ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

suspension question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 10:24 PM
mike.gani
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question.

Hi guys,

I'm planning to change my Lexus ES300 '02 wheels to 19"s. Haven't got the rims, though.

Will there be a problem, If I use lowering springs without changing my shock absorber? Because some friends of mine said thats fine while others said I could "break" the shock as I compressed the springs. I don't know, so could you guys who know about this give me a clue for that. People suggest me to go with coil over, but I don't have such an easy grand to spend. so, yeah.

Thanks in advance, anyway!
Old 05-04-07, 11:28 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know either. maybe someone can chime in on this. because i am about 95% positive that it would be ok. but then again, youre adding so much more weight, and overall diameter. id say youd be fine.
Charley
Old 05-04-07, 11:39 PM
mike.gani
Driver

yeah, thanks anyway, Char.
Old 05-05-07, 09:11 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

from my experience. lowering springs on stock struts tend to cause premature leakage. Not sure if its the fact that the strut isnt fully extended when in the resting position. or what exactly but i have heard the same. But hey if that happens, you upgrade your struts.

~R
Old 05-05-07, 09:18 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
But hey if that happens, you upgrade your struts.

~R
That's the exact point where I am confused.

For example:
  • I have stock struts on my ES right now (like Mike).
  • Let's say I then have lowering springs installed along with new struts, say KYBs just to make them "aftermarket" (though not technically, I know).
How are the aftermarket struts with the lowering springs any less compressed/not fully extended while at rest than the stock strut?

Please help me understand this.
Old 05-05-07, 09:20 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

my only guess is that some aftermarket would run into the same issue. but if you were to pickup a strut that has a closer manufacturing tollerance for the internal components of the strut, maybe it would last longer.
Old 05-05-07, 09:23 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

So your only hope for prolonging the life of any strut coupled with lowering springs is to have a strut that's specifically manufactured to go with the new spring (in terms of length, etc.)?

Kind of sounds like a coilover, which is a specifically paired shock/strut and spring, right?
Old 05-05-07, 09:38 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

yeah the coilovers are usually a nicely matched pair. the nice thing is you can fully adjust the coilovers made for our cars. and also change the dampening.
Old 05-05-07, 12:00 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Mike it sounds like the eternal autophile conflict:

The bad expense, (potentially/probable?) harsher ride and excellent handling of coilovers

vs

The better (less) expense, good handling, good ride and (possible/probable?) long-term durability compromise of shocks/struts and lowering springs.

I've also read, more regularly on my Legacy forum (LegacyGT.com) that the coilovers require periodic rebuilding.

3rdElement is especially knowledgeable in this because he's one of the rare owners who's had BOTH.

Have we helped you at all?
Old 05-05-07, 12:31 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Im Special!
Lol And Broke Now

Someone Buy My Coilovers!

But Yeah Coilovers Rock For Height Adjustment And Handling.
Loving My Tokico And Eibachs Though. To Bad I Lean Alot Around Corners.
Old 05-05-07, 04:12 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what size drop are you looking for and what springs are you going with? I say any spring that drops you more than an inch requires an aftermarket shock, whether it be kyb or tokico. Off the top of my head, I know that tanabe makes the nf210 (about 1 inch drop) and the df210 (about 2 inch drop).

I've had several different combos on my car:

tanabe df210 springs w/ stock shocks (shocks lasted about 2 weeks )
tanabe df210 springs w/ kyb-gr2's
tein s-tech springs w/kyb-gr2's
ksport coilovers
jic coilovers

IMO, you should go ahead and get aftermarket shocks if you plan on lowering your car at all. keep your stock suspension for later if you decide to go back to stock. Stock shocks will last a month with lowering springs if you're lucky.

another thing you should consider are the wheels you plan on buying. What width and what offset? This is important because theres a possibility that the inside of the wheel will rub against the shock assembly.

if you do go the coilover route, be prepared to sacrifice some ride quality. You get handling and full adjustability but lose some comfort in the process. In the short run, the shock/spring combo will be cheaper but in the long run, the coilover route will definitely be cheaper. Long entry but I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-06-07, 01:43 AM
mike.gani
Driver

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Mike it sounds like the eternal autophile conflict:

The bad expense, (potentially/probable?) harsher ride and excellent handling of coilovers

vs

The better (less) expense, good handling, good ride and (possible/probable?) long-term durability compromise of shocks/struts and lowering springs.

I've also read, more regularly on my Legacy forum (LegacyGT.com) that the coilovers require periodic rebuilding.

3rdElement is especially knowledgeable in this because he's one of the rare owners who's had BOTH.

Have we helped you at all?

yeah2.. so you prefer spring+shock rather than coil over, is that what you're trying to say, right? yeah2..
Old 05-06-07, 01:49 AM
mike.gani
Driver

Originally Posted by PlatES300
what size drop are you looking for and what springs are you going with? I say any spring that drops you more than an inch requires an aftermarket shock, whether it be kyb or tokico. Off the top of my head, I know that tanabe makes the nf210 (about 1 inch drop) and the df210 (about 2 inch drop).

I've had several different combos on my car:

tanabe df210 springs w/ stock shocks (shocks lasted about 2 weeks )
tanabe df210 springs w/ kyb-gr2's
tein s-tech springs w/kyb-gr2's
ksport coilovers
jic coilovers

IMO, you should go ahead and get aftermarket shocks if you plan on lowering your car at all. keep your stock suspension for later if you decide to go back to stock. Stock shocks will last a month with lowering springs if you're lucky.

another thing you should consider are the wheels you plan on buying. What width and what offset? This is important because theres a possibility that the inside of the wheel will rub against the shock assembly.

if you do go the coilover route, be prepared to sacrifice some ride quality. You get handling and full adjustability but lose some comfort in the process. In the short run, the shock/spring combo will be cheaper but in the long run, the coilover route will definitely be cheaper. Long entry but I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks man. now i know much about the consequences of using the stock shock. yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the spring+shock..oow2,. where do you guys buy the after market shock + spring, though?

Actually, I'm still looking for the rims now, I'm thinking about Fabulous profound 2, 19"..but I haven't found one. oo yeah, anyway, what do you mean by short or long run?
Old 05-06-07, 11:40 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had the gr2/tanabe setup, the shocks lasted me about 2 years give or take. Even before 2 years, you could tell the shocks were getting worn down. So within 2 or so years, you would have to replace the shocks with new ones. I haven't had my coilovers for too long so I don't know how they will hold up, but I know alot of other people who have gone years with coilovers without having to replace/rebuild them
Old 05-06-07, 11:56 AM
mike.gani
Driver

Originally Posted by PlatES300
When I had the gr2/tanabe setup, the shocks lasted me about 2 years give or take. Even before 2 years, you could tell the shocks were getting worn down. So within 2 or so years, you would have to replace the shocks with new ones. I haven't had my coilovers for too long so I don't know how they will hold up, but I know alot of other people who have gone years with coilovers without having to replace/rebuild them
ic ic..I get it now. mm, may I know where do you buy the shock/spring?

Quick Reply: suspension question.