ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Occaisional Fuel leak in engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 08:57 PM
Gliderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occaisional Fuel leak in engine compartment

I have a friend with a 2000 ES300. Three times since she bought it in September 06, it has had a fuel leak in the engine compartment. It only happens at startup, and it doesn't leak any more if you shut it down and restart the car. If you leave it running, it will drip off the drivers side of the engine at about 1 drop per second.

It has been to the dealer three times, and it is going on its third week there this time. They don't seem to have a clue what to do. They have replaced the injector o-rings twice, and are just wanting to give the car back to her without doing anything.

I have seen several other threads on fuel smells and some others on leaks. Anyone else battled a leak like this? I suspect a pressure regulator not doing its job, but you would think that if a line has split, it would leak all the time. It is almost like something has to fail to make the pressure go high, and maybe it leaks out the connection of the hose to the fuel rails. But when the pressure is normal, the leak is gone.

Any advice on what it might be (please, no advice on "don't take it to those quacks!") greatly appreciated.

Steve
Wichita, KS
Old 02-01-07, 09:25 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Check the fuel pulsation dampener. Its along the fuel line just before the fuel rail. There shoud be some sort of gasket there.
Old 02-02-07, 05:39 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I should look into this. It might explain my 17 mpg

Is this a common issue with these vehicles?
Old 02-02-07, 07:23 PM
Gliderman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion. I did take a look at the pulsation damper after the car was at the shop and the big cover had been removed. It was dry, and there wasn't any evidence of a leak there.

I gave my friend a list of things I thought the dealer should do. She asked if they would like to see it, and they said "Sure." I quoted a few things from a Chilton manual, and their service manager called her back and said that I obviously had no idea how the fuel system works. Seems he doesn't either. Friggin idiot. Amazing. It has had fuel leaks, and they won't put a pressure gauge on it to see what the pressure really is. All they know how to do is hook up a code reader, and start the car.

As to the commonness of the issue, I don't know. But, go to the "Maintenance" section and see how many threads there are on "fuel smell". I don't think I saw one where there was a resolution posted, but there seemed to be a lot of reports of fuel smell and some of fuel leaks under the hood.

Steve
Old 04-25-07, 04:26 PM
Gliderman
Driver School Candidate

Did it again. This time, it was the pulsation dampener. They previously replaced the hose from the filter to the fuel rail. This time, got pictures and video to show the dealer.

Good thing, because when it was started the next morning, no leaks. Ever seen a pulsation dampener leak, then heal itself?

Steve
Old 04-25-07, 07:36 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Leak? No. But it's just a plate with a spring behind it. No reason why it couldn't
Old 06-07-07, 09:40 PM
green96es
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gliderman
Ever seen a pulsation dampener leak, then heal itself?

Steve
Yes I have! my pulsation dampener does it about once every three weeks and its pissing me off. I would replace it but dont know how to get it off, the space in there is so tight. Any suggestions on how to get the dam thing off. This is on a 97 es. Thanks.