the warm welcome! yes they are 17's with 225/45/17 tires. I like them a lot, but was also considering gettin the IS rims like you have. I like how they look on your ride! also is that grill off of a newer model, or did you custom make that yourself? it looks really good either way, especially with the eyelids! and is that an antenna mod you've got, or just something in the back of the pic? I was thinking of either shaving off mine when I paint the whole car, or putting a shorter one on there. still undecided though!

sricenbaw: yeah I think I may lean away from the bra, but thanks for the heads up on that site! I will definitely look into gettin some of that paint.

Lexucan: thanks for the feedback! and I wish I knew even a little somethin about electrical work cuz I would try out the DIY fix for sure. but unfortunately when it comes to electronics I've got 2 left hands, so I will leave that one up to a pro. $200 doesn't seem to bad for that guy from the forums to fix up the whole cluster, so I may look into doin that down the road!

Phoenix: thanks for that info! I will give it a try this weekend and see how the bumper comes out.. and if I mess it up to bad then I'll try a body shop. no harm in tryin I suppose! :P and for the steering wheel I was lookin for more classy than sporty, so I will look around for something off an LS or GS perhaps. whatever would match up with my woodgrain the best.

AzNMpower: yeah like maniax said, very smooth but boring at times. although it is the best 5-speed I have ever owned (previous manuals have all been 4 cyl Hondas) so I am lovin it. I'm hoping after some engine mods and suspension work that it will be a lot more on the fun side. It is pretty nice to spin the tires out a little sometimes, I could never get more than a little chirp out of my Hondas.
Old 10-09-06 | 12:54 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Welcome to the 5 speed club! what part of GA you from? I from athens. BTW those avalon rims look awesome. Way better than the stock 15's on mine!
Old 10-09-06 | 02:01 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Those avalon rims look nice bro. keep up the good work.
Old 10-09-06 | 06:48 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

i agree i think the wheels look nice and clean
Old 10-12-06 | 05:18 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MCG33
Thanks for all the feedback and responses! The more I drive it the more I love it, and I'm glad there is such a good little community for us. You guys have already helped me with a lot. And to answer/respond to your comments:

that boy: thats the general response I get from everyone in person too lol.

maniax: thanks for the warm welcome! yes they are 17's with 225/45/17 tires. I like them a lot, but was also considering gettin the IS rims like you have. I like how they look on your ride! also is that grill off of a newer model, or did you custom make that yourself? it looks really good either way, especially with the eyelids! and is that an antenna mod you've got, or just something in the back of the pic? I was thinking of either shaving off mine when I paint the whole car, or putting a shorter one on there. still undecided though!

sricenbaw: yeah I think I may lean away from the bra, but thanks for the heads up on that site! I will definitely look into gettin some of that paint.

Lexucan: thanks for the feedback! and I wish I knew even a little somethin about electrical work cuz I would try out the DIY fix for sure. but unfortunately when it comes to electronics I've got 2 left hands, so I will leave that one up to a pro. $200 doesn't seem to bad for that guy from the forums to fix up the whole cluster, so I may look into doin that down the road!

Phoenix: thanks for that info! I will give it a try this weekend and see how the bumper comes out.. and if I mess it up to bad then I'll try a body shop. no harm in tryin I suppose! :P and for the steering wheel I was lookin for more classy than sporty, so I will look around for something off an LS or GS perhaps. whatever would match up with my woodgrain the best.

AzNMpower: yeah like maniax said, very smooth but boring at times. although it is the best 5-speed I have ever owned (previous manuals have all been 4 cyl Hondas) so I am lovin it. I'm hoping after some engine mods and suspension work that it will be a lot more on the fun side. It is pretty nice to spin the tires out a little sometimes, I could never get more than a little chirp out of my Hondas.

the grill is a custom so call "JDM grill". I just spray painted it with some chrome spray from walmart. i gotta admit it does make a big difference for an under $10 mod.

As for the antenna, I did a s2000 antenna mod. Reception is just OK. I get bad reception when there's alot of trees. But it's ofcourse better than my old dead power antenna. and i think it looks pretty good.

Also, I would highly recommend getting the wheelskin cover for your steering wheel. It feels great and looks good. It was my solution for fixing my worn oem leather steering wheel. Installation took a couple of hours of stitching but i think its well worth it.

I had an excellent experience with this seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTI...31613552QQrdZ1

Quick Reply: A few pics of my ES (and a couple of questions)