ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fog Light Switch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 01:59 PM
MASH835
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now using the voltmeter check continuity of pin #1 and #2 of the relay (the silver pins). if you got continuity:

(1) use two 12AWG wires and connect them as follow:
- from pin #1 of relay to its place in socket (female #1)
- from pin #2 of relay to its place in socket (female #2)
- leave other pins of relay unconnected.
(2) switch on headlights and fog lights.
(3) using voltmeter, check voltage by connecting +ve lead of voltmeter to pin #2 of the relay (while relay is connected to the socket using the wires), and connect -ve lead to ground. if the fog switch is working, you should get 12v reading.
(4) if you get 12v reading in above step, check continuity of pin #3 and pin#4 of the relay. if relay is working you should get continuity.

Pic below shows how i connect the relay to wires using connector when i do the fog mod (connectors are pushed all the way
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-fog-relay-connections.jpg  
Old 06-10-07, 12:30 PM
MASH835
Driver

BTW, in step 3 above if switch off the fog light you will get no voltage and when you switch it on you get 12v reading (assuming the switch is working).
Old 06-12-07, 10:58 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Relay pin #1 and pin #5 lights up. Pin #2 and pin #3 does not light up. When I put the 12v tester to pin #2, it makes a clicking noise from on the relay. I tried to turn the fog light switch on and off, and the 12v tester lights up when it's on and off. When I first put it to pin #3 it lit up then went out, I thought it was just a loose connection, so I checked the wires and did it agian, and this time it didn't light up.

Last edited by Baybarea; 06-12-07 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 10:06 AM
MASH835
Driver

Sorry if I am putting too many steps for you. Just trying to figure out which part is causing the problem. Let me explain to you what we are doing so you can also follow with me. Looking to the pic below we checked the following so far:

(1) Fog light Fuse + Wire harness #1 (from fog fuse to relay) : we checked this part and it is working.
(2) Headlight Fuse + Wire harness #2 (from HL fuse to relay): Checked and working.
(3) Wire harness #3 (from relay to bulbs) + fog bulbs: checked - one bulb needs to be replaced.
(4) Wire harness #4 (from relay to Fog switch) + fog switch: which I guess one of them is not working.

The fog relay itself looks working from the result we got.

BTW, in the relay socket #4 will always be +ve, while #1 will be +ve only when headlight are switched on.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-relay-2.gif  
Old 06-13-07, 10:11 AM
MASH835
Driver

If you want to confirm that, you can connect all the relay pins to thier position in the socket except for pin #2. If you connect pin #2 to ground and switched on the headlight the fogs should work.
Old 06-15-07, 05:42 PM
Baybarea
Driver

No need to apologize, I'm very thankful that you are helping me with this. Where can I find these wire harnesses and how can I tell if there is something wrong with them? The head light fuse and fog light fuse lights up with the 12v tester, but I just want to be sure the wire harness is okay.
Old 06-15-07, 05:50 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Durring all these test, I've been pulling out and puting the fog light relay in the socket and have misplaced the fog light relay and am very upset with myself (sigh). Please forgive me I will find A.S.A.P.

Just a quick question for when I find the fog light relay and get back to you, I'll try to conect all the relay pins to there positions in the relay socket exept for pin #2. Do I ground fog pin #2 socket, or fog light relay pin #2?

Last edited by Baybarea; 06-15-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 12:49 PM
MASH835
Driver

Originally Posted by Baybarea
No need to apologize, I'm very thankful that you are helping me with this. Where can I find these wire harnesses and how can I tell if there is something wrong with them? The head light fuse and fog light fuse lights up with the 12v tester, but I just want to be sure the wire harness is okay.
I am not sure how to check for wire harnesses. The only thing I can tell you to do is to check wire connectivity using voltmeter. I divided the wire harnesses of the fog light into 4 parts as I mentioned in the prev. post, 3 of them are working from the tests you have done so far.
To check for the 4th wire harness (from the relay socket to the fog switch) you need to check both ends of the wire. I think you will have to disassemble many parts, including lower panels, steering wheel cover, etc. I don't think reaching these parts is an easy job. Better if you have a repair manual to help you.

Just a quick question for when I find the fog light relay and get back to you, I'll try to connect all the relay pins to there positions in the relay socket except for pin #2. Do I ground fog pin #2 socket, or fog light relay pin #2?

Connect pin#2 of the relay NOT the socket, as in this pic, so you will bypass the 4th wire harness and the fog switch and when switch on the headlights the fogs will be switched on also.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-relay-check-1.gif  

Last edited by MASH835; 06-16-07 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 03:53 PM
MASH835
Driver

Any updates?
Old 07-01-07, 08:25 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Originally Posted by MASH835
Any updates?

Just recieved a fog light relay I bought on eBay that says Toyota Denso.
Old 07-01-07, 08:45 PM
Baybarea
Driver

[QUOTE=MASH835;2690719]If you want to confirm that, you can connect all the relay pins to thier position in the socket except for pin #2. If you connect pin #2 to ground and switched on the headlight the fogs should work.[/QUOTE

Yes. I can confirm that when pin #2 is grounded, the fog lights do come on and stay on even if the fog light switch is on or off.
Old 07-01-07, 08:47 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Originally Posted by MASH835
If you want to confirm that, you can connect all the relay pins to thier position in the socket except for pin #2. If you connect pin #2 to ground and switched on the headlight the fogs should work.
Yes. I can confirm that when pin #2 is grounded, the fog lights do come on and stay on even if the fog light switch is on or off.
Old 07-02-07, 04:31 AM
MASH835
Driver

OK, now you confirmed that the problem is in the wire harness between the fog relay (coming from pin #2 of the relay) and the fog switch, or in the fog switch itself.

Will try to bypass the wire harness and connect the relay to the switch directly. I'll just take some pics today and come back to you again.

BTW, the fog switch is part of the combination switch including headlight switch, high/flash beam, turn signals. So are all these functions working?
Old 07-02-07, 02:47 PM
MASH835
Driver

As mentioned above, we will try to bypass the wire harness and connect a wire from the relay to the switch. You need to remove the steering wheel cover first as follow:

1) Remove the 3 screws as in the pic. You will have to keep the engine running and turn the steering wheel left and right to get access to these screws. Switch off the engine when all screws are removed.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-steering-wheel-screws.jpg  

Last edited by MASH835; 07-02-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 02:54 PM
MASH835
Driver

2) Carefully remove the small triangular piece on the side. you can use a small flat screw driver with a slight force. Cover the screw driver head with a tape so you don't scratch or damage the plastic cover.
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-removing-steering-wheel-side-cover.jpg  

Last edited by MASH835; 07-02-07 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Switch Mod