ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fog Light Switch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-07 | 02:11 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Default Fog Light Switch Mod

I was trying to follow this DIY https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145544, and now my fog lights dont turn on. I tried to wire it from the fog relay to the one of the fuses in the fuse box and had it working but it would stay on even when I turned the car off and the headlights off. So I tried to move it to a different fuse and it just stop working.

I changed some fuses and still doesn't work. Checked and changed the fog light bulbs, still doesn't work. Is it possible to blow a relay? Two of the fuses in the fuse box don't light up when I check them even after changing them with brand new ones. Where did I go wrong?

Please HELP....... Fog lights don't turn on at all.
Old 05-17-07 | 02:46 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

I piggybacked the 12 volt accessory fuse, or cigg fuse i believe for the fog relay, If the lights stayed on after you shut off the car, you must have wired it to something always hot.
I'd start back from the beginning and put it back as normal first, to ensure everything is still functioning.

check out my old thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185549

Pin 1 is the only 1 that should change.
Old 05-18-07 | 11:01 PM
Baybarea
Driver

I tried to put everything back to normal and the fog lights are not functioning.
Old 05-19-07 | 01:41 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

it is possible that you might blown your intergrated relay. not sure if the 3rd gen have it though. if not, you might have cause a short or even melt your wire harness that's connected to the fuse box.

and if nottt... blown fog light relay

like you mention earlier... that you tried using a fuse tester and no light come on...

could mean that one or more wires are cross firing each other. . . what i mean is that you could have the polarity reverse or having a positive tapping on negative.. and remember negative is every metal that is touching the chassi. and everytime you replace the fuse..it just blow.

and if not... not sure if the 3rd gen have an extra fuse box under fuse box. but look underneath the steering column towards the left side. check that fuse too if you have it.

and if not.... your dead out of luck.

Old 05-27-07 | 10:46 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Pretty sure I didn't melt the wire harnesses. Where can I find the intergrated relay if it had one? Also what does it mean if I caused a short?

I took the fog light relay out and took off the plastic piece to it and everything looks okay. Also the thing with the wires cross firing each other, not quite sure what you mean but I haven't switched or changed any wires in doing this fog light mod but simply ran a wire from the fog light relay to a fuse in the fuse box.
Old 05-29-07 | 12:50 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Please HELP!!! PLease Please Help. Please Preatty Pretty Please HELP!!!!!
Old 06-05-07 | 03:22 AM
MASH835
Driver

Hi,

I hope it is not too late!

What year model is you car? Do you have DRL?
Is it only the fogs not working or also one/both headlights not working?
And can you explain in details how did you connect the wires from relay to socket, and how did you connect the wire from the fuse (which fuse) to relay?
Old 06-06-07 | 10:52 AM
Baybarea
Driver

1997 ES300 - No DRL - Both headlights work just the fog lights are out.

Here's how I did it:

1. Took out the fog light relay

2. Using a 18 guage automotive wire I spliced, wrapped it around the #1 pin and reconnected the fog light relay back into it's socket

3. Pulled out one of the fuses from the fuse box and then put the fuse back in trying to squeeze the other end of the automotive wire that I spiced.

4. Had it working but the fog lights would not turn off when I turn I turned the car off, pulled the keys out, or turn the head light/fog light switch off.

5. Then I tried to move it to a different fuse but it did not work so I disconnected the wire from the fuse and decided to try it agian tomorrow.

6. The next day, I wanted to see how it would look at night so I connected the wire back to the same fuse that it was working from the first time and drove to get some food 4-5 miles away from my home.

7. When I came back home, I tried to move it to a different fuse but fog lights did not come on, tried another fuse, fog lights did not come on, so I took out the automotive wire and put it back to normal and went to bed.

I didn't realize the fog lights weren't working till the next night when I was driving.

Last edited by Baybarea; 06-06-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-07 | 03:33 PM
MASH835
Driver

First, I am not sure if the 97 model are similar to 01 so will go according to what you mentioned and my little knowledge.

I think the problem is that after you wrapped the wire around pin #1 of the relay, you reconnected the relay to its socket. What you did is like connecting two positive wires together. I am not sure if this caused any damage to any of the electrical components. So better to check each component of the fog light electrical components one by one.

Assuming you put everything back to its normal case and you have a 12v tester or voltmeter with basic knowledge on how to use it. Also assuming the fog light relay and its socket look exactly the same as the pics in my post about how to do the fog mod. please follow the next steps:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Socket and relay pins.bmp (57.5 KB, 584 views)
Old 06-06-07 | 03:36 PM
MASH835
Driver

1. While the car is not running, remove the fog relay. Looking to the relay socket directly as in the attached pic above.Connect +ve lead of the voltmeter to female connector #4 of the socket and connect the -ve lead to ground. If you have 12v reading move to next step. If you get no reading the problem is either in the fog light fuse, or in the fog light wire harness. So first check the fog light fuse.

2. Using 12AWG wire, connect female connector #4 and #3 of the socket together. BE CAREFUL WHEN CONNECTING THESE TOGETHER AS YOU MAY SEE SPARKS SO JUST DO IT ONCE, QUICKLY AND THEN REMOVE THE WIRE. ALSO HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU TO CHECK IF FOG LIGHTS TURNED ON OR NOT. If the fogs turned ON move to next step; if not than problem is in the fog light bulbs, fog relay, or the wire harness.

3. Switch on the headlights and make sure they are ON. Connect +ve lead of the voltmeter to female connector #1 of the socket and -ve lead to ground. If you get 12v reading than problem can be in the fog relay, or fog light switch, or in the fog light wire harness. If you get no reading problem is either in the headlight fuse or in the wire harness. So again check headlight fuse first (which in the engine compartment).

4. When you checked all fuses, bulbs are working; It means problem is mostly in the relay, fog light wire harness, or the fog light switch (also called Combination Switch; low/high beam, turn signal and fog switch). The combination switch is the most expensive as far as I know from these components, while the fog relay is the cheapest.

BTW, I don't think the Integrated Relay is damaged, because if it is damaged you will notice other things not working such as interior lights, alarm , etc.
Old 06-07-07 | 10:04 PM
Baybarea
Driver

This is how my Fog light relay looks like. All pins stick out and are able to connect to socket but pin #4 is just flat or flush with the surface.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Fog light Relay.bmp (57.5 KB, 609 views)
Old 06-07-07 | 10:05 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Using the 12v meter tester I checked the fog/head light fuse and it was working. I put the 12v meter tester in the socket where the fog light relay goes and the only one that worked was pin socket # 5 In the picture here. How and where are the kinds of electrical compents do I check? Also, how and where can I find wire harnesses to check?

Please I really would like to Have my Fog Lights working again.
Old 06-08-07 | 02:32 AM
MASH835
Driver

Here is how my fog relay looks like. You can ignore pin (4) in your relay and use pin (5) as pin (4).
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Switch Mod-fog-relay-pins.gif  
Old 06-08-07 | 02:41 AM
MASH835
Driver

So you have 12v reading from (4) of the socket (which is #5 in your case). Did you try step 3 above? switch ON headlights and make sure they are working, then test (1) of the socket. You should have 12V reading when headlights are ON and 0V when headlights are OFF.
Old 06-08-07 | 09:29 PM
Baybarea
Driver

Just did steps #2, #3, & #4 had to wiat till it got dark and for a family member to see if the light came on. The fog light did come in step #2, but only on one side so I asume that the one that didn't come on is burnt out. So what does this mean if all 4 steps are a true, Fuses, Fog Light Bulbs (besides 1), and volt meter relay socket test light up?

Quick Reply: Fog Light Switch Mod