ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Restoring stereo to stock in a '94 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 10:34 PM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring stereo to stock in a '94 ES300

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1994 ES300 for cheap. Rides nice and I am satisfied with it so far, I just wanted something comfortable to drive around in. Only problem is that its stereo sucks, the previous owner put in a $40 head unit that is an analog FM tuner and nothing else. The old stereo from the center console is gone.

I searched the forums about putting in a new head unit and it seems like way too much trouble. I'd rather just replace the stock stereo and have the stock CD changer installed. Problem is, I don't have either one.

How much work would it be to reinstall a stock head unit and a CD changer from eBay? Or would it be easier to buy a new head unit and install that at this point? I'm willing to go either way, just want to be able to listen to some CDs instead of turning a **** until I find some FM reception.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-06, 05:52 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously at this point i'd suggest going and buying yourself a nice new head unit that plays cd's and has radio and everything, its going to cost more buying an old head unit and cd changer and having it installed. i have the alpine cda 9851 and its great, plays cd's, mp3's, has radio and everything. on top of that its a lot easier to change cd's while driving instead of having to wait till you stop your car then goin to the trunk to change out cd's lol. you can find a good quality head unit for about $200, maybe less if you look around ...
Old 12-21-06, 09:13 AM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Seriously at this point i'd suggest going and buying yourself a nice new head unit that plays cd's and has radio and everything, its going to cost more buying an old head unit and cd changer and having it installed. i have the alpine cda 9851 and its great, plays cd's, mp3's, has radio and everything. on top of that its a lot easier to change cd's while driving instead of having to wait till you stop your car then goin to the trunk to change out cd's lol. you can find a good quality head unit for about $200, maybe less if you look around ...
If this is the easier method, I'm all for it. What all do I need to get to install the head unit? As far as center console plate, etc? When I looked at one of the DIY's, it said I had to take out the passenger seat for the stock amp, and do all sorts of wiring, etc. Is this the DIY I need to follow?
Old 12-21-06, 09:14 AM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

The guide on Crutchfield says there is no wiring harness for the ES300, that I will have to splice my own wires, etc. This is what I'm worried about
Old 01-02-07, 12:35 PM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Bump... anyone?
Old 01-04-07, 11:31 AM
khhoang
Driver

There are wire harnesses for our year ES 92-96. Crutchfield used to sell them but now they sell the PAC OEM-2 Universal Factory Sound System Interface http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zypWGRw...=751&I=127OEM2 . Check with your local BestBuy or Circuitcity, I'm pretty sure they sale the wire harnesses.

Anyways, since you already have an aftermarket radio installed, I would remove it and see how it was wired. See if there is a wire harness used already or someone already did the splicing into the factory wires. Buying a used factory Lexus radio/cd changer is risky bc you don't know if there's any existing problem like burned out back lighting, burned lcd, etc. You don't have to bypass the factory amp under the passenger seat if it's still working and you're satisfied with the sound using it. I'm still using my factory amp with my Alpine HU but will eventually one day bypass the amp for the four main speakers (front doors & rear deck) by just cutting the wires from the amp and reroute it to the HU harness and let the factory amp power the other two pairs of smaller speakers (I hope this is possible)..
Old 01-04-07, 04:15 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with Tweeter. I remember when I asked that they said they would do it all for about $450 tops including the head unit and parts and installation.
Old 01-05-07, 11:10 PM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
Check with Tweeter. I remember when I asked that they said they would do it all for about $450 tops including the head unit and parts and installation.
$450 sounds a little steep for just a head unit, that was with no aftermarket speakers at all?

And khhoang, is the only thing needed to install a new HU, then, a wiring harness and a faceplate adapter?
Old 01-06-07, 04:59 PM
khhoang
Driver

Originally Posted by ndnxtc
$450 sounds a little steep for just a head unit, that was with no aftermarket speakers at all?

And khhoang, is the only thing needed to install a new HU, then, a wiring harness and a faceplate adapter?
yes, that's all you need. the wire harness is wired to your aftermarket HU and then plugged to the connector of your factory radio wire harness. doing it this way, you will still be using the factory amp to power all 8 speakers. like i said, check with bestbuy/circuitcity/etc and see if they carry this wire harness made specific for car models. crutchfield.com used to sell it (that's where i got mine) but now they have that universal one.