ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The saga continues . . .1995 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 08:52 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The saga continues . . .1995 ES300

Wow, it seems like this autoshop keeps breaking things on my car when they pulled my transmission to replace a front pump seal. As I reported last time under "ABS light is on", the shop broke my left front wheel sensor and claimed that they didn't do anything. Come to find out later that the trouble code pointed directly to the left front wheel and they agreed to fix it.

Here is the NEW Problem: when I am turning to the right, I feel a slight slip from the front wheels like I am skidding on ice or hit a grease patch. It only happens when I am turning my wheels to the right. If I am going straight or turning to my left, everything is ok. My car has never felt this way and it happened after I turned it over to the shop for the transmission repair. I also brought it to NTB for a realigment and the guy said that everything looks tight.

So you mechanic gurus out there, any idea whether this is related to the tranny work when they pulled the axle or is it something else?
Old 01-21-07, 03:59 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

could be something loose on your front right end, maybe a control arm, or something of that nature that causes you to skid when you turn right, but i can be wrong...please post any new updates about ur car so the guys here can help..goodluck bro..
Old 01-21-07, 08:05 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion, 00es300. I will definitely double check those areas. When I brought my car into NTB, they said everything looked fine. I will probably try to get a second opinion. Will keep you updated.

Just to clarify the problem a little more, when I am turning to my right, the car is sliping to the left because the weight of the car is shifted to the left. Today, I felt the same thing when I am turning left, although not as often, the car slips to the right. It is an awful feeling like the car is ice skating.

Last edited by GS4.0; 01-24-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 09:11 AM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Ok,

Here is what I found by going to another autoshop:

The front left side of the sway bar connection is completely disconnected, actually the mounting of it to the wish bone is completely broken! The mechanic showed me the broken piece and my sway bar was just dangling in the air. He couldn't figure out why it would have broken off unless pressure was put on it for some reason.

So, I am putting it out to you guys to see if anyone have any idea why this would happen. My thought is the previous mechanic that repaired my tranny must have done something when they pulled out the left front axle to get to it. Do you guys think that it is reasonable to assume that they broke it and make them responsible? Any thoughts or suggestion regarding what I should do?
Old 01-24-07, 09:57 AM
MangoMan
Driver

Dude I would freakin kill this mechanic? Who was it so I never go?
I would hold them resposible unless I knew that I hit a massive pot hole or caught some serious air! I think its lame how mechanics are so rough on cars sometimes! I was watching the mechanic pull my throttle control assembly off my car and he was just ripping on it! He freaking destroyed one of the intake boots and then said it was already like that!

By the way shouldn't be hard to weld that back on.
Old 01-24-07, 10:25 AM
djdoughboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4.0
Ok,

Here is what I found by going to another autoshop:

The front left side of the sway bar connection is completely disconnected, actually the mounting of it to the wish bone is completely broken! The mechanic showed me the broken piece and my sway bar was just dangling in the air. He couldn't figure out why it would have broken off unless pressure was put on it for some reason.

So, I am putting it out to you guys to see if anyone have any idea why this would happen. My thought is the previous mechanic that repaired my tranny must have done something when they pulled out the left front axle to get to it. Do you guys think that it is reasonable to assume that they broke it and make them responsible? Any thoughts or suggestion regarding what I should do?

Again, yes... I do think the mechanic was at fault here... its pretty difficult to break the sway bar unless like the previous post said... you were competing in the Baja 1000 with your lex...

I've seen bent ones caused by pot holes or curbs hit... but to break one... you really have to smash it...

My opinion... again... hold this shop responsible. hope that helps... sorry to hear things going this way for you
Old 01-24-07, 11:55 AM
cino135
Driver

if possible, document everything, IE receipts, bills and take digi photos if you can. that way, in worst case scenerio, small claims court would have no qualms with granting you the cost of having it fixed properly. hopefully it wouldnt go that far, but if it were to become that troublesome, it shows youre on top of every process and its not just something that is a he said she said issue. as far as the tie rod ends busting, it would have to be some heavy direct hits to break it, UNLESS it were to be faulty from the factory (of which i very seriously doubt). good luck with this ongoing process.
Old 01-25-07, 09:26 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the support, guys. I have called the autoshop which worked on my tranny and he said to bring the car back and will take a look at it. I will bring it in this Sat. so will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-27-07, 09:34 AM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from the shop this morning, the mechanic took the broken mounting and wield it together. He installed it back and it looks good. When I drove home, the same issue is back. I checked the mounting when I got home and it's still in place. I am at a complete lost and really tired of this. Anyone knows what else it could be . . .bearing, tie rod, rack . . . etc?
Old 01-27-07, 09:32 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Have the dealer check out your power steering rack. I had the same problem with my old Avalon after my dad smacked it into a curb going about 25-30 mph. Had it aligned 3 times and it still pulled to the right, and through left turns the wheel would slip and it felt like the wheels were going to roll into the car as it shifted from one side to the other. Steering felt like new again with the new rack. Its possible that the shop hit a curb or large pothole while road testing it, but I doubt they would ever own up to it.
Old 01-31-07, 12:53 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

MCG33, you hit it right on the nose on this one! I brought it to NTB to see whether they could figure things out and sure enough, it was the power steering rack bushings that was loose. My steering rack was literally shifting as he was turning the tires left and right. On top of that, my inner tie rod ends are a bit loose. Does anyone know of a DIY on this?
Old 02-02-07, 10:36 PM
GS4.0
Driver School Candidate

Alright, I locked down the two bolts that was holding the rack. On the driver side, I had to tighten it about half a turn and on the passenger side, I tighten it a quarter turn. The rack is now locked down and my problem is solved!!! Now I just need to bring it to NTB and get it realign and I'll be all set. Thanks to all who participated in this saga. Another good work at CL!!