ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil Sluge Settlement

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 04:43 PM
mrbobbyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Sluge Settlement

Hey Everyone;I just got my certificate from Toyota/Lexus That covers engine damage from oil sluge. It's a certificate that you keep in you glove box,it has your model and vin # on it. Covers 1997-2002 ES and other toyo and the Rx 300. Did any one else get this in the mail.If you did'nt go to oilsettlement.com. There's more,but I can't type fer crap. Hope this helps others who paid for engine repairs or get sluged.
PS; Also have a # 1-888-279-4405

Last edited by mrbobbyd; 11-21-06 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added #
Old 11-21-06, 05:32 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got one as well. I haven't personally had this problem yet (at least not that I'm aware of), but it's good to have this security, and that Toyota is FINALLY addressing this infamous issue.
Old 11-21-06, 07:53 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got mine too.
Old 11-21-06, 09:02 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

yeah i got it too.
Old 11-22-06, 06:28 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Got mine as well but useless since the ES is no longer here.
Old 11-23-06, 08:15 AM
fdbandit
Driver School Candidate

got mine yesterday but if you read the fine print it is good for 8 years. Kind of ridiculous considering my 1997 ES is 9 years old. Again, it would seem the lawyers benefit first.
Old 11-24-06, 01:37 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

LoL! Sludge is an owner/operator maintenace issue. Not an engine design issue.
The entire thing is bull****. TMC is just putting any questions of legality issues to an end once & for all.
This is nothing more than extending the ORIGINAL extended warranty campaign date of 8 years / 100,000 miles from the date of purchase to expire in 8 years, 180 days.
  • PROVIDED that you can provide proof of regular maintenance done to the vehicle.
  • INCLUDING obvious mechanical damage PREVIOUSLY CAUSED by sludge. NOT sludge in the process of being made.
  • AND that you only have until March 15, 2007 regardless of years to make any form of claim Against Toyota Motor Corperation.

This is nothing to get excited about.
Old 11-24-06, 03:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

This is nothing more than a risk minimization issue. I have worked in corporate law and trial law before going into business (thank god) and would spend hours developing these cooky schemes to figure out how to sucker in the most people and then send these ideas up to the partners to finalize.

Always sounds too good to be true.

In Mexico, my uncle (a mechanic) sees tons of sludged vehicles, even ones still under warranty that the agencies (we would say dealers in the U.S.) will claim abuse or other phraseology to get the hell out of the dealership and my uncle ends up having to deal with it. You don't see any of these of these little settlements or anything down here and you are lucky if the dealer ever mentions or checks for anything on a recall.

Oh yeah, I remember a good one. My uncle worked on a Land Rover Freelander not too long ago, out of warranty, and the guy wondered why it suddenly stopped one day. This was about 6 months after he was out of warranty and stopped going to the dealer. My uncle told him after ripping out the engine block and opening it up to show the insides..."Every hear of motor oil?"
Old 11-24-06, 04:56 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The best for me was last time I was at a nissan dealership. This women brought a Maxima in that siezed up while in the service bay from rod knock.
Ofcorse she was a lawyer, and as a giving she was a heinous *****. Spewing left & right about sewing them at the top of her lungs to the service manager, the other service manager, and a tech in the bay.

I strolled to her open engine. Looked around it. The second she took a breath I said (loud enoguh to interject) something like, I got $20 says this engine doesn't have 2 complete quarts of oil in it. Nobody took the bet & there wasn't 2 complete quarts of oil in the engine.

Otherwise I've seen a Sienna come in all sludged up that had a rod knock that blew. The owner hadn't changed the oil in about a year & there wasn't hardly 3 quarts of oil in it cold & dry (All oil being in the sump). You can't even draw oil period without a quart & a half of oil in most of the v6 sumps.
Old 11-26-06, 12:51 AM
thatoneguy
Driver School Candidate

I don't mean to hijack, but I got a similar letter which dealt with some kind of oil gel problem and blue smoke coming out of the exhaust instead of the oil sludge problem. Anyone else recieve something like it?
Old 11-27-06, 12:49 PM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

So im kind of confused on how this works? I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 with 121,000 miles on it. We are the orignal owners, and I noticed burnt/orangish oil around the oil cap and it looks like it's like that inside the head. Will Lexus cover this now before it blows up? Or am I not covered?
Old 11-27-06, 08:27 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Hey whats up guys, im kinda new here on cl so bare with me on posting forums. Anyway, i got the oil settlement certificate in the mail as well for my 2000 es300, i bought the car a few months ago from a used car dealership, am i still covered and if so for how long, if anyone clearly understands this settlement please help me out, thanks.
Old 11-27-06, 08:44 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone I know that has owned a ES 300, including myself, received a letter from Lexus years ago making the same promise and this court settlement. I don't know if there is any difference to the settlment vs. the letter. But I know my engine was protected until 2010 for sludge. So far, no problems with it and I don't expect there to be.
Old 12-22-06, 12:10 PM
Specter
Driver

Sorry to bring this back up but... I am confused (very easy to do).

OK, I bought a ES 300 2001 Lex from Lexus. No problems what so ever.

I got this letter and figured I'd "opt in" what could it hurt... right ? Now I'm rethinking this.

I did not know there was already a oil gel extended warrenty out there.

Where do I get info on this ?

Does it cover used Certified vehicles/second owners ?

This settlement just adds a few months to that extended warrenty... right ?

Does it only cover cars with a current gel problem ?

What to do ? No problems with my car. Regularly maintaned.

Opinions ?

Specter
Old 12-22-06, 06:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by thatoneguy
I don't mean to hijack, but I got a similar letter which dealt with some kind of oil gel problem and blue smoke coming out of the exhaust instead of the oil sludge problem. Anyone else recieve something like it?

Its the same thing thats mentioned above...

I got mine about a month ago.. It really is true though from mentioned above.. Regular maintance means less problems........ change your oil

Quick Reply: Oil Sluge Settlement