ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 09:52 PM
tripurari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a quick fix for spotting: roughen up the tip of your LEDs with sandpaper so that light diffuses out of it instead of emerging in a well defined beam. This reduces spotting, but does not eliminate it completely.

Another idea - and I haven't tried this - is to paint a tiny silver spot over center of the LED. This will block some of the light emerging from the brightest part of the LED and spread it around.
Old 05-26-09, 05:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this mod with #74 LEDs from warden_jp2002 on ebay. Works very well. The back 3 connectors were a PITA though. I got the blue one off by hand but the others I had to use a penny to keep from cutting my thumb. Otherwise it went very well. Still going to try to custom LED it by hand like Ayrianna did but thats for another day. I think tiny SMD's under each number will work just as well

Thanks for the DIY, although my cluster wasn't dimming like everyone elses, I love the look of LEDs
Old 05-26-09, 09:33 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Just did this mod with #74 LEDs from warden_jp2002 on ebay. Works very well. The back 3 connectors were a PITA though. I got the blue one off by hand but the others I had to use a penny to keep from cutting my thumb. Otherwise it went very well. Still going to try to custom LED it by hand like Ayrianna did but thats for another day. I think tiny SMD's under each number will work just as well

Thanks for the DIY, although my cluster wasn't dimming like everyone elses, I love the look of LEDs
Glad you found it useful!
Old 11-04-09, 06:53 AM
obnxsh
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys...

This thread is great! However I have encountered an issue, exactly the same as Parker gen had.

I removed one of the 8 green bulbs to replace them with LED's, yet the same as Parker gen I realized I bought the wrong ones. I put the bulb back in and assembled the cluster exactly how I pulled it apart and found that only the 8 for the back light aren't working. ALL of the other ones are working (Especially the AirBag light )

Anybody have any idea? I have tried pulling it apart again and checking the bulbs, making sure they are all locked in tight and I made sure the bolts that hold the circuits together are tight but not too much.

I am stressing over this as I can't drive at night!!

Hope someobody can help.

Cheers,

Josh
Old 11-04-09, 08:07 AM
obnxsh
Driver School Candidate

Ahhh the verdict - all 8 bulbs have decided to blow when I connect the cluster back.... Hence the confusion. Unlucky.

Sorry to drag up the thread again!
Old 01-02-10, 11:10 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bulbs burnt out....
Will these bulb & bases work? http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2F74_t15.htm
I wanted to try the SMD led b/c they are shorter so there is more clearance from the bulb end and the guage face for hopefully, more even light distribution.
The max size they have is T 1-1/2
Old 01-02-10, 12:37 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

It looks from the picture like they should fit. But if not, you should be able to just plug your new LEDS into your old socket bases.
Old 01-05-10, 06:59 PM
trk1
Rookie

so i had two led left from the diy and wondering where else i could use the leds. the courtesy lights on the driver and passenger door or how about the license plate holder?
Old 01-05-10, 07:24 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Heres my cluster to my 1996 ES when I use to have it, I installed 64 LEDs in it that had a 120 degree angle. This is the kind of work lextech.org does and its alot of work but worth all 10 hours I spent soldering those lights in there behind the cluster.
Attached Thumbnails ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs-3.jpg  
Old 01-05-10, 07:26 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone confirm the socket size = T 1 3/4 or T 1 1/2?
Old 01-05-10, 07:42 PM
sbristow84
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Removing the cluster ('92-'96) ES300:

IMPORTANT TIP: If the ignition key is turned while the cluster is disconnected from the dash, the airbag light inside the cluster will come on and stay on once the cluster is reconnected. So as a precaution, I recommend you disconnect your negative battery terminal before starting the project, just to play it safe. EXCEPTION: those who still have the factory radio installed and don't know their radio's 3-digit security code. Disconnecting the battery will lock up the radio until the security code is entered.
When i bought my car the airbag light was on but nobody can figure out why! Is there a way to get the light to go off in case the car was turned on with the cluster removed?
Old 01-06-10, 09:58 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by sbristow84
When i bought my car the airbag light was on but nobody can figure out why! Is there a way to get the light to go off in case the car was turned on with the cluster removed?
Airbag Warning Light Fix:
info provided by VQT and intellexual.net

WARNING: this manual fix should only be attempted if you are absolutely certain that the airbag warning light was tripped by a code 22 error. A code 22 error occurs when the ignition is powered up without the gauge cluster plugged into the wiring harness (starting the car without the gauge cluster in place). The brain runs a diagnostic check and does not receive feedback from the airbag, causing a fault. If this is not the reason your airbag warning light is on, then it is strongly recommended that you do not perform this fix. Take your car to a dealership or service center to be diagnosed and properly fixed; there could be a real and major problem with your airbag system.

First, you need to know the trouble code. Locate either of the two diagnositic ports in your car. One is attached to the engine block, and the other is underneath the driver dash by the auxiliary fuse box. There should be a black plastic cover labelled 'Diagnostic' or 'DLC2'. The following procedure must be performed perfectly in order to work...

STEP 1: Turn the ignition on for approximately 20 seconds, but do not start the engine.

STEP 2: Stick a wire or paper clip in the Tc & E1 pinholes of the DLC2.

STEP 3: If the light blinks continuosly or code 22 (two fast blinks, a pause, then two more fast blinks), then you can probably manually cancel the warning light. If it is any other code, you need to trouble shoot it and fix the problem.

STEP 4: To clear the code connect two wires to Tc and AB of the DLC2.

STEP 5: Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and wait approximately 6 seconds.

STEP 6: Start with the Tc terminal and apply a wire to body ground alternately to Tc and AB twice each in cycles of 0.5 - 1.0 seconds.

STEP 7: Finally keep Tc to ground. If the clearing is done properly, then the airbag light will blink in 50 msec incriments continously. If it did not, then you didn't ground the Tc and AB properly. Repeat the process. The procedure may take between 3 to 15 attempts to work.
Old 01-06-10, 10:06 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Can someone confirm the socket size = T 1 3/4 or T 1 1/2?
I believe the correct socket size is T 1 3/4
Old 01-06-10, 12:06 PM
trk1
Rookie

great thread, i had a problem with the led bulbs(286) they were loose and wiggling around, so i took the terminals and turned it into a "V" shape. after that it stayed in place

The wiring harness was a PIA! but i finally got them off using the lexus key.i pretty much did the diy using my lexus key and a phillips!

i went with the spark blue LED and kinda wish i didn't, it looks cool at night and weird during the day. I think white would have been a better choice.
Attached Thumbnails ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs-100106-142606.jpg  
Old 01-10-10, 10:31 AM
13xus
Driver School Candidate

Default help!!!

hey Lexucan, if i remove the (-) of battery, will the radio security code pop up and in case if it happened what do i have to do? thanks

Quick Reply: ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs