ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

headlight, front end help........

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 02:27 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default headlight, front end help........

so i noticed one of my headlights cracked today.......i was going to do a projector install but when i saw this today it basically means i need to buy 2 new headlights since the other sides alittle yellow/old......

so can i buy the headlights thats made for hid/xenons? i really don't feel like doing a prejector retrofit at the moment.....

also can i do anything about those ugle *** fog lights? i have a 97 and noticed on the newer ones that they were clear......

thanks
Old 12-26-06, 02:40 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

For the headlamps, you can purchase OEM HID headlights from the '00-'01 ES. They were an option for those model year ES. In order to make the install effective, you'll need to purchase the following: a set of OEM HID headlamps, HID bulbs (preferably Philips Ultrinon), cap covers for the low and high beam bulb areas, ballasts (preferably from any OEM Lexus model like the IS, RX, GS, etc.), and mounting hardware for the ballasts (if you're lucky, the hardware may come included with the ballasts). The install should be plug-and-play, except that you may have to splice the wirings from the low-beam connection in order to properly connect to the HID bulbs.

As for the fog lights, you can retrofit the clear fogs from the '00-'01 ES, but this involves obtaining the front bumper and fog lights from a '00-'01 ES. A couple members here have done a successful front end conversion of their '97 ES to an '00-'01.
Old 12-26-06, 02:43 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexusk8
For the headlamps, you can purchase OEM HID headlights from the '00-'01 ES. They were an option for those model year ES. In order to make the install effective, you'll need to purchase the following: a set of OEM HID headlamps, HID bulbs (preferably Philips Ultrinon), cap covers for the low and high beam bulb areas, ballasts (preferably from any OEM Lexus model like the IS, RX, GS, etc.), and mounting hardware for the ballasts (if you're lucky, the hardware may come included with the ballasts). The install should be plug-and-play, except that you may have to splice the wirings from the low-beam connection in order to properly connect to the HID bulbs.

As for the fog lights, you can retrofit the clear fogs from the '00-'01 ES, but this involves obtaining the front bumper and fog lights from a '00-'01 ES. A couple members here have done a successful front end conversion of their '97 ES to an '00-'01.
off the top of your head you know how much the headlights go for?

also i have a xenon denso kit here....i have bulbs too , that wouldn';t work?

that sucks on the fog lights, i don;'t wanna spend that much.....you know if there the same size? or if they make clear ones aftermarket?
Old 12-26-06, 02:57 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well just to give you a ballpark figure, I bought my HID headlamps from Ebay for less than $400. If purchased from the dealer, expect to pay around a grand for just ONE headlamp alone

The Denso brand for the bulbs and/or ballasts should work on the HIDs with no problems. In fact, I believe that's the brand used on most of the Lexus installed parts.

From my understanding, the size of the '97 and '01 fogs is different as they are of a different geometry altogether. No aftermarket ones AFAIK.
Old 12-26-06, 03:22 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Well just to give you a ballpark figure, I bought my HID headlamps from Ebay for less than $400. If purchased from the dealer, expect to pay around a grand for just ONE headlamp alone

The Denso brand for the bulbs and/or ballasts should work on the HIDs with no problems. In fact, I believe that's the brand used on most of the Lexus installed parts.

From my understanding, the size of the '97 and '01 fogs is different as they are of a different geometry altogether. No aftermarket ones AFAIK.
2g's for both, damn.....not good.......how did you get them for so cheap? i've looked on ebay and found nothing.......

i hate how the fogs have those ripples on them........makes it look old school....i'm pretty much ***'ed out, huh?
Old 12-26-06, 06:17 PM
draikonz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try checking out some local junkyards to see if they carry the headlamps that you need...if they carry it, salvaging it that way will be one of the cheapest ways to get it...and if they're yellow or hazed, its extremely simple to make them clear again.. All you have to do is buy some Meguirs PlastX , polish it up and it'll be nice and clear again like new.

But yeah, expect to pay a lot when you pay for the headlamps at the dealership.

Keep checking ebay also frequently because there will ALWAYS be a good deal popping up now and then...so keep your eyes open... Another good source to find parts is to check http://www.froogle.com
they show you a variety of parts from many different sources other than just one place like ebay if the parts are being sold from any other places listing them...Good luck finding them!
Old 12-26-06, 10:46 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

can the headlight covers be changed out??
Old 12-26-06, 11:25 PM
draikonz
Driver

are you talking about the clear plastic part? like this?
Old 12-26-06, 11:46 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

yes

cause the headlight itself is good but the plastic part is cracked and but yellow
Old 12-27-06, 02:08 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

how bad is the crack? i just finished my projector retrofit.
Old 12-27-06, 09:54 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChrisES
how bad is the crack? i just finished my projector retrofit.
it's on the side and also on the corner lamps as well......

so can the headlight covers be swaped out? do they sell them at the dealer?

also any pics of your retrofit? i wanna see.....

btw i was thinking of just buying these i saw on ebay
http://search.stores.ebay.com/AutoPa...saselZ34942291
Old 12-28-06, 01:18 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

i'll post up pics of my retrofit sometime this week. i'm still testing out stuff and i didn't do a great job since it was my first time. i don't think you can just by headlight lenses by themselves. if it were possible, i wouldn't have wetsanded my lights for 3 hours.
Old 12-28-06, 06:21 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChrisES
i'll post up pics of my retrofit sometime this week. i'm still testing out stuff and i didn't do a great job since it was my first time. i don't think you can just by headlight lenses by themselves. if it were possible, i wouldn't have wetsanded my lights for 3 hours.
gotcha........i find out those lights i saw on ebay are aftermarket ones but i think they look good......for both it;ll be around 320......i think i'm buy them
Old 12-28-06, 06:36 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

will the older es300 92-95 headlights fit a 1997?
Old 12-28-06, 08:30 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
will the older es300 92-95 headlights fit a 1997?
No, they will not fit. You should hold out for a cheaper price than $320.00 if you can. You will find a much cheaper deal than that price on Ebay if you are patient. Are your lights leaking water to the point where it will cause light failure due to condensation? If not, keep an eye out on EBAY for that sweet deal. It should prove to be worth your while.

Just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: headlight, front end help........