ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buzzing noise coming from engine?!? 95 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 03:29 PM
isiginamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buzzing noise coming from engine?!? 95 ES300

Hi all!!! First of all I love my car, these Lexus' are a great cars. I Bought this 1995 ES300 last year, a retired lady traded it in with 128K, all maintenence done regularly at a Lexus dealer, and the engine had alot of work done to it about 100K mark including the timing belt, tune-up, filter changes, etc. The car now has 136K and is running strong.

When I start the car is has an odd higher pitch buzzing noise that stays while at idle, does not sound like a metallic sound. I live in Iowa, and during the winter, if the car was very cold, around 0-20 degrees, it would be a louder more high pitch sound until it warmed up.

The only issues with the car is the AC will only stay cold for a few minutes before cycling itself off. I think I need to recharge the system....

O yA... one other thing that scares me... hope not too bad... I noticed just last couple weeks that while the car was cold it didn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. When it did, it shifted fine, it just held the gear longer than normal... I had to tap the gas to get it to engage the 3rd gear. Its happened a few times. Now its fine.

I know long thread, just what ya'll to know everything going on, maybe help me better diagnose it. Thanks for all your help!!
Old 04-19-07, 05:08 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by isiginamo
Hi all!!! First of all I love my car, these Lexus' are a great cars. I Bought this 1995 ES300 last year, a retired lady traded it in with 128K, all maintenence done regularly at a Lexus dealer, and the engine had alot of work done to it about 100K mark including the timing belt, tune-up, filter changes, etc. The car now has 136K and is running strong.

When I start the car is has an odd higher pitch buzzing noise that stays while at idle, does not sound like a metallic sound. I live in Iowa, and during the winter, if the car was very cold, around 0-20 degrees, it would be a louder more high pitch sound until it warmed up.

The only issues with the car is the AC will only stay cold for a few minutes before cycling itself off. I think I need to recharge the system....

O yA... one other thing that scares me... hope not too bad... I noticed just last couple weeks that while the car was cold it didn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. When it did, it shifted fine, it just held the gear longer than normal... I had to tap the gas to get it to engage the 3rd gear. Its happened a few times. Now its fine.

I know long thread, just what ya'll to know everything going on, maybe help me better diagnose it. Thanks for all your help!!
Check your tranny fluid and if it isnt too burnt, change it. Dexron III. Its supposed to be changed every 30K.

AC hoses are porous and desinged to SLOWLY leak so being a 95, if the system has no leaks you can recharge with R134a. Fortunately for my r12 system I do an evac & recharge every spring and I "borrow" the r12 from my work.

Where is your noise cominf from? Under the hood? Inside the car? Its not unusual for an alternator to whine after cold start up because of all the amps you sucked out of the battery. Check belts & pulleys and you can take a mechanics stethiscope and see where its coming from. (Watch out for belts, fans etc) lol

Oh if you cant get a stethitscope, take a long screwdriver and put your ear on the handle and start poking around. Youll know it when you hit the spot.

Good luck and welcome to CL

BTW 136K is nothing for a well maintained ES 300. Its just a baby!
Old 04-19-07, 05:09 PM
Instructor

If it's a buzz, or more like a humming noise... it's the air compressor
Old 04-20-07, 12:32 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

A cold tranny will hesitate to shift, and will have higher RPMS. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-20-07, 03:34 PM
isiginamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya!!

OK... I bought the recharge kit for my AC... looks pretty easy. Should I change the transmission fluid myself or should I take it to the dealer. The nearest Lexus dealer is hours away... maybe Toyota dealer?

The buzzing noise comes from the engine bay, not too sure where... I will have to snoop around some...

THANX FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

Last edited by isiginamo; 04-20-07 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 06:06 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by isiginamo
Hiya!!

OK... I bought the recharge kit for my AC... looks pretty easy. Should I change the transmission fluid myself or should I take it to the dealer. The nearest Lexus dealer is hours away... maybe Toyota dealer?

The buzzing noise comes from the engine bay, not too sure where... I will have to snoop around some...

THANX FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!
You can change it yourself; its a simple drain & fill and no harder than an oil change. Not sure of the capacity of the Automatic but its probably around 3 qts or so. Start with 2 1/2, shift it through all the gears and check the level hot. Drive it around and recheck it. Use Dexron III only tho