ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help!! Will smaller tires elimimate rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 09:01 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Help!! Will smaller tires elimimate rubbing

I have a 96' Es and about to get new tires. The current tires are 225/40/18 and they rub really bad on bumps (especially will a sub in the trunk and passengers). Would it terminate the rubbing issue if I put 215 instead of 225? would it still fit the rim? any suggestion and help is welcome and appreciated!
Old 10-24-06, 11:38 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

roll your fenders, problem solved.
Old 10-24-06, 11:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looked on one of the tire sites and for your car it is recommended that you use 215/45 for 18" rims. Is your car lowered???? Where is the rubbing, ooutside, inside, in center??? Examine your tires really carefully to first determinw where the rubbing is coming frm then decide what to do. The infor you gave was pretty vague, but like I said, with what you have provided in the way of info here, 215/45/18 should do you just fine. AQll demends on where, to the best of your ability, to determine where the rubbing is.
Old 10-25-06, 04:54 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisES
roll your fenders, problem solved.
i am mechanically challenged, how do you roll the fenders?
Old 10-25-06, 09:49 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i am mechanically challenged, how do you roll the fenders?
there's a ghetto way, and the better way. except the better way costs money.

you can take it to a shop and have them do it professionally for 60-70 a side i think.

then there's the ghetto way that i did. take a wooden baseball bat or a rolling pin, wrap it in a towel and put it between the tire and the fender. have a few heavy buddies sit in the trunk and carefully push down on the bat to roll the fender up. i suggest using a heat gun on the paint to make it bend without cracking. you can crease your fenders if you're not careful. you can also put the car in drive and reverse with the bat between the tire and the fender and go back and forth very slowly. i chipped some of my paint off when i did it so i applied a lot of touch up paint under the fender to prevent rusting. if you know what you're doing and you're patient, the ghetto way is free.
Old 10-25-06, 09:58 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ChrisES
there's a ghetto way, and the better way. except the better way costs money.

you can take it to a shop and have them do it professionally for 60-70 a side i think.

then there's the ghetto way that i did. take a wooden baseball bat or a rolling pin, wrap it in a towel and put it between the tire and the fender. have a few heavy buddies sit in the trunk and carefully push down on the bat to roll the fender up. i suggest using a heat gun on the paint to make it bend without cracking. you can crease your fenders if you're not careful. you can also put the car in drive and reverse with the bat between the tire and the fender and go back and forth very slowly. i chipped some of my paint off when i did it so i applied a lot of touch up paint under the fender to prevent rusting. if you know what you're doing and you're patient, the ghetto way is free.
I bet its even funnyer to watch LOL
Old 10-25-06, 10:42 AM
chrispy

Originally Posted by Choas
I bet its even funnyer to watch LOL
lol we did it at my friends house and his dad came out to see what we were doing. i don't think he really understood but he sat in the back to help me out.
Old 10-25-06, 10:53 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But to save the $150 is it really worth possibly rusting out the inside of your fender?
Old 10-25-06, 06:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

hummmm...... rolling the fenders sounds complicated and i dont want to spend any more money than i really need to. so i guess i will be sticking with the tire method. the question is, does anyone have 215 their 18' rims and do you experience rubbing or not?
Old 10-25-06, 10:31 PM
chrispy

if you know anyone who has any experience in rolling fenders then it'll be no problem, but i didn't so i just research and experimented. you should see where it's rubbing, and by how much. then we can tell you if getting a less wide tire will help.
Old 10-26-06, 04:08 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

to check where it is rubbing, do i look on the tires or the fenders? i did notice some irregular marks on both the innner and outer wall of the tire, is that it?
Old 10-26-06, 10:24 PM
chrispy

look for small cuts from the fender on the tires and just estimate if the fender and the tire do touch. it's usually the fender lip on the inside that is doing the rubbing.
Old 10-27-06, 11:32 PM
sricenbaw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, now im no tire expert, and didnt take the time to look, but i believe 215/45/18 is gonna be almost the exact same height as the 225/40/18.. the middle number is the percentage of the first number that it is.. so if the car is 225 which lets just say is 10 inches wide, and then the next number is 40 it'd be 40% which would be 4 inches tall, so although the 215 is not as wide, its gonna be just as tall, just depends where your rubbing, with the subs and you mentioned bumps, it sounds like its rubbing on the top of the fender well, im guessing only the rears really rubbing, you'd only need to roll the fenders if theres rub lines on the sidewall of your tires from the fender.. not really necessary.. i think 215 will fit 8" wide tires.. not positive on that, 7.5" for sure.. you could put 215/35/18's, but there really small side walls, and will look funny in the wheel wells.. ive got 225/40/18s on my lex, and no real problems in the back, unless i have 3 people back there, then the outter (the side you can see) sidewall of the tires will have marks, and there will be excess rubber on the fender.. but just say no to more then 4 people total in the car, and fat chicks.. make sure anyone fat sits up front.
-Scott
Old 10-27-06, 11:59 PM
Pchaser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they are rubbing because they are too wide & u have no passengers in back, then maybe the offset of ur rims may be wrong for your car because 225 should be fine on a ES with no problem.

if they are rubbing because they are to tall then
u have to look at the tire height from ground to top of tire

ur stock 15" tire height is 25.5"
with 225/40/18 height is 25.1" (lower than the stock tire height)
if this is rubbing then either ur car is dropped or u need new struts or u have entirely to much weight in the rear of ur car

215/45/18 will defintely not solve ur problem because tire height it 25.6"

ur best bets are:
225/35/18 tire height is 24.2" (about an inch lower than ur current rim & tire combo)
or
215/40/18 tire height is 24.8"
Old 10-28-06, 01:39 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

i went tire shopping today and the guy told me 225/40/18 are fine, and maybe the 11 yr old (88000 Mile) struts needs to be replaced (is it true or is he trying to sell me something?). Did anyone have the same issue like me and by replacing the struts solved your problem? hey sricenbaw, i see that u have 2 12s and 2 10s and it doesnt rub?? is it because you have the springs changed or other mods?? did you get your struts replaced?
What exactly is the offset? is it the width of the rim itself? Pchaser, my car is not dropped and i dont think i have too much weight in the trunk because i only have single 12' with box and amp. compared to sricenbaw, that is chump change!
so do you guys think my best bet is to get new struts? i just dont want to spend money on anything that is not going to be beneficial.
thanks

Quick Reply: Help!! Will smaller tires elimimate rubbing