ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Getting Subs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 03:39 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getting Subs

need help getting subs... but im keeping the stock H U

now does the amp need the remote line??? or is there something i can use instead?

and is there ne thing else that i need to know if im keeping the stock head unit.......
Old 04-24-07, 03:48 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a mono block amp and a line level converter so you can piggyback onto the stock sub hookup.
Old 04-24-07, 05:31 PM
TeamAM
Driver

i wanna put this in my 97 es. but i dont exactly know how. i dont even know what amp to get. can anyone help? thanks

Old 04-24-07, 05:44 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure the box fits first! Buy all your install cables then your gonna have to find a remote turn on for the amp.
A JL 500 mono amp would do nice.
Are you putting 1 or 2 subs?
Old 04-24-07, 05:47 PM
TeamAM
Driver

the box fits.
what kind of cables do i need? guage? im a total noob when it comes to car audio. =\

oh,and im only using one sub, i might be a new box.
Old 04-24-07, 06:01 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Look to buy an amplifier kit 4 or 2 gauge, I would go for a new box
check online
Old 04-24-07, 06:09 PM
TeamAM
Driver

^^ thanks.

You need a mono block amp and a line level converter so you can piggyback onto the stock sub hookup.

can someone elaborate?

i checked out the line level converter, but do i bout it together with my stock amp?
Old 04-24-07, 06:29 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TeamAM
^^ thanks.

can someone elaborate?

i checked out the line level converter, but do i bout it together with my stock amp?
Yea there are two wires that hookup to the stock sub just cut those. Then hook it up to the line level converter then hook that into the amp. After that its a standard sub setup.
Old 04-24-07, 06:34 PM
TeamAM
Driver

so i hook up the wire to the converter, then the converter to the amp, then the amp to the subs? both stock and the mtx?
Old 04-24-07, 10:20 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

so i hook up the wire to the converter, then the converter to the amp, then the amp to the subs? both stock and the mtx?
Give it a try with em both I would like to know how it turns out worst case you blow your stock one. Oh and sprint phone I see what one did ya get I can't quite see in the pic.
Old 04-25-07, 06:50 AM
TeamAM
Driver

damn im so lost. i dont want to break anything. this is my first and only car. haha im young so this is probably the best thing im going to have for a while.

um i have a ppc-6700. my dad works for sprint so i get a whole bunch of free stuff.

i actually have a samsung mm a940 im selling NDS
Old 04-25-07, 08:53 AM
TeamAM
Driver

i also have another question.

if i fill in my box with another sub, will i have to get a 2 channel sub now? can i still connect those to the line level converter then to the stock sub and wiring? lol im so lost on these things. i need help. what i want to do is have 2 mtx subs and use my stock sub also. is that possible?
Old 04-25-07, 10:23 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Ok teamam have you ever installed subs before? Idk If you can make the stock one work at the same time I would try it and if you break the stock oh well its better than disconecting it and not knowing at all.
Old 04-25-07, 01:50 PM
TeamAM
Driver

no, i have never installed anything regarding car audio before.. so i guess im not even going to try. haha oh well.
Old 04-25-07, 02:40 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Cool

no, i have never installed anything regarding car audio before.. so i guess im not even going to try. haha oh well.
No need for that I just wanted to know where to begin. Ok so first you need power cables, amp fuse, amp fuse holder, 2 power distibution blocks or D-blocks as most call them, some high quality speaker wire, hook up wire, spade connectors, and a cool switch with a led in it. I would go with monster here where ever you can I had monster 6 gauge and it was rated to be able to work like a 2 gauge. There are two ways you can do the power.

First and this is supposed to be the best way but harder to do.

1. Run two power wires from where you are putting your amp to as behind the wheel as you can reach. Then cut the two lenghts about 4 feet longer then that you will cut it to size later remember you can always cut away but not add more.

2. Now take the wire out and attach what I belive its called on eye on the end of each wire.

3. Next we have to get both wires trough the firewall. There usually is a boot that has a lot of wires already going through it you can try that. If not you have to drill a fresh hole. Now before you feed it through you need to figure out what one you are using for ground and what one for power. When you figure that out label each end with a sharpie. Now feed the end without the eye on it through your hole or boot.

4. Rerun the wire to where your amp is going

5. Now if you are going to possibly wire more stuff in your car here is where you will need your 2 D-blocks. Screw your amp to the back of your woofers box and the two D-blocks as well.

5. Wire the power and ground wire to its applicable D-block. Then take a short power wire and attach it to one of the D-blocks ports and run one for the power and ground.

6. Next just wire the amp to the woofers If your gonna have 2 woofers its easyer to use a two channel there is a way to do this with a mono block i'm just not sure how. So now just hook up the speaker wires. Left positive to the positive on the left woofer, left negative to the negative on the left woofer. Now just do the same for the right.

7. Here is where your line level converter comes into play. You can try to piggyback and keep the stock woofer working or cut it out all together. So just cut the wire and attach it to the line level converter. Then just hook up the red and yellow to the amp.

8. Now you need to run your remote wire. Rember the D-block here is where it makes stuff easy. On your amp there sound be a spot that says rem or remote attach one of your hook up wires to it and run it to where you want your switch for your amp (You don't want it all the time exspecailly when the PO PO is near). Next run a a power and ground wire from your D-block to where you want your switch. Now just hook up the switch.

9. Go back under the hood and cut the power wire where you want your fuse and put in the fuse.

10. Before this step I would go back and check all your connections and make sure you have nothing that could short. Disconnect the ground wire from the car battery and put the screw for the battery trough your eye on the ground wire. Now just screw back in the ground wire. Now do the same for the power. You may need to replace the screw with a longer one and don't worry if its to long just use some washers as spacers.

11. Turn on your car flip the switch and enjoy

Oh and the other way is the same but instead of using the battery as a ground you just ground somewhere to the body of a car. This isn't always as good because you need to make sure where you ground to is a good ground.

Let me know if you have a problem at psnyderii@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Getting Subs