ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacing License Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 11:27 AM
MAP1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing License Plate Light

I am pretty clueless when it comes to working on the car but here goes. Can someone tell me before I take my 93 Lexus 300 ES to get robbed by the local dealership, how do I get to the license plate light so I can replace it. Go ahead and have a good laugh. I can follow directions and get it done just clueless where to start. I am guessing someone is going to tell me I have to unscrew the metal wall (not sure of correct term) behind the lights. looks like about 5 screws and then the entire panel comes off exposing all rear lights? Am I completely off base?

MAP1
Old 04-04-07, 12:45 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAP1
I am pretty clueless when it comes to working on the car but here goes. Can someone tell me before I take my 93 Lexus 300 ES to get robbed by the local dealership, how do I get to the license plate light so I can replace it. Go ahead and have a good laugh. I can follow directions and get it done just clueless where to start. I am guessing someone is going to tell me I have to unscrew the metal wall (not sure of correct term) behind the lights. looks like about 5 screws and then the entire panel comes off exposing all rear lights? Am I completely off base?

MAP1
.....okay, now that we got that out of the way....

There are like 5 nuts that need to be taken off inside the trunk behind the tailights (on each side) so you can pull the whole exterior taillight assemblies out away from the rear of the car to reach the bulb sockets. Pull back the trunk lining and you will see them...I think they are 8mm nuts. A few of them are a bit tricky to get at with pliers so you might need a socket wrench for them. The license plate lights are #168 (pretty sure).

Last edited by Lexucan; 04-04-07 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 12:47 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking to myself, "Why type it all out again when I found it with my first search?" This guy says it well. "Search" is your buddy!

EDIT [Fughedabout the quote I had here previously. Doesn't apply well enough]
Here's a good thread where a guy was struggling with the same task.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 04-04-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 01:09 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Why type it all out again when I found it with my first search? This guy says it well. "Search" is your buddy!
The '93 ES300 doesn't have license plate lights under the trunk lid, they are to the left and right of the external taillight assemblies.

Here is a link to some pics of where to look for the nuts you need to remove. I thought it was 5 nuts but the tutorial says 4.....he could be right.

http://www.luxurymods.com/tutorial13.htm

He says to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the taillight assembly away from the car once you have the nuts off. I'd be careful about trying that...could mess up your paint job or your lights! I would just grab hold of the assembly with my hands and wiggle and pull on it instead. The assemby is sometimes stubborn to loosen up but if all the nuts are off, it will come away from the car with a bit of work.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-07, 01:33 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Yeah, I think you and I were typing replies at the same time, Lexucan.
That wasn't referring to your post (when I hit "reply" your post wasn't even in there; that was a rhetorical kinda question.

Nice catch on the difference.

I replaced my license plate lights this weekend with LEDs, Map1. It's really easy. The most stressful part is pulling off the plastic cover that allows access behind the carpet on the rear wall of the trunk. You swear you're gonna break something while pulling it off. But you can do it and you'll be glad you didn't spend money at the stealership!
Old 04-04-07, 02:00 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Yeah, I think you and I were typing replies at the same time, Lexucan.
That wasn't referring to your post (when I hit "reply" your post wasn't even in there; that was a rhetorical kinda question.
yeah, I figured that's what happened. lol

I replaced my license plate lights this weekend with LEDs, Map1. It's really easy. The most stressful part is pulling off the plastic cover that allows access behind the carpet on the rear wall of the trunk. You swear you're gonna break something while pulling it off. But you can do it and you'll be glad you didn't spend money at the stealership!
I ordered LEDs for my license plate lights last week from an e-bay store.
Kinda ticked me off though - I mailed him a money order the day after I bought them and then I got a notice from ebay yesterday saying the seller (Vleds) has started a dispute process against me 'cause he hasn't received payment yet! Like WTF!....Impatient or what! So I had to e-mail him and tell him to not get his shorts in a knot, the money is coming!...LOL All that for $10 freakin' bucks!
But I really like the look of the white/blue LEDs at the rear....looks so cool!
Old 04-04-07, 02:54 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Agreed! I've been MOST pleased with the decision to transition to LEDs wherever possible. Map1, I highly suggest ordering the LEDs (I used BanzaiExpress.com for mine, but they're on eBay as Lexucan relates) to replace the license plate lights and the trunk light while you're back there.
Old 04-04-07, 04:01 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Last time i checked..they were 194 bulbs??
Old 04-04-07, 05:34 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Actually, I think they're 168 bulbs IIRC. Replaced one of them not too long ago on our '96 which has the same license plate light setup. Yes, it isn't the easiest to access, but do a search since that's what I did and I found the info needed.
Old 04-04-07, 05:36 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On sylvania's site they have a tool that tells you what every bulb is for every car.http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/
Old 04-04-07, 05:37 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Oh and get the hyper white led ones on ebay they won't ever blow and look hot.
Old 04-04-07, 05:42 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Check out these man i should have just done one big post http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-...95053221QQrdZ1
Old 04-05-07, 02:11 PM
iDrive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what ur saying is... We take out the taillight and not the big o' piece of metal right? lol
Old 04-05-07, 03:37 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

IF you don't have the car up on a lift and the TIG welder handy, you're not going to get those enormous bulbs changed!