ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

headers? Y-Pipe? etc? is these any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 05:37 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

For headers? $1200 is the going rate for 1mz-fe JP Performance headers. Re-using the OEM headers & changing everything from the y-pipe back... Should come out under a grand.
The cat back exhaust & the intake - when you mod them you do get alittle power (say about 10bhp), but that's mostly for style, visuals & the massive sound improvement.

You do the y-pipe/cat and/or headers when you're serious about N/A performance.

Last edited by Pheonix; 05-27-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-27-07, 06:12 PM
huerdo623
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of exhaust and muffler?
Old 05-27-07, 06:57 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty562
so who wants to be the guinney pig to try this out? i'm so close to getting a custom made instead...
Someone already tried the Megan header on 1mzfe Solara, there is a second O2 sensor bung missing on the back manifold exhaust header.
Lexmex is right, the exhaust plumbing is different between the Camry and RX300, not sure about ES and Camry.
Old 05-27-07, 07:33 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

ES & Camry are the same.
The differances are in engine/engine generation, and M/T vs A/T.

Anywho. The headers will require modification regardless of what you try to put them on. The flanges for the OBX headers are a tell-tale sign that they're for the 94-96 1mz-fe headers. However... It has the wrong o2 sensor bungs. It is eqipped with 3vz-fe bolt down o2 sensor bungs, while the 1mz-fe uses screw in o2 sensors only.
The EGR bung will not mate to a 3vz-fe, and I've not seen the rear manifold of a 1mz-fe in longer than I remember, but I don't think the EGR pipe will line up with that either.
Old 05-27-07, 09:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

It has been confirmed they will not fit a 1999 vvt-i 1mz-fe. That rules out 1997+ 1mz-fe's.
Old 07-23-07, 12:44 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Has ANYONE volunteered to be the guinea pig for these to-date?
We're growing gray hair over on TN waiting on this one guy to install his; at least he took one step in buying them.
Anyone?
Old 07-23-07, 06:08 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

I dont know. Unless my exhaust rots out I personally dont think its worth the $$$ for the small hp gain. I actually like the stock sound of the toyota V6s
Old 07-25-07, 01:44 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Well to heck with it. I'll just do it.

Fired pics of the OBXs to the local exhaust pros here. They don't install headers, however, one of their techs does on the side, when the shop is closed. He's going to review the OBX headers and the 3VZ-FE and make sure he wants the job. Then the shop will install the remaining exhaust system.

The muffler I've tentatively picked out based on direct observation and comparison is the
JIC Stainless Steel Canister DE Type 2 (Part #: DET2SU-D, Inlet Diameter: 3.15" (80 mm), Tip Style: Dual) muffler. I'm seeing if that shop can pick one up for me or if I have to go out and fish for it on my own. I'm going with a I'm just waiting on the "go" word now from the header install bloke...
Old 07-26-07, 06:07 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha, guinea pig Slooooooow

Mind getting a before and after dyno while you're at it? You know people are bound to ask whether it's really worth it or not so you might as well have proof that headers and a custom y-pipe makes more of a difference.
Old 07-26-07, 06:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

If one can't get a dyno, often just running at a 1/4 mile track will show results before and after, noting weather conditions, gas tank level, etc.
Old 07-26-07, 08:51 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Well to heck with it. I'll just do it.

Fired pics of the OBXs to the local exhaust pros here. They don't install headers, however, one of their techs does on the side, when the shop is closed. He's going to review the OBX headers and the 3VZ-FE and make sure he wants the job. Then the shop will install the remaining exhaust system.

The muffler I've tentatively picked out based on direct observation and comparison is the
JIC Stainless Steel Canister DE Type 2 (Part #: DET2SU-D, Inlet Diameter: 3.15" (80 mm), Tip Style: Dual) muffler. I'm seeing if that shop can pick one up for me or if I have to go out and fish for it on my own. I'm going with a I'm just waiting on the "go" word now from the header install bloke...
mmmmmm nice new sig
Old 07-27-07, 07:18 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Wink

Originally Posted by Choas
mmmmmm nice new sig
Thanks, Brutha! Nothing like a healthy gal with a sculpted set of abs to put steam in a man's stride!

No word back from the email I sent to the exhaust company, clarifying what all I want done. I fear I might've scared them off a bit with the details; or they might've just expected me to call back. We'll see. Cross your fingers for me...
Old 07-27-07, 12:51 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory headers are pretty nice. Don't waste your money -- if you get an aftermarket exhaust you will feel the same difference with or without different headers Just take off the heat shields of the headers, grind the layer of rust off the headers and spray on some VHT high temp exhaust paint. Then use some DEI exhaust wrap on them. When I turn my car off, I can immediately put my hand on the header (with wrap) and only feel a little warmth.
Old 07-27-07, 01:44 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I hit up a few places.
Just got my first estimate in.
I went ahead and started a new thread about it so as not to threadjack this one with MY experience. So far it's a painful experience. Here and here.

Trying to cast as wide a net as possible to catch the experience and advice of the "Been There, Done That" veterans - like McEligott.
Old 07-27-07, 02:27 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quit making me read so much, my brain itches -- ill get you on aim and let you know some other options!

Quick Reply: headers? Y-Pipe? etc? is these any good?